Animation questions

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
florian

Animation questions

Post by florian »

Hi,
I am still getting my feet wet with Kray and have a couple of questions regarding animations:

- can I render and save my GI solution when I have "Override Surace" ticked? This would be much faster.
- Is it OK to use save and load the GI File for every Frame or should I render something like every 2nd or 5th frame first and then the whole animation?
- What AA settings do you guys find most efficient for animation?
- Should I always set "Prerender" to 0% when using a saved GI solution?
- Is it save to untick ""FG reflections" and "FG transparency/refraction"?

Any setting recomendations would be a great help for me.

Cheers, Florian
florian

Post by florian »

Anyone?

Florian
Haven1000

Re: Animation questions

Post by Haven1000 »

Florian wrote:- can I render and save my GI solution when I have "Override Surace" ticked? This would be much faster.
Don't know never tried, I don't think you'd get GI colour bleed, just guessing though.
Florian wrote: - Is it OK to use save and load the GI File for every Frame or should I render something like every 2nd or 5th frame first and then the whole animation?
Depending on how fast the camera movement is, I normally have every 10-15 frames
Florian wrote: - What AA settings do you guys find most efficient for animation?
I've found it's really scene dependant, medium with adaptive sampling and some tweeking.
Florian wrote:- Should I always set "Prerender" to 0% when using a saved GI solution?
I've found this to work well and turn all photons to "0"
"Place your vote now for the Kraydar pixel filter"
jure

Post by jure »

I think you can render animation with Override surface option, but you won't get correct color bleeding if you do that.

Check also here for more about animation: http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewto ... =3314#3314
- What AA settings do you guys find most efficient for animation?
Use adaptive and don't go too low with Z and normal... If alot of your image is marked for AA then reduce settings...
Is it save to untick ""FG reflections" and "FG transparency/refraction"?
Usualy it's OK. But render a test before you do it...
- Jure
florian

Post by florian »

Hey guys, thanks for the tipps. I will try them later today.

Cheers, Florian
florian

Post by florian »

I have another question:
does a saved GI solution contain Photons and FG data or just Photons?

Florian
jure

Post by jure »

If you used "SAVE" while rendering in photon mapping with cached irradiance then it contains both.

But if you used SAVE when rendering in photon estimate it will only include photon estimate data (photons+irradiance).
- Jure
florian

Post by florian »

jure wrote:If you used "SAVE" while rendering in photon mapping with cached irradiance then it contains both.

But if you used SAVE when rendering in photon estimate it will only include photon estimate data (photons+irradiance).
Thanks.
Right now I am using photon mapping. Do I turn photons and FG rays down to 0 when using a saved solution?

Cheers, Florian
jure

Post by jure »

Yes turn everything down, just to be safe...
- Jure
florian

Post by florian »

jure wrote:Yes turn everything down, just to be safe...
Thanks for your help. :D I will report back tomorrow with the results.

Florian
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Uhm I take a risk here and jumps in without having read all earlier posts in detail..
You must use mode BOTH if you plan to do an animation with cached Photons/irradiancemap/Finalgather because when the camera changes view it has to shoot some additional Finalgatherrays for those areas previously not seen. With mode BOTH it will read and reuse the data it has and also update the globalillumination file when it needs to. Dont turn down FG rays to 0%, keep the settings as usual.
jure

Post by jure »

Silverlw wrote:Uhm I take a risk here and jumps in without having read all earlier posts in detail..
You must use mode BOTH if you plan to do an animation with cached Photons/irradiancemap/Finalgather because when the camera changes view it has to shoot some additional Finalgatherrays for those areas previously not seen. With mode BOTH it will read and reuse the data it has and also update the globalillumination file when it needs to. Dont turn down FG rays to 0%, keep the settings as usual.
Yes this is correct if you render animation in "one pass". But I think Florian went with "two pass" method where you first render in Both mode for every N frame without AA and then turn to Load mode, turn everything to 0 and render all final frames with needed AA.
- Jure
florian

Post by florian »

jure wrote: Yes this is correct if you render animation in "one pass". But I think Florian went with "two pass" method where you first render in Both mode for every N frame without AA and then turn to Load mode, turn everything to 0 and render all final frames with needed AA.
Thats correct which leads to the question which method is better or faster. I would gess that 2 pass is faster and 1 pass is saver because there will allways be enough GI data.

Florian
jure

Post by jure »

Yes, exactly.
2 pass method also gives you ability to test different AA settings...
- Jure
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

Florian wrote:
jure wrote: Yes this is correct if you render animation in "one pass". But I think Florian went with "two pass" method where you first render in Both mode for every N frame without AA and then turn to Load mode, turn everything to 0 and render all final frames with needed AA.
Thats correct which leads to the question which method is better or faster. I would gess that 2 pass is faster and 1 pass is saver because there will allways be enough GI data.

Florian
One thing to be wary about with the 2 pass method is, if you are rendering a sequence with prerender at 0%, all photon's at "0" and if you stop the sequence after a number of frames, then later continue the sequence you may find that there is a slight difference in the GI rendered between the last and first frame, a bit like image flicker.
"Place your vote now for the Kraydar pixel filter"