Restaurant (interior)

Please post finished works here.
fulvio

Restaurant (interior)

Post by fulvio »

This is one of my kray's works.
Render time is about 30 minutes for 1280x1024 images resolution (I've reduced for the post), with a quad core.

Suggestions and advices are welcome.

Thanks.
Attachments
ksala_c2_37m38s_1280.jpg
ksala_c1_29m08s_1280.jpg
Janusz Biela

Re: Restaurant (interior)

Post by Janusz Biela »

ok suggestion:

Renders are dark without colors, "washing renders"...

1/ Please add area lights in windows with PowersShader
2/ Add Power shader for Sun (minimum 10)
3/ double surface on mirror
4/ add backgroud view 100% luminosity with raytracing Kray shader and uncheck all shadows + unseen by radiosity
5/ better floor
6/ better lamps on the ceiling (now are crap)
7/ better chairs
8/ better radiation (spatial is too big: try 0.08 )
9/ sunsky in Texture enviroment
10/ You can delate all tables and chairs (please use only one with stuff on table: dishes, glass, flowers, cloath, etc) and after thad load it in layout and use Instances
11/ diffuse on walls : 85%
12/ ceiling is too flat: make hols in for ambient light .
fulvio

Post by fulvio »

Johny_quick wrote:ok suggestion:

Renders are dark without colors, "washing renders"...

1/ Please add area lights in windows with PowersShader
2/ Add Power shader for Sun (minimum 10)
3/ double surface on mirror
4/ add backgroud view 100% luminosity with raytracing Kray shader and uncheck all shadows + unseen by radiosity
5/ better floor
6/ better lamps on the ceiling (now are crap)
7/ better chairs
8/ better radiation (spatial is too big: try 0.08 )
9/ sunsky in Texture enviroment
10/ You can delate all tables and chairs (please use only one with stuff on table: dishes, glass, flowers, cloath, etc) and after thad load it in layout and use Instances
11/ diffuse on walls : 85%
12/ ceiling is too flat: make hols in for ambient light .

Thanks for your reply and advice.
I'll try to follow your suggest but I've some question
1) why I've to use area light instead of LightPortal ??
4) what do U mean with "background view 100% luminosity ..." ??
9) I'm using Photonmap, is not only the Lighmap model that take in account the environment color ??

Thanks
jure

Post by jure »

pixeldust wrote:
Thanks for your reply and advice.
I'll try to follow your suggest but I've some question
1) why I've to use area light instead of LightPortal ??
4) what do U mean with "background view 100% luminosity ..." ??
9) I'm using Photonmap, is not only the Lighmap model that take in account the environment color ??

Thanks
What Janusz said are all good tips. Let me try to answer some of your questions:
1) Area lights produce very nice shadows because area lights are computed as direct rays. Therefore you will get much better shadows this way.
4) I think what he means is to add a polygon outside to act as background photo (so u don't have white in windows). Use setup like he suggested.
9) Photonmap doesn't know about the backdrop. You must use Lightmap to get correct radiation from backdrop. You can also forget about lightportals then.
- Jure
fulvio

Post by fulvio »

jure wrote: What Janusz said are all good tips. Let me try to answer some of your questions:
1) Area lights produce very nice shadows because area lights are computed as direct rays. Therefore you will get much better shadows this way.
4) I think what he means is to add a polygon outside to act as background photo (so u don't have white in windows). Use setup like he suggested.
9) Photonmap doesn't know about the backdrop. You must use Lightmap to get correct radiation from backdrop. You can also forget about lightportals then.
Thanks for the clarifycation.
I never used lightmap because I've belived that photonmap is better but now I understand that I'm wrong, for this kind of scenes.
Now I'm trying some environmet settings but it's strange to use area light in the windows, I've always thinked that with kray I've not to use "filling light" or sometinghs like that.
Thanks again.
jure

Post by jure »

pixeldust wrote: Thanks for the clarifycation.
I never used lightmap because I've belived that photonmap is better but now I understand that I'm wrong, for this kind of scenes.
Now I'm trying some environmet settings but it's strange to use area light in the windows, I've always thinked that with kray I've not to use "filling light" or sometinghs like that.
Thanks again.
There's not better or worse here... There are some advantages that Photonmap has and there are some that Lightmaps have... Which one you choose it's up to you.
In theory you should be able to get better result with Photonmap since photons come directly from the direction of lightsource. But when you put it to work there are some gotchas that can make it quite a bit harder to work with.
Lightmaps on the other hands are very easy to setup but require some extra tricks to get the best quality out...
- Jure
fulvio

