Kray Requirements Spec's

General disscusion about Kray
Stianchez

Kray Requirements Spec's

Post by Stianchez »

Hello,

Kray looks like a very promising software good work, however I have some issues.

Lightwave 10.1

Installing the demo version on a new regular stationary PC works fine in regards to rendering.

However, when I try to install on one of these render nodes(Relatively old pcs)

All-In-One PC Built in Graphic card - 4 GBRAM, 64 BIT W7, 2,80GZ Dual core
Stationary - About the same specs, has both built in graphic card, and external.

All I get when I try to hit render is some error msg

FG ,0 Some numbers,

Wrong Command
!!! There were error, cannot render.

Since a new PC can run it without problem, I guess its due to specs?
jure

Re: Kray Requirements Spec's

Post by jure »

What LW version are you running on nodes? 32 or 64 bit? Did you install correct kray version?
- Jure
Stianchez

Post by Stianchez »

Lightwave Version 10.1 on nodes.
I think its kray Version 2,4.

Is Kray 2,5 stable with lightwave 10.1 or only LW 11?

Ill try downloading latest demo tomorow, and see if that will solve the problem on the nodes.

We have around 20 nodes, if we purchase one Kray license, will we be able to install Kray on all of these nodes without extra cost?

Cheers!
Stianchez

Post by Stianchez »

I downloaded the latest demo version, and it still says Kray 2,4 in the header and I get the same errors.

Kray Script Generated by Kray plugin for lightwave

File "LW"
Line 24
!!! var fgt1,000.1

Unknown Command

Error etc etc
jure

Post by jure »

Stianchez wrote:I downloaded the latest demo version, and it still says Kray 2,4 in the header and I get the same errors.

Kray Script Generated by Kray plugin for lightwave

File "LW"
Line 24
!!! var fgt1,000.1

Unknown Command

Error etc etc
Demo version on website is still just 2.4. Please wait a few days for 2.5 update.
- Jure
Stianchez

Post by Stianchez »

I have one more question, while we are at it. I did a quick search on the forum. A common problem for Lightwave native render engine is light flickering during animation. I see you have a caching option that bakes extremely quick, however a short test of this shows that it does not work well with moving opjects, so the only option for rendering without flickering is brute force correct?

In Native lightwave, brute force is fixed by upping the rays, but kray seems to work differently, is it the combination between photons and rays that prevents flickering? If so, do you have a thumb of rule for how many is necessary(obviously depends on the scene but in most cases)
jure

Post by jure »

Stianchez wrote:I have one more question, while we are at it. I did a quick search on the forum. A common problem for Lightwave native render engine is light flickering during animation. I see you have a caching option that bakes extremely quick, however a short test of this shows that it does not work well with moving opjects, so the only option for rendering without flickering is brute force correct?

In Native lightwave, brute force is fixed by upping the rays, but kray seems to work differently, is it the combination between photons and rays that prevents flickering? If so, do you have a thumb of rule for how many is necessary(obviously depends on the scene but in most cases)
For moving objects Kray has time interpolated mode. This one blends GI between frames. It doesn't work on network rendering though. If you want brute force then turn off cache irradiance an/or use path tracing mode. You control quality/grain wiht min/max FG rays numbers.
- Jure
Stianchez

Post by Stianchez »

What is the difference between "Time Interpolated Mode", and "Shared For all frames"? (I used latter) I will not make this into a personal tutorial, but Time interpolation mode

Frame 1 - Which frame to grab GI from? If you have 300 frames, then set 300?
Extinction : ?

Also with 1 kray license, are you able to install and fully utilize kray on different machines on the same network? This is for remote controll if there is a quick error to fix, its much easier to just remote controll it, set the correct setting and fix it instead of bringing it back to the host computer and fixing it there, then distrubuting it again.
jure

Post by jure »

Stianchez wrote:What is the difference between "Time Interpolated Mode", and "Shared For all frames"? (I used latter) I will not make this into a personal tutorial, but Time interpolation mode

Frame 1 - Which frame to grab GI from? If you have 300 frames, then set 300?
Extinction : ?

Also with 1 kray license, are you able to install and fully utilize kray on different machines on the same network? This is for remote controll if there is a quick error to fix, its much easier to just remote controll it, set the correct setting and fix it instead of bringing it back to the host computer and fixing it there, then distrubuting it again.
Please read: http://www.kraytracing.com/wiki/GUI_-_G ... on_mapping
- Jure