First OB3 Image

Please post finished works here.
florian

First OB3 Image

Post by florian »

Hi guys, I am just messing around with some old scenes, the new OB and sIBL (http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/index.html) which did crash with OB2 but works fine now.

Cheers, Florian
Attachments
kray_render00000.jpg
kray_render00000.jpg (85.13 KiB) Viewed 7595 times
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Ah me likes! :)
jure

Post by jure »

Nice Florian. Zoom in a bit more and use some DOF with new random FSAA.
- Jure
florian

Post by florian »

jure wrote:Nice Florian. Zoom in a bit more and use some DOF with new random FSAA.
Thanks. I saw that new FSAA mode. Any hints for some good starting point with the settings?

Florian
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

The more ray's the better! :D Use about 10-100 rays
Set focal depth in lw camera, open Kray GUI wich will now have "DOF target" enabled. Chose a null or a object to keep focus on ( i use lightwaves preview dof shift+F9 to estimate the dof but then you also need to set the focal point in lw). I will ask Grzegorz to add Zbufferoutput to all the other buffers so we also can do DOF in post.
tiktane358

Post by tiktane358 »

I will ask Grzegorz to add Zbufferoutput

Do you mean it is as easy to ask ? I'll prepare my list ! :wink:

Dof is much more interresting in post (I think) because it need a lot of attention and is very long to render in 3d. And a DOf image is very diffucult to twick in Photoshop !!! (add details or plants)
florian

Post by florian »

tiktane358 wrote: Dof is much more interresting in post (I think) because it need a lot of attention and is very long to render in 3d. And a DOf image is very diffucult to twick in Photoshop !!! (add details or plants)
I like to do DOF in post as well but there are times when you need to do it in 3D, e.g. when you have transparent or reflective objects. Things behind the transparent surface or in the reflection wont get blurred.

When adding a proper Z Buffer export to Kray please make sure to add a Z-coverage-buffer and a "background rgb buffer". They are both needed to get good dof results in post.

Since the Z buffer is NOT antialiased post DOF effects will introduce artifacts at the boder of an object. The Z coverage buffer marks these edges. The background rgb buffer contains the pixels behind a pixel in the scene so you can blur against the pixel behind an objects edge.

More info can be found here (and probably some place elese):
http://sparks.discreet.com/knowledgebas ... nnels.html
http://www.fxguide.com/fxtips-114-print.html

I hope this made some sense :-)

Cheers, Florian
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Jut talked to G and he will add Zbuffer output tomorrow (already there but no output right now) He will try to fix both ,aliased and without.
Here is my simple DOF render 100 rays. With Zbuffer it takes as long as loading pshop.
Attachments
kray_render00000.png
kray_render00000.png (343.94 KiB) Viewed 7518 times
florian

Post by florian »

Silverlw wrote:Jut talked to G and he will add Zbuffer output tomorrow (already there but no output right now) He will try to fix both ,aliased and without.
Here is my simple DOF render 100 rays. With Zbuffer it takes as long as loading pshop.
Nice example. How about the other buffers I mentioned?

Cheers, Florian
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Right now it's
alpha
caustics
direct light
indirect light
other (?)
reflect
refract
textures

And will add Zbuffer

What else is needed?
florian

Post by florian »

Silverlw wrote:
What else is needed?
The two I mentioned above: background RGB and Z-buffer coverage. Besides that a UV channel, object ID and Raw RGB channel come to mind. some of them could be rendered out in a sperate pass in LW but that would mean axtra setup and rendertime.

The "other" buffer looked funny/interesting when I tested the buffer saver today. Maybe G can tell us what it is.

Cheers, Florian
florian

Post by florian »

Silverlw wrote: What else is needed?
Or take a look here what the D-Strom buffer saver offers:
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/archives/plugin ... /index.htm

It would be nice if we could choose which buffers and in which file format to save . Custom naming of the buffers would be another big pkus.

Cheers, Florian
florian

Post by florian »

Silverlw wrote: What else is needed?
The coolest thing on earth would be a buffer for every lightsource. I think maxwell has something like it.
With this one could adjust every light source on its own in post without the need to rerender.

Cheers, Florian
acidarrow

Post by acidarrow »

Motion vectors would be useful too, although there are already some good plugins that work (http://www.richardnichols.net/content/view/19/7/), they can't be used with kray (you have to make a quick render afterwards with lw engine).
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Here's a pretty much complete list of what I would like to have for comping. Some of them are lower priority than others, mind you.

*Diffuse illumination, divided up into direct and indirect, with no shadows for the direct pass and no texture information for either one (ie, just light value * color).
*Shadows
*Raw texture/color (same as rendering with no light, no trans, no reflections, and 100 % ambient)
*Reflections
*Transparency/refractions
*Specular
*Reflection occlusion
*Ambient occlusion
*Object ID
*Material ID
*World shading normal (useful for relighting in post)
*World geometry normal (useful for isolating areas for masks)
*Alpha (duh)
*Motion data

And, as further icing...

*Per-light buffers
*Per-object buffers, where it actually traces rays and renders stuff behind objects as well (this would be so goddamned sweet), so you can have, for example, one layer with your entire building (including everything obscured by glass), and one layer will all the glass, including an alpha that lets you just slide it on top in your compositing app of choice. Obviously, that might not work well with refractions, but still...

I will try to assemble a PSD file demonstrating stuff I want.