how to speed up instances

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
medzo

how to speed up instances

Post by medzo »

Hi, everybody!

As most of you I am also playing with instances and loving it :)

But I came across a interesting issue when rendering grass.

I took Janus's scene grass (http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum ... =viewtopic) - played with materials and this is what i got:

This is grass material with specular and glossines - render time 8 min
specularity 8 min
specularity 8 min
And this is material with reflection and blurring - render time 23 min
reflection 23 min
reflection 23 min
So... i would like to have a render with reflection on grass material but with render time that is faster than 23 min!!!

Both materials have kray surface options activated....

Is this issue connected with the fact that we a dealing with instances and not proxys? Would renders be faster with proxys?
Janusz Biela

Re: how to speed up instances

Post by Janusz Biela »

medzo wrote: Is this issue connected with the fact that we a dealing with instances and not proxys? Would renders be faster with proxys?
I does not matter instance or proxy, this is just another (Proxy are better, because save RAM memory) way for clone. Still You have to (I mean render engine) calculate millions of poly...and this is impossible over jump. Matter is with engine which will be better in K3.0 (because Kray has problem with small objects in scene -that object as grass, leafs should be calculate with GI by pixel not by poly, imho). You have to limited reflection on the leafs from NODEs, for example 2-3 bounce...and wait for K3.0 which will solve the problem.
In attachment NODE with limited reflection, so You can reduce speed of render....but of course no miracles.
Also AA is important (to smooth complicate shapes...there is battlefield with time) G. promised new AA which also decrease time of render .
Attachments
NODE_metal_limited.srf
(46.29 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
medzo

Post by medzo »

well, it seems like i am doing something wrong... render times are almost the same with limited bounce or without... i am attaching the link to scene

https://www.wetransfer.com/dl/dHuZNgqg/ ... a5438bdb42
medzo

Post by medzo »

just realised... i forgot to turn off lw light in the scene... it affects the look of the render but not the render time
medzo

Post by medzo »

hehehehe....correction.... the extra light did affect the render time .. now i got it to 16min
Attachments
reflection limited refl 16min.png
Mario

Post by Mario »

Hom much CPU power?
medzo

Post by medzo »

i7-2600 @3,40 gHz 16GB RAM

why? is it a good render time or bad?
talats

Post by talats »

It would be nice make all kind of fur with fiber fx... Can we expect a time in which kray will see fiber fx?