Baking a dense uv map with postprocess erode,5;

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
toma

Baking a dense uv map with postprocess erode,5;

Post by toma »

Hi, I am trying to bake a room with many small polygons, and the postprocessing Kray is doing after the rendering makes it useless?

I know it is normal that Kray tries to extend the edge of discontinious uv, but is there a way to set a value for the extension ?

I don't have the time to make super optimised uv : I just use an atlas uv and I need to render at 6K to see all the small poly? if I make an uv with more space between polygon islands I will need to render at insane resolution?

So? how can I desactivate Kray postprocessing (I found nothing in the new manual/header nor tailer command)?

thanks for any help !

toma
Last edited by toma on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toma

Post by toma »

update :

I have foung that '"stretching"' setting : it is postprocess erode,5; (default value)

anyway even with a value of 0 (postprocess erode,0;) there is a "stretching"

? anyone can help ?
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Im the one who knows least of everyone when it comes to UVmap's but i try to help anyway;) We are not talking pixelfilters here are we? If we are pixelsize of Zero should yeald nothing and higher values should yeald more bluring.
toma

Post by toma »

thanks for listening !

well "postprocess erode,5;" will draw a 5 pixel border around any polygon island with the color of the border edges of that island, but if there is another island less thant 5 pixels away, the border will overlap the actual polygon?

so I typed "postprocess erode,0;" in the tailer command and though the border is smaller, it is still too large for my uv?

the problem is that I need to bake an object with many small disconnected polygons and if I make an atlas with enough space between polygons islands I need to render the baked image at more than 4096x4096 pixels! (and kray won't save such image)

toma?
jure

Post by jure »

Did you try postprocess erode, 1 or 2? Does that help any?

You will need at leas some border around your polys otherwise you'll get nasty dark edges when you apply your texture...
- Jure
toma

Post by toma »

well I have tried many values : 0 1 2 0.1 0.01 even -1 -2 but even at 0 there is some borders?

I guess I should consider redoing all my uv from scratch :(

I think this postprocess should be turned off as it is easy to do the same in photoshop?

toma
jure

Post by jure »

hmm yes i think this should be put on feature request... I'll tell G. about it...
- Jure
toma

Post by toma »

thanks, I think maybe Gregorz could just make the ereode postprocess to happen behind the rendered poly so it wouldn't be a problem if the borders overlap?

toma
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Ive already email this thread to him to notify him about these matters ;)