Exposure and gamma and AA tip

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
tajino

Post by tajino »

Haven1000 wrote: ...handle and retain 32bpc data.
32bpc data as all textures into LW?? :shock: you must be joking, how many images could you load in per scene on a 2G limit? let alone have enough ram to do large render, of course unless you're on 64bit, that i can say nothing. :)
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

tajino wrote:
Haven1000 wrote: ...handle and retain 32bpc data.
32bpc data as all textures into LW?? :shock: you must be joking, how many images could you load in per scene on a 2G limit? let alone have enough ram to do large render, of course unless you're on 64bit, that i can say nothing. :)
Obviously most of my image textures AFTER PS tweaking are 24bit. :wink:
"Place your vote now for the Kraydar pixel filter"
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

FUI. Gregorz have written some new experimental colour/tonemapping algorithm now that seem to be very promising. I havent tried it yet but it's supposed to further improve Kray's Dynamic and colourhandling. I will tell more about this when i have more info.
tajino

Post by tajino »

when did he added that? after OB 2.85? has he recovered? if so, it is so good to hear about that. Thanks.
florian

Post by florian »

Silverlw wrote:FUI. Gregorz have written some new experimental colour/tonemapping algorithm now that seem to be very promising. I havent tried it yet but it's supposed to further improve Kray's Dynamic and colourhandling. I will tell more about this when i have more info.
Thats sounds great. Cant wait for the next OB. Any word on when it will be out?

Florian
tiktane358

Post by tiktane358 »

yes, it would be great to have a new toy to play with !!! :D
direwolf

Post by direwolf »

Since more user, just like me, are struggeling with gammacorrection here are two solutions:

1) Manually correct you RGB with the next formula:
Corrected R = 255 * (uncorrected R / 255) ^ 2.2
Corrected G = 255 * (uncorrected G / 255) ^ 2.2
Corrected B = 255 * (uncorrected B / 255) ^ 2.2
* 2.2 is used as gamma here

2) I used a nodes for the three individual colors RGB first. But this made life even easier. Add the gammacorrecternode to your surface. Change to value to 1/2.2 (=0.4546), add a colornode and attach.
The best is by selecting all materials and disable the nodes, you've got gamma 1 back. So now you can see the actual color as you adjust it, and use these for lw-native renders.
http://www.auroragrafx.com/LW_Plugins/gammacnode.zip

Since OB3 uses nodes this works like a charm.
Sure, disabling all nodes on more complex nodebased materials will show up different. But the idea of quickswitching is ideal for me.
direwolf

Post by direwolf »

Appears that the nodeplugin works but not waterproof. Some surfaces end up rendered black in Kray.
No problem since it's easily replaced by my "old" way.

I attached a screenshot of the nodes used. All default lightwavenodes, so no compabilityproblems.

Nodes can be copy-pasted or even exported for speeding up the proces.
Attachments
gamma_correction.jpg
gamma_correction.jpg (139.61 KiB) Viewed 5979 times
direwolf

Post by direwolf »

Added an scenes with basic kray setup.
Render at gamma 1 without nodes active, and render at gamma 2.2 with the nodes active.

Works like a charm.
Attachments
gamma.lwo
(49.29 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
gamma.lws
(11.11 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
florian

Post by florian »

Silverlw wrote:FUI. Gregorz have written some new experimental colour/tonemapping algorithm now that seem to be very promising. I havent tried it yet but it's supposed to further improve Kray's Dynamic and colourhandling. I will tell more about this when i have more info.
Is that feature in OB3 and if yes, how do I enable it?

Florian
jure

Post by jure »

Direwolf wrote:Appears that the nodeplugin works but not waterproof. Some surfaces end up rendered black in Kray.
No problem since it's easily replaced by my "old" way.
Hey thanks for this! Could you also post a surface that is causing black renders with gamma correction node so we can check it?
- Jure
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

Is there a Mac version?
"Place your vote now for the Kraydar pixel filter"
direwolf

Post by direwolf »

No, mac-version. The plugin is created by Aurora. Read more on this topic here. You can still use the methode as in the screenshot, since those are all lw-native nodes. After setting it up once just select all the nodes and copy-paste them.

I'm working my own gamma-correctplugin, even easier to setup and more powerfull. Combining the colornode and the gammacorrect into one. Figuring out right now if i can get the default color out of the selected surfacecolor. This helps you correcting the gamma afterwards.
Although duplicating the color goes pretty fast with Picky too.

<<<>>>

Jure, i will recreate my error for you. It has happened more then once today so i should be able to redo that.