Weirds things

Please post finished works here.
ana028

Weirds things

Post by ana028 »

Hello :)

It's been years since my last post in this forum and it's been years without touch any 3d software....

... and I woke up today and I thought in Lightwave and Kray :) and I started to install everything again
I forgot how to use Kray and Lightwave.... it's been a long time... is crazy how easy we can forget the
things... and then I started with a crazy idea that it was in my mind this morning when I woke up..

It was about weird things on the floor emitting light and like always the dark box room to make the test...
and that was the result... I know... is not the kind of things you can see in this forum with so many
professionals works already been posted, but I wanted to shared because is super weird but I like this
kind of works.

See you soon :)
Attachments
fracbox1.png
thomas

Re: Weirds things

Post by thomas »

What a coincidence! I was just in the process of making a similar abstract render in Kray, to post in the gallery.

Cool stuff - can you post a render with irradiance caching turned off?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Hello!
I think this is normal to forget how to use software especially after that long time.
In Kray 3.0 LEM system works differently: these LEM sources gives no interpolated shadows (similar to Area Lights). If you can, please share this scene I will test it.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Hi Janusz!

When you look at Behance, it's full of Cinema 4D + V-ray tests of very abstract scenes that look great, and attract a lot of graphic designers to the software because it's so simple:
1) Turn on V-ray physical sky
2) Use some simple geometry but with really great material shading (presets) and instancing and boolean tricks.
3) Colour grading (with the V-ray tonemapping) AFTER the render.

I hope with Kray 3 the shaders and PhySky will allow us to do similar (or better!) stuff, so the LW + Kray combination catches on outside of the arch-viz community!
thomas

Post by thomas »

I'm talking about stuff like this:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/3200320 ... Renders-06

Damn... Lightwave is going to need to advance FAST in my opinion, because other render engines have been capable of doing subsurface scattering and micro-poly displacement really well for a couple of years now, and it's not good to always have to say "Ah, no, Lightwave can't do that".
ana028

Post by ana028 »

Janusz Biela wrote:Hello!
I think this is normal to forget how to use software especially after that long time.
In Kray 3.0 LEM system works differently: these LEM sources gives no interpolated shadows (similar to Area Lights). If you can, please share this scene I will test it.
Helloooo Janusz :) nice to "see" you again :)

Here is the scene... looking forward to see what are you going to do with the scene,
you got the eye... I'll continue using my kray 2.6... I'm not a pro and you know... I spent
a lot of money in software and still I can't hit your level with the 2.6... version of the plugin
but looking forward to see your test :) I can tell you that took me less time to do all the
topological models than the setup with kray because I forgot completely how to use it but
at the end I figured out and I'm really happy with the render :)
Attachments
gibox with topmod.7z
(266.07 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Last edited by ana028 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ana028

Post by ana028 »

thomas wrote:What a coincidence! I was just in the process of making a similar abstract render in Kray, to post in the gallery.

Cool stuff - can you post a render with irradiance caching turned off?

Hello, here is a small test of the scene without irradiance cache, I did a smaller res render and also low AA but the scene it's been uploaded know so... feel free to use it and test it :)
Attachments
fracbox2.png
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

thomas wrote:I'm talking about stuff like this:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/3200320 ... Renders-06

Damn... Lightwave is going to need to advance FAST in my opinion, because other render engines have been capable of doing subsurface scattering and micro-poly displacement really well for a couple of years now, and it's not good to always have to say "Ah, no, Lightwave can't do that".
To do that we need:
-Cinema 4D - you can replace with LW or Kray
-Octane - you can replace with LW or Kray 2.x but you will get limits with no shaders, no displacement
- Zbrush - you have to learn*
- World Machine - you have to learn*
- Xparticles - you have to learn*

*you have to learn = is not so easy to make even basic things
...at least 1-2 years to make these spheres an stones which you can no use for anything :wink:
thomas

Post by thomas »

Hi Janusz,

Maybe you're right, but in my experience even getting decent subsurface scattering results in Lightwave takes so much time and tweaking to get basic results that it becomes too difficult - especially in today's marketplace for 3D software.

For the record, I'm trying to get to grips with SSS in LightWave, and, well, the manual is of very little help! For starters, you need to choose between:
- Sigma
- Sigma 2
- Simple Skin
- Skin
- Kappa
- Kappa 2
- Omega
- SSS
- SSS 2

To make things worse, the documentation for some of these is exactly the same. Come on NewTek: how hard can it be to make one or two SSS shaders with clear documentation and ease of use?
jdomingo

Post by jdomingo »

thomas wrote:Hi Janusz,

Maybe you're right, but in my experience even getting decent subsurface scattering results in Lightwave takes so much time and tweaking to get basic results that it becomes too difficult - especially in today's marketplace for 3D software.

For the record, I'm trying to get to grips with SSS in LightWave, and, well, the manual is of very little help! For starters, you need to choose between:
- Sigma
- Sigma 2
- Simple Skin
- Skin
- Kappa
- Kappa 2
- Omega
- SSS
- SSS 2

To make things worse, the documentation for some of these is exactly the same. Come on NewTek: how hard can it be to make one or two SSS shaders with clear documentation and ease of use?
you know what is the answer to this right? WAIT FOR K3.
i was asked by my colleague when will have peace on earth, i answer him, wait for kray 3. (he gave me a blank face).....happy new year guys... :D :) :lol:
thomas

Post by thomas »

Trust me, I am definitely waiting for K3 :D
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

I am not coder but complex surfaces are not easy to simulate and those in LW (Nodes) are not optimized for LW Core Engine. They are mostly 3th part software and this situation tell me: code is just written down but has nothing to do with speed or good looking effect...
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

One more think: power of software 3D is in Shaders. Why V-ray is still King. Is freaking fast and you can render there everything without problems.
Personally I do not believe any new software with "magic" features which appear lately - they will disappear fast .
Here very interesting info:
http://3d-graf.blogspot.fi/2014/11/vray-corona.html

I do not use V-ray because it give me headache with modelling, GUI, heavy code, prices, rendering (in some parts V-ray is very, very bad) and also if everybody use it (almost) I do not, because I am individualist, it doesn`t mean I have to.
I like LW since version 4.0 and I feel very comfortable with this software (before was Real 1.4 for Amiga on one floppy disc).
thomas

Post by thomas »

Hey Janusz,

Interesting to read about Corona. I also feel the same way as you do: I really like working with LightWave and Kray. Nothing else feels good for me, so I won't be changing anytime soon!

Been using it since version 5, faking radiosity with 100 extra lights and being amazed by the LightScape first radiosity software!