Larry's scene in Kray...

Please post finished works here.
Pheidian

Larry's scene in Kray...

Post by Pheidian »

Ok, here's the exterior image I came up with, hang in there we are updating this from this point more with Johny Q... :)

All modelling is done by Larry from Genesis 1 Studios, and this is his work, we just asked for this model to compare the Fprime render he made of this...

Here's the current result, in around 25 minutes. Was rendered with OB8 release.

jure

Post by jure »

lovely! :)
- Jure
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

very nice. good contrast and lighting. maybe you could share the scene lighting without the model. kray is just starting to do more good exteriors. It would be better if more people made a try at it. lets make a community as big as vray.
how_then

Post by how_then »

super !:shock: .......do you mind post some making???
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

Awesome !!!!

installing OB8 right now, this is looking great when compared to those pesky Vray exteriors, I think Kray is definitely getting there (when in good hands)

congrats

Matt -
J|L

Post by J|L »

stunning work !
nice shadows & textures....
darickster

Post by darickster »

i recognise the pot :wink:

great attempt, i like the rhoughness in the walls/grass.

maybe some bloom to cover up jaggies..

would be cool to lose the gras underneath the bushes, they grow better on soil :P :P

good to see kraypeople teaming up!

cheers

ric
Pheidian

Post by Pheidian »

Thanks for the replies! As I already said, this is still "first version" of the final layout (as in intances are in place roughly etc), so We'll be tweaking this up more...

Maybe could also tweak the contrast just a little in the render, as in the sunlight balance, maybe make it more inviting, warm up the colours a bit, but this is basically all in tonemapping procedure to tweak this kind of stuff...

Basic exterior setup is:

Textured Environment: Sunsky plugin, with setup:

Turbidity: 4.0
Horizon Bright: 0.5
Horizon Gradient -> Backscatter (all rest): 1.0

Nothing big tweaking, then just spotlight as sun, with sunspot 1km away, very warm yellow / orange colour, this will create quite white result when blue from Textured environment and sun will mix, and other is blue or yellowish...

Here's a little update, 3 minutes more in render time, increased FG and little more AA, also tweaked the contrast little, I think it's more inviting now, little less blue in shadows and little more light...

Pheidian

Post by Pheidian »

Ok, another angle for the same render, I know the tile ground is wrong, coz it's modelled parts didnt quite fit, just added the texture quickly there ;)

Around 28 minutes for this one too...

geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Thanks for the tip. Looking really good. The grass is good and ofcourse this renders way faster than vray displacement. Some objects look overbright though.
How bright is the spotlight sun and inverse setting, cone angle, soft edge angle?
Can you show your kray settings for photon and fg,etc ? are the setting very different from interiors like tone mapping, etc?
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

This is brilliant, the lighting is stunning, and the stucco and plants look fantastic.

However, some of the texturing isn't great. The brick texture in particular for me stands out as being poor and lets the whole image down. Also the front door has a single texture over the whole surface, which is incorrect. In reality it would be made up of a number of pieces whose textures would be slightly different. As it is it looks wrong.

Speaking as an architect, some of the modelling isn't right either. There is a recess that shouldn't be there where the bricks and stucco walls meet the ground.

The stucco/stone band should project over the bricks at the front creating a shadow under it. it looks flush at the moment, something looks a little strange here. In reality, this would be made of stone - or a concrete equivalent. The scalloped top of the tower would be the same material. I have never seen any craftsman able to create stucco like that. Also, the walls need a capping of some kind.

I don't mean to be too critical because the render is excellent. However I have seen your other work, and it seems to me like you really look for perfection ;)

In these terms, it's good, it's very good, but it's not perfect.

We are getting into this difficult area where because the render is so good, anything that immediately looks wrong stands out. In some respects it's bad for architecture, because if you show a client something that looks this real, they will expect something that looks exactly the same when it is built. Images like this blur the boundary between reality and fantasy. It's really interesting, but at the same time quite dangerous, and we are getting into the Disney type architecture debate that we had on the forum a little while ago.

Some of these details can't be built exactly as shown, and if a contractor tries, they will fail. This may happen during construction, or a little while afterwards when the building is in use.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if these images are for sales or client presentation, the finished building just will not look the same as the image, and certainly not as good!

But, architectural issues aside, they are excellent renders. I can't wait to see the finished image(s)!
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

Hey alright! Looking good. I've attached my original for comparision. The lighting setup I have in this scene is pretty much from one of the scenes Jure posted in the material section of this forum rendered with FPrime. I had to rush this job at the end, so I know the grass texture isn't the best...

My initial comments....I think the lighting is very solid, and I particularly like the contrast of lighting shown with the shadows...very nice. I think the vegetation looks great. The grass looks good, and the 3D plants really help sell the image with that lighting. I think the texture on the stucco looks solid, as well as the door (kind of a more weathered look, nice!).

Where I feel the image lacks, and it looked like you were going to address this, is the over all color of the home. The home has a very desaturated look to, grayish feeling, not very warm. I understand one can change the color of stucco etc. but even the brick tile is desaturated.

So other than that...I think you guys are definitely on the right path, it's just needs to be warmer.

bigstick...I agree with you on the arch. error of there needing to be a recess before the brick meets the concrete, nice eye. The other comment of stucco trim above the brick, my render shows that, strange the one Pheidian showed does look like it's flush with the brick. P.S. I totally agree with you on getting so close to realism that it can become a double edge sword. The slightest thing can through the whole thing off.

darickster...these guys have been great and it's been cool teaming up for stuff like this. Great community.
Attachments
G1S_Verona Courtyard_sm.jpg
Larry V

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is
the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.
Pheidian

Post by Pheidian »

Thanks for the very detailed commenting and little philosophic talk also ;)

Anyway, as said, I know some textures are still bad, I used the base from Larry's scene (same textures), I know it looks a little grayish, coz I changed the colour of the stucco from your model since I didn't like it ;)

I was aiming for the more white stucco look instead of that brown / orange stucco it's in your image, we can change that as well as saturate the bricks if you want more exact comparison in your original image, the colour choise was just a artistic freedom I took ;)
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

Pheidian wrote:Anyway, as said, I know some textures are still bad, I used the base from Larry's scene (same textures), I know it looks a little grayish, coz I changed the color of the stucco from your model since I didn't like it ;)

I was aiming for the more white stucco look instead of that brown / orange stucco it's in your image, we can change that as well as saturate the bricks if you want more exact comparison in your original image, the colour choise was just a artistic freedom I took ;)
Gee thanks Pheidian, are you saying my textures are bad? darickster said he liked the roughness on the walls. :P

I don't think the color choice is bad per se, maybe it's those color choices with that lighting, it makes the over all look of the home look washed out, desaturated. I think with a different color lighting it might give it that more warm feeling.
Larry V

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is
the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.
Pheidian

Post by Pheidian »

I got a question about the trees and plants I'm using in work, so I'll just reply here so all can see the same answer then :)

I usee Onyx Trees, Evermotion plants and furniture.

This exterior uses bushes and large trees from http://www.onyxtree.com/ Broadleaf generator I just bought, it has quite good lwo exporter too, which makes uv maps etc, and you can tweak the trees and bushes to your liking.

Those pots with plants are Evermotion stuff, basically european people may want to buy them from Trinity 3D (Based in USA), since there the prices are 120 USD, which mean 80 euros in europe... as in Evermotion site the stuff is 99 Euro :)