Need help with GI settings for animation

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
jrandom

Need help with GI settings for animation

Post by jrandom »

I'm trying to figure out what settings I should use for this animation. While there isn't much movement, it still affects the lighting enough that I can't use a statically-cached GI solution. I'm new enough to KRay that I haven't been able to figure this out on my own and could use some pointers in the right direction.

Attached are two renders, one from Lightwave and the other from KRay. While they both look okay as individual frames they both fail the shimmer test horribly. :| I've also been unable to get the blurry reflections in KRay to look consistently good across all materials.

Scene File: http://www.rainybrain.org/Assets/Lightw ... r_Test.zip

(This scene is a very early work-in-progress, hence the lack of small-scale detail, textures, and materials. I'm also going to be rendering Earth in LW and putting that image on a quad poly in the background so I'm not worried about how it looks in the KRay render.)
Shuttle_Bay_LW.jpg
Shuttle_Bay_KRay.jpg
Janusz Biela

Re: Need help with GI settings for animation

Post by Janusz Biela »

OK iw ill check this and I will prepare setup :D
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

The best kray user is on it. Wonder what johny will set up.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

1/ why You use strange NODE for blur? LW is slow with normal blur ? (I know this trick: microbump is faster then normal blur in Lightwave...but we use Kray :) )
2/ Earth: You have too exclude this model from GI! (milion km square with GI for nothing?...I used Ratracing Shader from Kray....)
3/ Please use always full tonemping with LWF in Kray (inside You have Reinhard tonemap, if render is too dark just increse PARAMETR in Kray Tonemap Blending)
4/ If surface has reflection You have too use less diffuse (reflection+diffuse must be under 100%) Is not relistic surface with 100% diffuse (Personaly I use 90% diffuse for white colour, 50% diffuse for very dark)
5/ I make medium setup (see override mode render, attention Hires in 5 min) becouse most of surfaces has high reflection,
6/ Inside setup is override setup with wire mode, need just turn ON
7/ I thing for this animation You need turn ON ALLOW ANIMATION (shutle ship move)
8/ override mode in half your resolution with one pass render: 4 sec per frame time render 8)

Enjoy!
Attachments
Shuttle_Bay_Render_Test.rar
(261.33 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
space_override.jpg
space_00000.png
jrandom

Post by jrandom »

Johny_quick wrote:1/ why You use strange NODE for blur? LW is slow with normal blur ? (I know this trick: microbump is faster then normal blur in Lightwave...but we use Kray :) )
Are you referring to the ansiotropic blur? I was going for a directionally-brushed metal look. Most of the blurred reflections just use the regular surface editor blur.

2/ Earth: You have too exclude this model from GI! (milion km square with GI for nothing?...I used Ratracing Shader from Kray....)
Excellent point! At first I thought there would be a lot of bounce light from the Earth into the shuttle bay, but that turned out to not be the case.
3/ Please use always full tonemping with LWF in Kray (inside You have Reinhard tonemap, if render is too dark just increse PARAMETR in Kray Tonemap Blending)
Is this via the Master Plugin thingy? I don't see where you found "Reinhard".

4/ If surface has reflection You have too use less diffuse (reflection+diffuse must be under 100%) Is not relistic surface with 100% diffuse (Personaly I use 90% diffuse for white colour, 50% diffuse for very dark)
Yep, I'm aware of this. I haven't put much into the actual materials yet since I'm still modeling.

5/ I make medium setup (see override mode render, attention Hires in 5 min) becouse most of surfaces has high reflection,
6/ Inside setup is override setup with wire mode, need just turn ON
7/ I thing for this animation You need turn ON ALLOW ANIMATION (shutle ship move)
8/ override mode in half your resolution with one pass render: 4 sec per frame time render 8)
I'll load up your modified file and take a look. Thank you. As for the "allow animation", that setting doesn't update the GI does it? When the shuttle enters the hangar I need the indirect lighting on it and the surfaces it blocks from the lumigons to change in brightness.
jrandom

Post by jrandom »

Hmmm... when I load this up it says it was saved with a newer version of KRay. Which version are you running?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Are you referring to the ansiotropic blur? I was going for a directionally-brushed metal look. Most of the blurred reflections just use the regular surface editor blur.
I suggest use brush map (later I will upload) This node which you used make big noise and long render...

Is this via the Master Plugin thingy? I don't see where you found "Reinhard".
Rinhard is kind of blending between two tonemaps (I used blend gamma 1.4 and exponential 2.2 30%, so this mean 30% gamma and 70% Exponential)

I'll load up your modified file and take a look. Thank you. As for the "allow animation", that setting doesn't update the GI does it? When the shuttle enters the hangar I need the indirect lighting on it and the surfaces it blocks from the lumigons to change in brightness.

You have ready scene for everything. UPDATE mean: Kray start scene and shot photons for each frame (but photons are shot only in places where camera move to another place and appear new places, rest scene is not touchable by photons! So in this scene when camera is static photon map does not shot! Kray just check new places and update it. Only one place in this scene is in change: Shutle. But Shutle is moving and that is problem...for this "problem" we have special tool ALLOW ANIMATION, this mean Kray analizes scene ALSO in other terms: for moving objects, and shot photons for Shutle every frame differently (becouse it moves to inside and receives new situation of GI , new situation with light.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

jrandom wrote:Hmmm... when I load this up it says it was saved with a newer version of KRay. Which version are you running?
Don't worry about this . I just use next beta test version of Kray.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

brush metals:
Attachments
brush_metals.rar
(7.98 MiB) Downloaded 251 times