Kray and Lightwave CORE

General disscusion about Kray
khan973_forum

Kray and Lightwave CORE

Post by khan973_forum »

Has everybody watched the Live show where Newtek presented the new Lightwave Core?
It's a completely new development with great new improvements, in terms of SDK, much more possibilities!!!
So how is Kray gonna handle those incoming big changes???
jure

Re: Kray and Lightwave CORE

Post by jure »

It looks exciting! :)
- Jure
khan973_forum

Post by khan973_forum »

I work in a communication company, and there's a rule to follow, the bigger the teasing, the bigger the reveal.
The announcement itself is great, but for the big noise Newtek made, th unworking streaming, then the boring cheesy video didn't match the enphasis made by the wait.
I truely think by reading the program that this Core version will bring Lightwave to a higher place, but it also relies on many factors.
Will they manage to be active, in the exhibitions, schools, Europe?
Is their new business plan matching their today's'customers habits or wallet?
Will the 3rd party developpers be as active as they used to be?
To me, the new platform should bring high quality plugins, stuff such as Fume fx should be easier to adapt to the core version.

Kray integration should become seemless / flawless !
Well, personnaly, informations are quite light today, and to me this reveal was more press oriented or for the active community of plugins developpers than user focused.
They should know what people expect today, and showing instances or a cube drawn with a tablet, is not groundbreaking or jaw dropping to anyone.
Maybe they should have wait to be ready to show exciting renderings, dynamic stuff, rigging possibilities and so on.
From what i've read on modo, newtek and other forums, many people could be leaving lightwave because of what they saw and the lack of precision about the pricing policy.

Please share your feelings!
By the way, they got me wanting to try python or c++ :)
jure

Post by jure »

Oh I feel quite the opposite. This *IS* what I've been waiting for. Yes the presentation was bad and they messed up the stream - but the CORE features sound fantastic.

• node-based structure
  • referencing and instancing
  • full LightWave CORE™ access via the SDK (flexible, and extensible. Any component created via the LightWave CORE™ SDK can install and become available to any other portion of the application.)
  • fully multi-threaded
  • multi-processor and GPU aware
  • fully customizable interface (Qt Toolkit )
  • unified dynamics environment (everything interacts with everything)
  • 3d paint tools
  • modifier stack
  • history
  • runs on 32/64bit windows, Mac COCOA, Linux

I mean what more could you wish for?

Now all left to see is how it will actually work in reality.
- Jure
khan973_forum

Post by khan973_forum »

I tottally understand, but don't get me wrong, it looks amazing on the technical side and the new approach seems really smart.
Relying on an existing platform is smart. We will have an open software, usable and adaptable to many pipelines (even linux ones), save money on renderfarms with linux .
I just wanna be careful with what they call unique features, lightwave having it finally doesn't mean it's'new to the market.
It kind of reminds me windows towards osx.

I'm really excited, but to me all those efforts, exciting features only mean if they double that with a real action on the communication/marketing and business side (can't really find the right word, i'm french).
Otherwise, they won't gain much users (especially here in europe), won't have schools to tech it, won't have companies asking for lw killers.
I truely hope they'll put efforts on that side that has been left behind for a long time. I( always irritate me, piss me off or makes me sad to see that many studios here haven't even heard about LW...t
Besides that, it's'always great to have improvements.
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

jure wrote:Oh I feel quite the opposite. This *IS* what I've been waiting for. Yes the presentation was bad and they messed up the stream - but the CORE features sound fantastic.

• node-based structure
  • referencing and instancing
  • full LightWave CORE™ access via the SDK (flexible, and extensible. Any component created via the LightWave CORE™ SDK can install and become available to any other portion of the application.)
  • fully multi-threaded
  • multi-processor and GPU aware
  • fully customizable interface (Qt Toolkit )
  • unified dynamics environment (everything interacts with everything)
  • 3d paint tools
  • modifier stack
  • history
  • runs on 32/64bit windows, Mac COCOA, Linux

I mean what more could you wish for?

Now all left to see is how it will actually work in reality.
I couldn't agree more. Full access to the same SDK the devs. are using...great for guys like G.

I'd be really curious to see G.'s response after looking at the Tech FAQ's. and how he thinks this will effect the Kray development. So G. if you're readying, could you please post in here to your user base and tell us what your initial thoughts are with the future of Kray an LW Core.
Larry V

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is
the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.
pixym

Post by pixym »

Where do you read 3d paint tool???
Eddy MARILLAT
PIXYM
khan973_forum

Post by khan973_forum »

I was about to ask the same question!
I haven't read it anywhere, I just thought it was an info we don't have yet!
Let's'see how it goes :)
jure

Post by jure »

Ah i just made that up seeing the Jonas demo the "painting cubes" with strokes. And let's face it - if it's not there it will be a letdown. ;)
- Jure
pixym

Post by pixym »

Thanks for the clarification Jure…
Eddy MARILLAT
PIXYM
trick

Post by trick »

jure wrote:Ah i just made that up seeing the Jonas demo the "painting cubes" with strokes. And let's face it - if it's not there it will be a letdown. ;)
I have no doubt there will be 3d painting with Core, but the strokes were nothing more then gesture based modeling (you record a mouse movement and tie it to a function, just as you do with a keystroke).