How do you use the DOF Target option

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
3dream

How do you use the DOF Target option

Post by 3dream »

I'm not getting any affect when pointing the DOF Target inside Kray options to a NULL that is moving around. How should this be used/referenced?
Janusz Biela

Re: How do you use the DOF Target option

Post by Janusz Biela »

3dream wrote:I'm not getting any affect when pointing the DOF Target inside Kray options to a NULL that is moving around. How should this be used/referenced?
I never used it (it can be bug with this function)
It is necessary to use this for You? I use only Z-buffer but it need After Effect skill if you think about animation. It is more flexible then original DoF effect from render.
3dream

Post by 3dream »

Yea I've never used the Z buffer LW renders out because it doesn't AA it. Is KRAY different and cleaner? Yes that would be much better for animation, and yes we have "skills" in AFX :)
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Ok then...now we talk :wink:
Personally I think this is the best solution for DoF (of course I know some technical problems with glass but this is only very small amount of situations)

Yes, Kray render Z-buffer with AA.

It is also some rules with you must know:

- never setup Z-buffer distance in static distance! Example:
if object which you want show in focus is 2 meters from camera - Z-buffer should be
0-3 m. The IMPORTANT think is to have the smallest acceptable RANGE in Z-buffer setup - it will make better effect without "ghost" problems on the edges.

- if object or group of objects or region is far from camera then Z-buffer must be setup with different range. For example distance to object is 8 meters - then Z-buffer
should be 5-15 meters.

- The distance Range setup need training and also thinking for future what we want show in animation (with still images is easier)

- The best software for DoF by Z-buffer is ONLY DoF Pro in Photoshop. Doesn`t exist better ! Has only one problem: animation system setup is bad. For still renders is perfect. I think only this software offer options which prevent "ghost" edge problems.

- The best software for animation in AE is FIRSCHLUFT plugin - but has one problem:
no Alias Depth Map which prevent "ghost" problems.
Generally: for still images DoF Pro, for animation FIRSCHLUFT plugin.

-now the worst think: Z-buffer need a lot training. Both software are very, very easy but to achieve good result...stunning results it need really good imagination and training (I thing generally DoF is the most difficult part in renders and is doesn't matter what DoF system we use)

- Never use .jpg system files in render with Z-buffer

In attachment RAW render directly from Kray for training and my examples (a bit exaggerated to show IRIS effect)
Attachments
Barcelona_DoF_front.jpg
Barcelona_DoF_back.jpg
Barcelon_zbuf.png
Barcelona.png
Z-Buffer.png
Z-Buffer.png (25.5 KiB) Viewed 6346 times
3dream

Post by 3dream »

Thanks Janusz very thorough post. Lot's of information. I appreciate the extra effort! It seems from looking through the forums, that's your "thing". I'm sure it's appreciated by many.

We are almost completly an animation house. Very few stills, except for the stills that we provide of our "animations" for printing. So I will need to make sure I have a good pipeline for animation.

New thing in LW11.6 I just read this morning is that it too AA the ZBuffer now! I'll have to keep that in mind as well. But really looking forward to KR3.

Playing around now, but when 3.0 is out will make decision on new pipeline for studio rendering! Thanks again...
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

I suggest stick with Z-buffer all the time. Actually I never used traditional way DoF - only Z-buffer. In the beginning is really difficult with this post process but It is really worth. Personally I spend around 2 years to catch good skill with Z-buffer and DoF...yes it is really difficult and many thinks depends from artistic way. But also important is knowledge about Z-buffer post process system so I am here to help :wink:
3dream

Post by 3dream »

oh yes! We just purchased the Lenscare plugin from FIRSCHLUFT. Wow that looks much better than previous efforts with native AFX or other plugins I've used. Yes the post processing will give us much more flexibility and no extra render time! Thank you for your suggestions and experience. Have a great weekend.
3dream

Post by 3dream »

Janusz is there a feature in KR to export/save the depth buffer, or do you still use the one from LW? Thanks.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

3dream wrote:Janusz is there a feature in KR to export/save the depth buffer, or do you still use the one from LW? Thanks.
I am not sure what you ask....
Kray has many buffers include Z-buffer...
3dream

Post by 3dream »

How do you get KR to save the ZBuffer? Please point me to what tab/command etc. I need to turn on.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

3dream wrote:How do you get KR to save the ZBuffer? Please point me to what tab/command etc. I need to turn on.
Answer is above your question...maybe you missed image from my post. In pre last tab menu in Kray (plugins) you have Add/Edit Buffers.
3dream

Post by 3dream »

Yes I did miss that. Perfect. Thanks. So I will go to plugins tab and enable the buffers export option! Thank you.