Speed up AA on objects

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
sat

Speed up AA on objects

Post by sat »

Is there a way to speed up the AA process on objects like trees? On simple geometry like buildings the AA works pretty fast, but when I have 3D trees in the scene it takes very long to finish the final image.
Is the new Edgedetector feature something that could help me?
silverlw

Re: Speed up AA on objects

Post by silverlw »

Hi SAT,
You dont mention if you are using Kray surface options on your trees or not?
If you dont use it, very much Finalgather rays will be fired and that is what can cause the slow render times/Antialiasing.
Do an experiment and try low values of finalgather Min=10/max=40 and UNCACHED, on your leaves to see the difference.
Kray surface options is explained more in detail here.
http://www.kraytracing.com/wiki/Kray_pl ... ce_Shaders
/JS
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

This is my the best setup (very basic) I use it on plants, grass, barks, etc.
It is good compromise between speed and quality. Noise You can reduce from PS (the best way is use ID_MAP for extract plants to layer and clean it.

G. start now update code GI for that part of renders (I mean : another detection samples for small obiects) after that we will forget QMC... :lol:
Attachments
best_shader_plants.png
sat

Post by sat »

silverlw wrote:Hi SAT,
You dont mention if you are using Kray surface options on your trees or not?
Yes, I forgot to mention that I am using Kray surface options. My settings (Min/Max) were a bit higher than yours and I have not turned off "Cache irradiance". I will try it with your settings. Thanks.

Now I have two more questions to Johny_quick:

1. What is the difference between Min 100 / Max 0 (your setup) and Min 100 / Max 100?
2. Why do both of you recommend to turn of "Cache irradiance" to speed up rendering? I thought turning it on will speed things up and it should only be turned off when getting splotchy areas in the scene?

Thanks for your help.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

1/ I think is no difference (You can test) but from my test: lower is too noise, higher is too long render ...soo compromise between speed and quality.
2/ this means: QMC render in this region...so no splotches but noise. Why I told about update Engine render from G. This regions (leafs, small obiects, grass..) needs special treating and QMC is only temporary medicine.
You can also put "Cache irradiance" ON with min/max 0/0. This is very good but still too much slow (imho not good for grass and leafs, good for barks)
sat

Post by sat »

OK, thanks for your help and sharing your settings.