Kray interior render and scene attached !

Please post finished works here.
jnom

Re: Kray interior render and scene attached !

Post by jnom »

Ah so the render I got is exactly the same raw output but just needs tonemapping and post work.
Wow 20 hours for the lightwave render engine. :lol:
How about the octane engine? How long did it take to get a decent render? I know its a bit unfair for octane to render interior scene but just curious.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

jnom wrote:Ah so the render I got is exactly the same raw output but just needs tonemapping and post work.
How about the octane engine? How long did it take to get a decent render? I know its a bit unfair for octane to render interior scene but just curious.
It will be horrible time...because for that you must activate full Path Tracing rendering with minimum 5-8 bounce light...so it can be ~ 5-10 h (depends from GFX card or cards)
To speed up render you can make it in traditional way (limited bounce light+OCC)...but effect will be poor.
This is theoretical conclusion - it can be faster but I doubt because Path Tracing is no interpolated method and whatever you use: Maxwell, Octan, Arnold, Kray, etc it will be slow...horrible slow - no miracle!

In Octan you can use Direct Light Path Tracing photons with 1-2 bounce light (should be fast but light transport very poor) + OCC effect for simulation shadows. Of course render will be dark so must be supported by tone mapping.

This problem with dark renders (because of poor light transport) is avoided very often by strong clamped tone mapping. Personally I am not fan of that because light solution is really bended and is similar to dealing with "nuclear" light which is "dimmed" by tone mapping.

Here Path Tracing with 3 bounce lights and low quality (noise):
Int00000.png
You can notice black glass on the top (not enough recurse)
Render is greyish because small amount bounce photons.
the3dcie

Post by the3dcie »

jnom wrote:Ah so the render I got is exactly the same raw output but just needs tonemapping and post work.
The Octane render i posted on Newtek's forums took 20 hours as well on a GTX 770 (a Titan would have reached this level in around 14/15 hours in a rough estimation...) with Path Tracing kernel and 8 bounces (as far as i remember) @ 1500x1000.
So yes it's slow as hell and i found Octane isn't very efficient to reduce the noise compared to Thea for example, which is even more "realistic" to my eyes.

To summarize i think Octane is a great render engine but i won't use it that much due to its limitations and i didn't make the upgrade nor do i plan to do it in the future.
As for Kray 3.x, if it's finally stable and usable on Mac OS X (as opposed to now where it crashes every 2 renders...) then i'll do my upgrade the first minute it's available, if it finally shows up ! ;)

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Actually is doesn`t matter what you use: Maxwell, Octane, Arnold...it will be slow as hell literally. There is no way to do it faster! Do not believe miracles! ...is only one way do it faster: to buy better CPU or GPU (read: very, VERY expensive solution). If you have average hardware (under 20 pts in Cinebench R15) run far a way when you will hear "unbiased render"...

Of course all developers try "avoid" long time render by: limits recurse, special noise reduction engine, interpolations in first minutes of render (just to see something!), special clamped tone mapping...but still it is slow as hell. Problem is multi played by situation when you have to render interiors and almost all Path Tracing photons must be calculate with many bounce light.

Let`s say true: Path Tracing is solution for rich company with top hardware or Render Farm...if you do not have that, you just waste time and money. I am happy for Octane in Lightwave. Many people are excited...but it will brings nothing: soon LW gallery will be cover by renders from Octane which contains balls, boxes, dragons, basic studio renders...but nothing serious, because is slow as hell. Forget also about animation, maybe something basic.

Kray needs a lot knowledge about 3D to handle it in properly way. This scared people, why they search solution with one button. Why is now time for Kray 3.0 and I hope beta test phase (very soon) will go fast.

here benchmark for download.
here benchmark scores.
CPU Score (Multi) is your guide, if you have under 2000 pts you can run far away from unbiased renders.
My score is 730 pts....
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

btw
here HQ RAW, Photon Mapping with 3 pass Final Gathering test render with recurse 12 and FSAA Grid 3.
int_55min.png
jnom

Post by jnom »

Thanks for the info on the octane render time with your gpu. I'll check the newtek forums. Thats too bad. I had hoped its better than maxwell, etc since its gpu based.
But yeah I have no plans to use octane for enclosed spaces its too slow. I already accepted that fact.
Its pretty sweet for animation though and I do plan to use it for that.
jnom

Post by jnom »

I checked the thread. I like the octane and kray renders the most.
Too bad a direct comparison can't be made since the renders look so different from each other due to post work.
Where's the modo thread?
Btw I think ingo thought lw render was 1 hour not 20 hours :mrgreen:
the3dcie

Post by the3dcie »

jnom wrote:I checked the thread. I like the octane and kray renders the most.
Too bad a direct comparison can't be made since the renders look so different from each other due to post work.
Where's the modo thread?
Btw I think ingo thought lw render was 1 hour not 20 hours :mrgreen:
Yes, the LightWave render is the one i did first and probably post-processed "a bit" too heavily... :mrgreen:

Ah you think he thought it was one hour only ? In that case either he has a secret way of speeding up LightWave to crazy amount (and if it's the case i'm jealous !) or he didn't really take a close look at the scene as almost everything is reflective and the reflections are for the most part blurry. 8)

But i'm sure he knows that kind of render is going to take a looooooooong time anyway you look at it. ;)

As for modo thread you'll find it here : http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discu ... =9&t=88903
But be aware that my modo skills are next to non-existant so it isn't really a fair comparison !

As for Octane i don't think it will be of any use for me in the forseeable future, but at least i will have tested it. :)

Cheers,
jotta

Post by jotta »

Quick test
Attachments
Test 01.jpg
the3dcie

Post by the3dcie »

Hey, cool reconstruction of the scene, thanks for showing. :)

Cheers,