Diplacements work here.

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
brownie

Diplacements work here.

Post by brownie »

I've always read on this forum, that displacement didn't work, si i never tried before.
But after only a couple of minutes I got some good result with a super simple setup.

So, what do you mean when you all say that disp. doesn't work?

NOte : of course this is not a simple normal map.
medzo

Re: Diplacements work here.

Post by medzo »

:shock:
well, how did you do it?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Nice effect.
Of course this is FAKE displacement. real displacemet does not exist in LW....
jure

Post by jure »

Well I wouldn't call it fake.. It's real as any other displacement the only problem is that it depends on the density of polygons in the mesh. The displacement we would like to have is the one where displacement adaptively subdivides mesh during rendering based on size of pixel/polygon.
- Jure
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

jure wrote:Well I wouldn't call it fake.. It's real as any other displacement the only problem is that it depends on the density of polygons in the mesh. The displacement we would like to have is the one where displacement adaptively subdivides mesh during rendering based on size of pixel/polygon.

Sorry I did not specify my answer..."fake" in this case means Displacement independent from density of polygon :wink:
brownie

Post by brownie »

Well no matter the technology behind, and even if I agree to say that something like Zbrush displacement would be a great addition, I think it's a bit annoying to let curious readers -who visit our site to consider Kray as a future investment- believe it's unable to make proper displacement.
Ok, it needs subpatch, and requires a huge amount of RAM, but it works, and can be a great help.

And for those who don't know, just enable Displacement in Object property, Nodes and traditional textures actually work.
jure

Post by jure »

brownie wrote:Well no matter the technology behind, and even if I agree to say that something like Zbrush displacement would be a great addition, I think it's a bit annoying to let curious readers -who visit our site to consider Kray as a future investment- believe it's unable to make proper displacement.
Ok, it needs subpatch, and requires a huge amount of RAM, but it works, and can be a great help.

And for those who don't know, just enable Displacement in Object property, Nodes and traditional textures actually work.
Thanks, I wasn't actually aware we were giving such an impression. Will keep this in mind next time we talk about displacements here...
- Jure
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

It was the impression I was getting, so it's good to know it works and we can use it. but still keep up the development on adaptive subdivision displacement though.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

IMHO displacement is first on the list. I know many people wants VR, better network render etc. but without this feature renders (a specially exteriors) are poor....
archijam

Post by archijam »

Janusz - Agreed.

This is one area in which VRay does particularly well.

One example from a recent ChaosGroup presentation (at FMX.de) showed great uses ..
For example think a ground surface, and a manhole cover - you can displace the texture based on the proximity to objects, in this case to automatically displace the terrain down around the cover, making a bevel in the pavement, even with a very low res mesh (or even a single polygon) ... REALLY useful.
khan973

Post by khan973 »

I'm sure some kind of nerd could make a node to do that.