Unexpected Exception Woes

General disscusion about Kray
phile_forum

Unexpected Exception Woes

Post by phile_forum »

I've been using the demo (1.612) extensively recently because I'm considering buying Kray for my business. Unfortunately, I'm becoming increasingly worried by the Unexpected Exception error that Kray often throws when a scene becomes complex (over about 800,000 polys). The error usually appears after the "Octree" message early on.

I know the way around this is to remove objects from the scene until you identify the one that is causing the trouble. However, I have often found that there is nothing actually wrong with the object itself - and it will usually render fine on its own. The problem appears to stem from the complexity of the scene itself, or some interaction between that and the offending object.

Since I'm just evaluating the software, this is merely frustrating. However, were I using it for work it would be a disaster as I simply wouldn't have the time to mess around trying to find ways around this error.

I'm just pointing up a concern here, not issuing criticism, as I think in general Kray is wonderful. But it really must be made more robust with complex scenes.

Thanks for reading!

Phil
jure

Post by jure »

Yup that has been noticed by us also. The error is caused because Kray eats up all the memory available. There have allready been new improvments implemented in newer beta versions which help to improve memory managment dramaticaly.
- Jure
_mats_

Post by _mats_ »

Hi Jure -

Any updates with that new beta? working on a pretty dense arch scene and im getting the exception errors a lot again :(

news? thanks !

Matt -
jure

Post by jure »

G. is still working on it... It's not going as fast as it was hoped. But he says he's finaly seeing light at the end of the tunnel... :) Will keep you updated when there's news...
- Jure