64 bits - xp64 vs vista64

General disscusion about Kray
_mats_

64 bits - xp64 vs vista64

Post by _mats_ »

Hi Guys -

I am debating whether to move 4 computers to 64 bits for using with LW64 and kray64, it seems the logical way to go since all the scenes and projects are getting complex in terms of size and memory requirements.

I was wondering, is kray as stable (or more stable) as the 32 bits version? and which is the better way to go? xp64 or vista 64?

Thanks !!

Matt -
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

My honest opinion is that Vista plain sucks. If you have the ability go for XP64 and get a less cluttered/memory hungry platform. I run 64bit LW9.3.1 and Kray6.5 and it's the most stable version so far for me. No problems at all.
phile_forum

Post by phile_forum »

I recently went 64-bit and I chose XP.

Although I do see people saying Vista is OK, my view is that I wouldn't touch it before the first service pack comes out, and this appears to be the general attitude amongst the businesses I deal with too. None of them have adopted Vista yet.

In addition, Vista apparently requires a significant amount of your PC's processing power just to sit doing nothing - hardly an ideal platform when you want as much power as possible going towards rendering stuff. The time will come when we have no choice over this of course, but until then I shall stick with XP x64.

Phil
Planet Indifferent - CGI by Phil Emery
http://www.planetindifferent.co.uk
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

Sounds like a plan, I was leaning on XP from the start also.

So XP64 vs XP32 is or does it "feel" more stable overall? (using kray)?
fulvio

Post by fulvio »

I'm using vista64 from last summer with no problem, it's very stable OS but I can't compare with xp64 because I'd never used it.
The only note is that vista require more ram ....
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

64-bit Vista runs fine on my machine.
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

Great, going to best buy shortly and install XP64 on a separate physical HD on all machines, will try dual boot first.

I hope Kray 64 development is as swift as 32 was, it will definitely help me render problematic scenes RAM-wise

64 is the way to go it seems.
domingoj

32 and 64 bit

Post by domingoj »

if i will buy kray, does it comes in 32 and 64 bit platform? the reason i ask is, my pc at home is 32bit and the pc im using in the office is 64bit.

i have tested LW on 64bit xp pro and it's really fast. fast like for final render with 3k plus resolution is below 30 minutes. a test render with 1200 x 800 resolution is under 5 minutes. i am talking about scene with 3D trees, 3Dcars, 3Dpeople and buildings. can i get an information on how fast kray render time is for a large resolution final image? thanks
acidarrow

Post by acidarrow »

Yes, when you buy kray you get x32, x64 and MacUB32 versions.
pixym

Post by pixym »

If I have a single advice, it would be to Avoid Vista 64!
Vista 64 needs far too much RAM? So go for XP 64.

P.S.: I have vista 64, and I simply regret this choise!
Eddy MARILLAT
PIXYM
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

Thanks pixym -

I installed XP64 (dual boot for now), glad to report the memory issue I had was fixed in the next release, I will slowly migrate everything to X64 should have done that from the start.

good times coming for Kray !