Clear-Coated Material

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
medzo

Clear-Coated Material

Post by medzo »

Hi!

Does anybody know how to make a clear coated material with nodes? I am looking for something that has blured reflections as a base and on top of that clear reflections - like carpaint material but only with nodes.

Medzo
Janusz Biela

Re: Clear-Coated Material

Post by Janusz Biela »

Try this idea
Attachments
node.srf
(47.21 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
medzo

Post by medzo »

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for although it is painfully slow :)
And another thing, I always thought that diffuse, specular, reflection and refraction shading in node editor don't work with kray. If I start to use them, am I going to have any problems with rendering?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

medzo wrote:Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for although it is painfully slow :)
And another thing, I always thought that diffuse, specular, reflection and refraction shading in node editor don't work with kray. If I start to use them, am I going to have any problems with rendering?
Actually this is my old "carpaint" node for cars, very old (I have to update some new thinks for that)
medzo

Post by medzo »

If I understand this correctly - ALL - diffuse, specular, reflection and refraction shading nodes in node editor work with kray without any problems or are there some limitations?
khan973

Post by khan973 »

They work, you just won't have realistic results.
Once I started Kray, I had to understand this logic and all my habits for texturing / shading changed and I gained quality in my renders. Now I can make realistic renders thanks to this way of thinking.
However, as you use reflections + blur, realism is at the expense of render time obviously.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

I use only NODEs (reflection connected with diffuse and fresnel + limited reflection and bump map transformed to NORMAL map) . even blurr I put as texture in Node.Imho this Is only ONE way to get good surfacing...
Attachments
floor_node.jpg
medzo

Post by medzo »

Very interesting node. I like the idea of limited reflection -probably this speeds up renders and how you set up bump is also something new. But I have a question: why do you combine fresnel and reflection map with ADD node and not with MULTIPLY NODE?
medzo

Post by medzo »

just did some test renders and found that your reflection setup does give better results - lumi poligons affect the surface with your setup better (its better gradiently illuminated). with my MULTIPLY setup, the surface is too dull...
medzo

Post by medzo »

quick test
Attachments
reflection multiply node
reflection multiply node
reflection add node with limited bounce
reflection add node with limited bounce
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

medzo wrote:Very interesting node. I like the idea of limited reflection -probably this speeds up renders and how you set up bump is also something new. But I have a question: why do you combine fresnel and reflection map with ADD node and not with MULTIPLY NODE?

Maybe You are right...maybe should be MULTIPLY NODE.

Also important is good gray scale map for reflection channel and special gray scale map for blur NODE (I control there with layer opacity , but not strong 5%-15% depends what kind of blur You want)
S0nny

Post by S0nny »

Janusz Biela wrote:Try this idea
Any idea why when I try to start a render with this material, Kray keep crashing Layout? It's a pretty simple scene, just an object.
It's my first week with Kray, but I'm experiencing many issue with node based materials.
btw I'm using the demo version v2.4 and LW 11.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

S0nny wrote:
Any idea why when I try to start a render with this material, Kray keep crashing Layout? It's a pretty simple scene, just an object.
It's my first week with Kray, but I'm experiencing many issue with node based materials.

It should not. Wait for Jure`s answer...maybe code of Kray`s demo is a bit different...
S0nny

Post by S0nny »

Janusz Biela wrote:
S0nny wrote:

It should not. Wait for Jure`s answer...maybe code of Kray`s demo is a bit different...
Thank you Janusz, maybe it's the demo, some of the free scenes downloaded from the Depo are in fact a bit different in rendering or in some case completely crash Layout (ie hotelroom that doesn't work at all)
Anyway I'm considering the purchase, but I need reliability in the demo to make my decision :-/
jure

Post by jure »

S0nny wrote:
Thank you Janusz, maybe it's the demo, some of the free scenes downloaded from the Depo are in fact a bit different in rendering or in some case completely crash Layout (ie hotelroom that doesn't work at all)
Anyway I'm considering the purchase, but I need reliability in the demo to make my decision :-/
It's because you are using LW11. Kray 2.4 does not officialy support LW11 because of many changes that have been done in LW11. You will need to wait for 2.5 update if you want to use Kray with LW11.
- Jure