Big Problem

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
khan973

Big Problem

Post by khan973 »

Hi,

my computer crashed with a scene with Kray Render.
So now when I open a scene without Kray, it works but as soon as I open one that uses the plugin, LW freezes at "loading plugins".
I've tried LW11, 9.6.1, 10.1, same problem.
I removed them all (+config files) , reinstalled, removed Kray, reinstalled but same problem over and over again...

Is there a place wher kray stores infos (registry?) so I can remove everything?
I have a project to deliver an relied on Kray
Thanks
khan973

Re: Big Problem

Post by khan973 »

I open a news scene, I load the plug-in, I try to select Kray as rendering engine, and when clicking on Renderer Options -> freeze...
any idea?
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Tried with 2.3 too, same problem
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Empty scene, just applying Kray instance plug in to an object makes it freeze...
There is something going on, I can't figure out what exactly
I am pretty sure it has to do with the place it stores the license.

It seems that it freezes at thet moment
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Erased in registry and still not working... :cry: :cry:
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

oh crap...really no idea, but problem can be with Lightwave also (I got this one time).
Try maybe the first delete LW10-64.CFG (before new installation of Lightwave) and start LW with default setup.
jure

Post by jure »

khan973 wrote:Erased in registry and still not working... :cry: :cry:
Kray doesn't write anything to registry. I think you have corrupted your LW configs files.
- Jure
nico

Post by nico »

usually the problem is in lwo model....so kray crash!!!
khan973

Post by khan973 »

I don't think so because when I open an other session but admin as well, it works.
I removed completely lw config files.
Anyways, I've spent too much time trying to fix things, I moved my cenes to Vray with distributed render, it loads all my objects with no pain, and render in 5 min what was takin 3hrs + with a medium quality.
Maybe I don't manag Kray so well, but I think I understant a little bit as it worked for me on many projects.
I think that having reflection + blur on so many objects + instances makes it snail slow. uncached was a little bit faster but still too much.
I wanted to try with virtual render, but never managed to make it work and I don't want to spend 75$ to upgrade.

Mu short experience with Vray was very good, I wish we had that many passes we could import and also the ability in Kray to render one image with many computers. My 72 cores were very helpful to render 1 image.

I feel sad that I had to give up on Kray to get my project done especially after 3 weeks of painful experiences.
For big projects (thousands objects) LW + Kray need improvements. Max XRefs are awesome to activate / deactivate groups of objects which makes it easier to work, render.
If I can help with the experience I had I'd be glad to.

Too bad I can't share this project, I'd be surprised to see what more experienced users like you guys could come up with.

Am I forced to used reflection + blur on all objects? if not, what are alternatives to still get convincing results? And with so many reflection, recurse 20 is still appropriated?

Thanks for the support anyway, this community is awesome!
jnom

Post by jnom »

Being a vray user I can agree on most of your points. However the handling of large scenes is more of lw lack of features from 3dmax.
I wish we had vrayproxy, xrefs, scenestates and distributed rendering via lwsn. Maybe kray 3.0 will have proxy, distributed render, micropoly disp. Xref and scenestate is more of lw problem.
We can render one single image in lw and kray by using butterflynet render. It splits the image into section and sent to each node then assebled automatically later. Amleto can do only lw renderer for now so we should ask the dev to look into supporting split render for kray.
jure

Post by jure »

I'm well aware of LW problems and shortcomings and we are doing what we can on our part to get the best out of it.
and render in 5 min what was takin 3hrs + with a medium quality.
Now that's totally unrealistic and quite impossible. Vray by default only has 5 recursions set on reflective/refractive materials so having set 20 in Kray is obviously an overkill.

Anyways what really makes me wondering is why your scene is crashing. It sounds like your scene file got corrupted somehow or there is an Lscript bug that causes LW to freeze. In any case it would be extremely useful for us to get a scene that can reproduce this error so we can try and find solution for it.
- Jure
khan973

Post by khan973 »

That's what I was wondering, if the recursion has something to do with it. I wasn't sure because every time I went from 8 to 20, it didn't seem to make renders really slow. Probably my scenes weren't big enough.
The crash is not scene dependant. In any scene, even empty scene I have the crash while everything works fine on an other windows session.
I removed everything: lw settings, lw itself, kray plug-ins, registry datas and nothing worked.

LW11 handles more data and loads faster so LW11 compatibility will be nice.
Also, I haven't checked if instances were working or not while importing scenes (ID problem), if so, it will be nice too, especially when Kray handles LW instances.
The plug-in called Janus has a proxy system, you pick objects and you create a set, then, you associate proxy to them. At rendering time, it switches between proxy and final objects.

If I knew how to code, I guess it would be a small piece of code, very easy to do I guess. You associate objects to low res proxy or nulls, they can be instanced and with one click you could: switch to final / switch to proxy based on group or unique objects.
And a checkbox that says replace proxy at render.
This could aslo be automated with an object in the folder that has the same name plus _proxy suffix. And also a modeler plug-in that could simplify the object but there is already tons of them.

Because now it's doable by hand, but time consuming.
Of course not as good as xrefs, but a great fist step. I had the idea of many plug-ins like that and wanted to find good plug-ins developpers to pay to do that but it seems like most of the good developpers aren't really interested in working for others :)

Anyhow, I haven't lost my faith and love for Kray, just looking for better days where LW will fix itx biggest flaws.
jure

Post by jure »

I hear you and actually have a plan already for proxies. I'm not sure I follow you on the xref subject though... would you care to elaborate on that?
- Jure
khan973

Post by khan973 »

The cool thing with xref is that you can turn on / off a subscene very quickly.
Once it's on, you see it in the rendering.
This xref can contain itself instances which is very nice too.

So there is no need to activate each object separately.
Xrefs can be edited independantely as they are basic .max scenes.

So we wouldn't just need objects proxies but scene proxies so everything in the scene keeps its attributes. That is what xrefs are. Plus a list of the scene xRefs to activate / deactivate, merge them in the scene.
Also a must have for mechanical complex projects.
I have many ideas on how it could work (on a user / ergonomic point of view). I've been thinking about that for a while, before xrefs came and before I knew it existed :)

If you have a plan, I'd be glad to collaborate, and share my ideas.
Production wise this could be a huge plus for Lightwave. People need to have tools to be able to collaborate, work on the same project but different parts. xRefs are just 30% of what they could be
jnom

Post by jnom »

Xrefs are cool. But I suspect its outside what a rendering plugin could take over.
In a way lw is using xref by having the object files separate to a scene file. Only thing there's no animation on .lwo and you can't save any changes to a lwo within a lws without overwriting the .lwo files unlike xrefs. A unified environment would solve this issue.
Its good to hear some type of proxy is being planned for kray. Just wondering, would it be a null then add a kray proxy modifier that point to a .lwo and only there during render time? Would it be possible to proxy a lws with animation instead? That would be huge.