kray vs lw

General disscusion about Kray
medzo

kray vs lw

Post by medzo »

Hi

I guess i have a little too much time on my hands :) kray can render trees and grass with reflection and reflection blurring values (with applying kraysurface options) very fast but lw's renderer takes just way too much time for rendering the same scene. what is the difference between kray and lightwave's native renderer?
jure

Re: kray vs lw

Post by jure »

Well kray has very fast GI, much faster than LW. Also raytracing reflection blurring is much faster in Kray. I don't think there is much you can do in LW to achieve that. I think you should search newtek forums to find out how to setup materials to make them render faster with LW.
- Jure
giacob

Post by giacob »

i am trying in lw 11.5 a scene with ray recusion limit set to 12 ( i need this value because have some glass lamp one behind the other) , and lw render much much much faster than kray..... as a macterr of fact kray is so slow that is almost unusable...
have someone bumped into the same problem? am i doing somethig wrong?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

giacob wrote:i am trying in lw 11.5 a scene with ray recusion limit set to 12 ( i need this value because have some glass lamp one behind the other) , and lw render much much much faster than kray..... as a macterr of fact kray is so slow that is almost unusable...
have someone bumped into the same problem? am i doing somethig wrong?
Setup this shader for grass :wink:
Attachments
ScreenShot066.jpg
giacob

Post by giacob »

thanks but ...
where do i have to apply the shaders... just on glass surface or on all surfaces?
if i have to apply this shaders an all surfaces would be a very long process!
Last edited by giacob on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jure

Post by jure »

giacob wrote:thanks but ...
where do i have to apply the shaders... just on glass surface or on all surfaces?
Just for grass, or trees or anything that's really small like hair/fur...
- Jure
giacob

Post by giacob »

but i dont have any grass ... i just have some glass!! ( lamp one behind the other)
perhaps u mean that because of high recursion limit i have to reduce fg rays on small object in order to have the kray go faster?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

giacob wrote:but i dont have any grass ... i just have some glass!! ( lamp one behind the other)
perhaps u mean that because of high recursion limit i have to reduce fg rays on small object in order to have the kray go faster?
For glass minimum recurse is 12 imho. Do not use lower value. Glass need a lot reflections to look good....and this You can not over jump. Try Dielectric Node , is very fast but I think buggy still. Here Node maybe will help You. Generally glass is always big problem and until when Grzegorz will write special shader for glass for Kray will be all the time problem....
Attachments
glass.srf
(48.42 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
giacob

Post by giacob »

i wil try... anyway a i am experiencing any sort of slowness with kray lately...
I am rendering a scene that in lw take 20 minutes and in kray is taking more than an hour.... and i am talking about a 901 x 473 render!!!
is ttha possible? or maybe i have something messy in my config? who knows...
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

giacob wrote:i wil try... anyway a i am experiencing any sort of slowness with kray lately...
I am rendering a scene that in lw take 20 minutes and in kray is taking more than an hour.... and i am talking about a 901 x 473 render!!!
is ttha possible? or maybe i have something messy in my config? who knows...
Just post scene to check what is going wrong.
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

Considering LW 11.5 still is in beta, who knows what kind of black magic lies behind.... Something to notify the LW3D team about?
Mac Pro 8-core 2.26GHz Mac OS 10.8.2
LightWave 3D 11, LWCAD 4.2, Kray 2.51
giacob

Post by giacob »

This render to 24 hour!! with lightmap,medium setting, dp sksunligt dp sk portal light ( at windows)
Cant figure out why... maybe u are rigt? is there something that dont work with lw 11.03?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

giacob wrote:This render to 24 hour!! with lightmap,medium setting, dp sksunligt dp sk portal light ( at windows)
Cant figure out why... maybe u are rigt? is there something that dont work with lw 11.03?
This quality You can render in Kray UNDER ~ 10-20 min with i7 CPU
giacob

Post by giacob »

so why the hell is taking so long.... i have an i72700k.... cant figure out
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

giacob wrote:so why the hell is taking so long.... i have an i72700k.... cant figure out
Post Your Kray setup file.