Some basic Kray optimisation questions ...

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
adk

Some basic Kray optimisation questions ...

Post by adk »

Hi there gang,

I've progressively been going through all the things I can get my hands on at this forum and test and play with the settings as best I understand.

I came across this scene in another thread and thought it would be a good one to cut my teeth on in regards to testing some settings as well as comparing it to something else - Vray in this case.

One thing that I noticed at the respective Vray site that has this scene / animation posted is that the initial frame/calculation takes around 9 minutes while the subsequent frames churn through at 10-20 seconds.

In turn I tried to copy / mimic this scene as closely as possible and I can get the initial frame to be somewhere in the 4min30sec range but for the life of me I can not come even close to the 10-20sec ranges that Vray posts. Best I can get is around 2min30sec for subsequent frames. Which of course is not shabby by any means but I just thought I'd ask if I'm missing something obvious or perhaps trying to compare something that can't be compared between the 2 engines so far. Cheers and keep up the great work :)

adk.
Attachments
image01
image01
kray_render00001.jpg (69.96 KiB) Viewed 4860 times
Fly Through Scene.rar
scene
(189.86 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
jure

Post by jure »

Oh cool. I wanted to try this scene myself once allready.

Anyways I don't know weather you followed that tutorial or not, but there is one thing that is imporant:

It says:
" Since the camera moves quite slowly, there is no need to render every single frame of the animation at this stage. We can get an adequate irradiance map by rendering every 10-th frame, for example. If the camera moves faster, we will need to render more frames, for example every 5th frame.
2.4. Set 3dsmax to render every 5-th frame from the Common tab of the Render scene dialog.
2.5. Turn on the Don't render final image option in the Global switches rollout, since we are not rendering the final animation yet and we don't need the final frames.
2.6. Render the entire sequence.
2.7. Save the irradiance map to file, for example, irmap.vrmap.
2.8. Set the irradiance map Mode to From File with the saved file."

It doesn't say anywhere how long did this step take? It must have taken quite some time since it calculated full GI for every 5th frame...

If we would to translate this to Kray it would look something like this:

1. Render with frame step 5 with GI file mode set to "Both".
2. Switch to Gi file to "Load" and render entire animation.

Try this and see how fast are frames this way...
- Jure
adk

Post by adk »

Hey there Jure ...

Many thanks for your reply ... I knew I was missing something really basic. Unfortunately no I did not give this a propper go in Vray and obviously did not read completely enough to notice that one but very important point.

I'll give it a go in KRAY as you suggest and see what happens. I'll also try to translate that MAX camera path into LW along with the right camera settings so we can have something else to compare.

It's lit with a pretty bright backdrop, as per the MAX settings so I'm not quite sure how that translates in terms of speed / efficiency for KRAY. All in all I had no difficulty getting to and then faster than the single frame times posted by Vray. Not that it at all matters but I just wanted some sort of a yardstick in this case.

Will let you know how I go, cheers :)
jure

Post by jure »

I've tried the scene myself today and after discussing with G. I've found that what I said above is not entirely true.

Kray currently does not have Load only mode like the "From File" mode in Vray

When you select LOAD in KRay it will still try to compute samples whenever it doesn't find enough of them to compute proper GI.

I've added "pure" LOAD mode like "From file" to feature list though so we can have it in future.
- Jure
jure

Post by jure »

Hey!

I just wanted to ask if u managed to convert camera path from max so I could test it. I have new beta which allows pure load mode ala Vray...
- Jure
adk

Post by adk »

Here you go jure :)

There's a problem with this conversion as the MAX file has some things that don't translate properly into LW ... tried both FBX & 3ds and they both exhibit the same jerkiness at some places. This was a quick test so I'll try a few more approaches and see if I can do a 100% propper conversion.

In the meantime you can play with this.

Alan K.
Attachments
Motion_Scaled.zip
Cam Motion
(90.92 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
adk

Post by adk »

Here's a propper one jure :)
I noticed I bodged up the last one as I even exported the wrong camera (MAX scene has 2 that are similar) so dissregard that one.

Alan K.
Attachments
Cam_Motion_v2.zip
Cam_Motion
(90.45 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
jure

Post by jure »

Thanks Alan...

Will try it as soon as I have some free time!
- Jure
adk

Post by adk »

Not a problem ... glad to be of help as usually it's the other way around ;)
jure

Post by jure »

Okay I tried your room now and get 10-20sec per frame in "Both" mode. The quality is not the best though so I'll try and tweak the settings more when i have time and post it.
- Jure
adk

Post by adk »

Hey there jure,

10-20 sec is way better than 2.30sec that I was getting. Is that with the new fatures you mentioned or just with you optimising on OB2 settings ? If it's the latter looks like I have a long way to go with my Kray learning :) Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

Alan K.