Kray 2.5: Any news?

General disscusion about Kray
Janusz Biela

Re: Kray 2.5: Any news?

Post by Janusz Biela »

ryste3d.com wrote:Thanks for the new Kray 2.5. So fare so god, but I see the perview render looks diffrent to the final render. Or is it a button I have not check?

Thanks again for 2.5. (lokk forward to 3)
Please check is LINEAR tonemap in Kray selected . use this tonemap, I mean idea of that: when LWF Gamma with higher exposure is mixed with exponential .
Btw I observed last time in V-ray setup, people use only exponetial or only LWF gamma.
With LWF gamma is quite difficult , check this:
http://pressenterdesign.com/?p=752
As You see directly render from V-ray with LWF Gamma is RUBBISH!, finall effect You can receive directly from Kray without problem and post production.

http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum ... &mode=view

Remember please: tonemap in Kray is powerfull, but more important are scene light and surfacing....
pressenter

Post by pressenter »

Janusz Biela wrote:
ryste3d.com wrote:Thanks for the new Kray 2.5. So fare so god, but I see the perview render looks diffrent to the final render. Or is it a button I have not check?

Thanks again for 2.5. (lokk forward to 3)
Please check is LINEAR tonemap in Kray selected . use this tonemap, I mean idea of that: when LWF Gamma with higher exposure is mixed with exponential .
Btw I observed last time in V-ray setup, people use only exponetial or only LWF gamma.
With LWF gamma is quite difficult , check this:
http://pressenterdesign.com/?p=752
As You see directly render from V-ray with LWF Gamma is RUBBISH!, finall effect You can receive directly from Kray without problem and post production.

http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum ... &mode=view

Remember please: tonemap in Kray is powerfull, but more important are scene light and surfacing....
This will be a bit awkward, never the less...

I won't be here long, just wanted to defend my work. ;)

Janusz what do you mean by "rubbish"? I will make an assumption here and guess that you mean that the image is bleached/overbright. Yes, that is true, but that is because it has been saved to 32bit exr file. Please check these vimeo films:

http://vimeo.com/35034314
http://vimeo.com/35570784

to get a better understanding of this process. The whole idea behind this is to get control over ones overbright places and being able to control them with exposure. Not just to make the whole image darker, but to control the overbright spots. A clean render, saved directly to jpg, that i also see during the render process in my framebuffer is this one:

only a bit less sharp, but that's because i use a Area AA filter instead of, for instance, catmull-rom.

As for your workflow with kray... i hope you understand the whole idea behind linear color mapping and gamma 2.2. The parameter and exposure variables, shown on your screenshot are exact equivalents of the vray dark multiplier and bright multiplier; changing those values, blending with somekind of different tonemapping, although looks great, isn't lwf anymore.

Also setting LWF in vray is as easy as in your kray QuickLWF setup, you can just check a little tick in the color mapping section next to the "linear workflow" variable and there you go:

The workflow i've described in my tutorial, is just my way, that i've got used to.

Now don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to offend you or defend vray; i've seen your works and i respect your skill, but do not try to prove that kray is the only right render engine out there, cause it's not. The only right render engine out there is that, with which one can achieve best results. None of this tho is a reason to call ones render "rubbish", just because you want to prove you're using the only render engine that matters. Noob linux users always try this, and you don't strike me for a noob, so please... don't, search engines do actually index this stuff.

Best regards
Sz.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Quite fast answer. But:
1. Still I think V-ray is RUBBISH! Old engine, very slow shooting photons, very slow blurr...and really You can not receive good effect directly from V-ray? You had to use exr and postproces? I know people who use V-ray: "Is only one engine render - V-ray!" very arrogant community (not all, with respect for HCPiter which drop forum max3D with same reasons as me, there is just crap )
2. V-ray is KING with AA, materials and some additional.That`s true (we do not have it in Kray)
3. If is that superb and easy in V-ray please render this scene without exr and PS :lol:
4. I respect Your skill and great renders, but I will be aggressive against V-ray and people who use it (not all) I had many contact with these people and almost always was arrogance from them. SO :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Greetings
pressenter

Post by pressenter »

Render without PS and exr:

I'm not saying that vray is good, it isn't. It's still quite slow, it has some major bugs, but i still like it, cause i'm getting good effects with it.

With all my respect to you and your work, i must say that i honestly don't care if you like vray or not, which render engine you think is the best, what kind of workflow do you use, how you do it, where you do it and with who you do it. I don't care what do you think about vray users, i don't care what do you think about 3d and people that do it in a whole. I don't care who you had contact with and what experiences did you have with them.

What i do care is calling others hard work rubbish just to try to show that yours is the only one worth doing. Next time please show your own comparisons of kray and some other render engine without insulting someone elses work and we'll be all good. ;)

In my blog i'm trying to help people, trying to explain the ideas behind my renders, in general trying to do some good for the 3d community; i use vray, because that was my choice many years ago, but you won't see me calling names someone elses work just to try to prove that mine is better.

Please try to see my point of view. If i've thrown your render onto any renderengines forum and say that it is rubbish and that with this render engine(on which forums i would be posting) i can get much better effects, you probably won't be too happy about it either. Have you seen someone somewhere do such thing? ;)

Best regards
Sz.