RPF & Kray.

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
jure

Re: RPF & Kray.

Post by jure »

jnom wrote:
jure wrote: 1. Set Kray to Raytrace only mode and remove any shaders from surfaces
2. add Kray override and select "disable all"
3. turn off all lights and physical sky
4. add kray buffers and select only Z-buffer.

RGB render should be black but your zbuffer will render just fine.
I tried this but can't get it to work and the clipmap trees solid. Any tip?
clip front value should be 0. Are your trees clipmaped? Because if they are transparency mapped then you shouldn't disable transparency in override.
- Jure
jnom

Post by jnom »

Yeah I think it might be the override. I didn't disable all before when I tried zdepth in kray.
Btw in kray is there advantage in using clipmapped trees like lightwave? I only know it speeds up render in lw but not sure if it does the same in kray engine.
jure

Post by jure »

jnom wrote:Yeah I think it might be the override. I didn't disable all before when I tried zdepth in kray.
Btw in kray is there advantage in using clipmapped trees like lightwave? I only know it speeds up render in lw but not sure if it does the same in kray engine.
Yes. Clip map is faster than transparency in any render engine.
- Jure
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

I have an unrelated question for Azman. What's your basic procedure in mapping textures to your roads and highways? They look really good and I'm not sure how I would do it myself.
azman_821009

Post by azman_821009 »

djwaterman wrote:I have an unrelated question for Azman. What's your basic procedure in mapping textures to your roads and highways? They look really good and I'm not sure how I would do it myself.

Thanks djwaterman. OK, here is the tips how to do road texture. Yes, you need a procedural texture but the main texture was created in Photoshop and Illustrator. You need to make a UV texture ( I prefer use a UV Atlas) then save in EPF. Open with Photoshop, make dual layer (darker and lighter grey color). You have to explore by yourself. Then save and go to Illustrator to create the white line, arrow, yellow line, create it in Illustrator.

After you save with EPS (still in Illustrator) then open using Photoshop again for reduce the file size. If you have an Infinimap Pro, that's really good. You can just use the PSD original file. Which will save lots of memory.

A lot of experimental I did and so far it's works. But if you find out the easier way please share it. ;)
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

So with Atlas UV, does the road surface get broken up into chunks and you have to try to sort of move them together in the UV view?
I'm just wondering how you maintain the consistency along the length of road, given that they bend and twist. And I apologize for diverting this thread.