How about little update information?

General disscusion about Kray
Pheidian

How about little update information?

Post by Pheidian »

Hey! I know of what I've heard of the dev progress of the Kray now, but would it be impossible to give little insight on how the things are going, some estimates etc to give us normal users something to wait for :)

I'm not saying you should tell any deadlines or so, but just some update of what has been already worked on, what we should expect and so on...

Thanks G. and IB guys for doing the great work!
jure

Post by jure »

Right now we're trying to finish lightportals. We have also decided on feature freeze. This means that we won't be adding new features which may brake the code instead we will focus on stability and killing all the bugs we can find. There are several more OB's planned and then we can hopefully release a very solid software.
- Jure
dballesg_forum

Post by dballesg_forum »

Oh,

This are really good news. I really like the "hopefully release a very solid software."

That would be awesome.

Only remember that 9.5 can affect a LOT to the SDK!! A lot of changes done right now.

David.
jure

Post by jure »

Yes all the changes in 9.x cycle are causing some problems to Kray development. I hope it doesn't take too much time or introduce too many bugs though.
- Jure
Pheidian

Post by Pheidian »

This all sounds very nice, and what I've heard from the king sources of the IB guys, there aint TOO huge bugs anymore to tackle, in terms of basic use for archviz...

Can't wait to get my hands on with this stuff...
vsele

Post by vsele »

Please do something about Time interpolation...that is a big issue to solve....otherwise we couldn't be able to move something (except cameras)during animation without having long render times and sploches everywhere... ...Pleaseeeeeeee :cry:
jure

Post by jure »

Alright I feel like I have to let you know what's going on. We haven't been able to finish the release this week. It looks good for next week though. We need to fix 2 bugs and then we can release...
- Jure
dballesg_forum

Post by dballesg_forum »

Jure, it is solved the bug of endomorphs with instances?

http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

I didn't tried with displacement maps on world coordnates, but would be usefulk to animate instanced trees?

David
jure

Post by jure »

Will check it...
- Jure
except

Post by except »

I have to say, I have not been able to use Kray for months now. the projects for which I need it keep throwing up problems. Mostly with flickering on surfaces in time interpolation mode. I've gone over them with SilverLW but every time we solve them in one spot, they start happening somewhere else.

I've reported exhaustively on them and sent in scene files and everything... I've tried everything i can think of, almost every week I give it another shot. Subdividing them, changing the surfaces, changing every kray setting under the sun, it won't go away. (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gr7iaexxomy here's a good example)

In addition simple enveloped dissolve of objects doesn't work which requires huge workarounds with comping together many passes and so on.

I hope the new update comes out soon, but I'd like to ask if at the same time someone could write a little tutorial on how to use skyportals with photon mapping mode. all my scenes are setup with Lightmapping and I'd need to convert them. In the hope the problems go away in this other mode.

And I would really appreciate dissolve support. It's such a basic function. It's fine if it uses transparency rather than a true dissolve, Lightwave does that too, as long as the object dissapears at 0% and is there at 100% and some stuff happens in between.
jure

Post by jure »

except wrote:I have to say, I have not been able to use Kray for months now. the projects for which I need it keep throwing up problems. Mostly with flickering on surfaces in time interpolation mode. I've gone over them with SilverLW but every time we solve them in one spot, they start happening somewhere else.
Hmm I'm not familiar about what you two have been talking about. But time interpolation mode wasn't tested very much so I'm sure there are problems. That's why your feedback is very valuable. Just post to bug section and I'll take care of it.
except wrote: I've reported exhaustively on them and sent in scene files and everything... I've tried everything i can think of, almost every week I give it another shot. Subdividing them, changing the surfaces, changing every kray setting under the sun, it won't go away. (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gr7iaexxomy here's a good example)
sorry can't download file, it seems it's not available anymore.
except wrote:
In addition simple enveloped dissolve of objects doesn't work which requires huge workarounds with comping together many passes and so on.

I hope the new update comes out soon, but I'd like to ask if at the same time someone could write a little tutorial on how to use skyportals with photon mapping mode. all my scenes are setup with Lightmapping and I'd need to convert them. In the hope the problems go away in this other mode.
Yes we will be providing description and a free sample scene along with it.
except wrote:
And I would really appreciate dissolve support. It's such a basic function. It's fine if it uses transparency rather than a true dissolve, Lightwave does that too, as long as the object dissapears at 0% and is there at 100% and some stuff happens in between.
It's on the roadmap for OB9.
- Jure
except

Post by except »

jure wrote: Hmm I'm not familiar about what you two have been talking about. But time interpolation mode wasn't tested very much so I'm sure there are problems. That's why your feedback is very valuable. Just post to bug section and I'll take care of it.
I posted it a long time ago here: http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1178
sorry can't download file, it seems it's not available anymore.
Try this: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gr7iaexxomy
dballesg_forum

Post by dballesg_forum »

Hi,

I did a little scene trying to displace instances with a Displacement Map. Maybe it works but I am doing something wrong? I didn't touched Kray on the last month, so maybe I configured something badly.

I think the render can even be faster. I tried to render the sequence, and the plant do not move, not even the original objecct that you can see in Layout has the leaves animated.

I tried to attach the scene, objects and textures, on a rar, but the forum says I reached my quota limit of 1 mb????

David
jure

Post by jure »

Please open a new topic for this. Quota limit is set because we have limited amount of disk space available on server.
- Jure
dballesg_forum

Post by dballesg_forum »

HI Jure,

I tried to create a new topic, and the scene still do not upload. It is a 100Kb file!!! :( GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Can you pm an email address were to sent it to you?

Thanks in advance
David