Post by fulvio »

jure wrote: There's not better or worse here... There are some advantages that Photonmap has and there are some that Lightmaps have... Which one you choose it's up to you.
In theory you should be able to get better result with Photonmap since photons come directly from the direction of lightsource. But when you put it to work there are some gotchas that can make it quite a bit harder to work with.
Lightmaps on the other hands are very easy to setup but require some extra tricks to get the best quality out...
Well, now I'm following the lightmap way like Janusz's suggest and then I post the result and some other little questions.

Thanks
ana028

Post by ana028 »

And the light portals setup standard config ??? All my new works have the standard kray light portals setup. Similar to the free scene with light portals in kray wiki http://www.kraytracing.com/resources/li ... al-tut.zip

I know that the area lights can be useful in many situations, but I thought that the area lights on windows were the past of kray. I would like to see an actual setup for kray with area lights on windows and compare with similar scene with standard light portal setup to see the difference between the two setups.

Regards.
fulvio

Post by fulvio »

I was busy in the last day and now I've time to try to follow the suggestions.
While I'm modelling the new stuff I'm trying the new setup, attacched the result.
Like suggested there are 2 area light (power multipler 5.0, invD^2, int 50%), out, in front of the windows, one spot for the sun and the skylight environment.

How can have more better corner result for the ceiling ??
Other setting are
FG 200 - 1000
st 0.07
Sampling high (default preset)

Is this light setup correct ?? ... and is this the better way to follow with this kind of scenes ??

If I have to add area light and use lightmap instead of photonmap and lightportal, which is the case to take advantage of photonmap setup ??
Thanks for your reply but it's hard, for me, to understand the different method setup to use.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
skylight.jpg
perspective.jpg
ksala_c2_02a.jpg
ksala_c1_02a.jpg
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

For me now is best:
Lightmap mode+ Area lights outside (1 m from windows, 50-70% size of windows with Power minimum 10 (blue colour) , Sun 6-10 Power beige colour, inside in darks areas Area on ceiling with Power minimum 15 (very warm colour: deep beige, orange) . Power in Kray must be under 1.0. If You have 20 windows , please use 10-15 Area lights. Diffuse maximum 85%.
Deep blue background for reflections (no sunsky). Minimum 20 bounce light (becouse photons must mix colours in scene) and the important : great idea :twisted:
nico

Post by nico »

wow...now it's very good the lighting.
:shock:
jure

Post by jure »

pixeldust wrote:I was busy in the last day and now I've time to try to follow the suggestions.
While I'm modelling the new stuff I'm trying the new setup, attacched the result.
Like suggested there are 2 area light (power multipler 5.0, invD^2, int 50%), out, in front of the windows, one spot for the sun and the skylight environment.

How can have more better corner result for the ceiling ??
Other setting are
FG 200 - 1000
st 0.07
Sampling high (default preset)

Is this light setup correct ?? ... and is this the better way to follow with this kind of scenes ??

If I have to add area light and use lightmap instead of photonmap and lightportal, which is the case to take advantage of photonmap setup ??
Thanks for your reply but it's hard, for me, to understand the different method setup to use.

Thanks for your help.
You can also try skydome with HDRI, luminous 300% or more + luminosity power 30... I get good light even without area lights this way.
- Jure
ana028

Post by ana028 »

I usually used this skydome Jure... :) but I think that in certainly scenes the area lights can produced better lighting.
fulvio

Post by fulvio »

Well ... with your advice and a little tweak with photoshop (level) this is the result ... I've to change the (red) table-cloth surface and add another background plane because the mirror on the bench reflect the environment ...
I think that render time is high for this resolution but I've used high AA presets for noise removal, but I don't know how can change it for better time result.
Tables, stuffs, chairs and lamps are instances.
Attachments
ksala_c2_02e.jpg
ksala_c1_02e2.jpg
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

wow, looks great !

Huge improvement over the original lighting you had.

Congrats !

Matt -