KRAY and Huge Scenes

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
khan973

KRAY and Huge Scenes

Post by khan973 »

Hi, do you know how I can improve rendering time for a huge Scene?
My scene takes 8/9 Go with hundreds of instances there are thousands objects, reflection blur for realism.

I have mostly lumi poly but also a few Area lights, spherical lights and many IES.

I have put My octree to low and my settings are very low for test renders.
320 x 180 takes 5mn to render (Dual Quad Core (16 Threads), 12 Go Ram).
Thats a loooong time!

I tried to remove areas and spherical but the gain wasn't big. I turned instances off, small gains too. I remove Ies, almost no gains.
I removed useless objects (those the camera don't see) and i gained a littele bit.

I don't see why it is taking so long. Can't share the file unfortunately (NDA) but it's driving me nuts.
My instances are mostly cups, sndwiches (normal res), chairs, desks and so on, nothing crazy like leaves.

Do you have an idea of what else I could improve?
jure

Re: KRAY and Huge Scenes

Post by jure »

khan973 wrote:Hi, do you know how I can improve rendering time for a huge Scene?
My scene takes 8/9 Go with hundreds of instances there are thousands objects, reflection blur for realism.

I have mostly lumi poly but also a few Area lights, spherical lights and many IES.

I have put My octree to low and my settings are very low for test renders.
320 x 180 takes 5mn to render (Dual Quad Core (16 Threads), 12 Go Ram).
Thats a loooong time!

I tried to remove areas and spherical but the gain wasn't big. I turned instances off, small gains too. I remove Ies, almost no gains.
I removed useless objects (those the camera don't see) and i gained a littele bit.

I don't see why it is taking so long. Can't share the file unfortunately (NDA) but it's driving me nuts.
My instances are mostly cups, sndwiches (normal res), chairs, desks and so on, nothing crazy like leaves.

Do you have an idea of what else I could improve?
Try removing lumi objects or simply use Kray override and turn disable luminosity... See if that helps. You can play with other options there if this doesn't help. Also try uncached.
- Jure
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Ok, If luminosity is the problem, do I have to go back to Area?

I also have big windows made with many small windows. So my Lumi poly is many squares smaller than the small windows and a few centimeters away (inside the building).

Does Kray couts each square as a light source because they are not joined or does it consider it is one source (1object).
And if it thinks it's many light sources, does it affect speed?
khan973

Post by khan973 »

I tried to remove Lumi poly and tried uncached, no real success. Same render time.
jure

Post by jure »

khan973 wrote:Ok, If luminosity is the problem, do I have to go back to Area?

I also have big windows made with many small windows. So my Lumi poly is many squares smaller than the small windows and a few centimeters away (inside the building).

Does Kray couts each square as a light source because they are not joined or does it consider it is one source (1object).
And if it thinks it's many light sources, does it affect speed?
Luminosity usualy renders much faster than area lights. If you have many small polys as single surface it will be considered as one light source unless you divide them to parts (that's where autoparts plugin is usefull).

Since you say it still renders long, try the other options in Kray override, like disabling reflection. See if that is culprit of your problems.
- Jure
khan973

Post by khan973 »

I had to chop my scene in pieces, not convenient as each time I import instances from scene I have to reassign them on hudreds objects :(
I think Lightwave don't handle enough objects. Well at least with 12GB RAM I still feel like it's not easy to work in Layout with so much objects.
Plus it leads to instances disappearing at the render.

But the instance importing issue (relation to object ID) is the main problem for me right now. It takes too long to reassign and crashes often.

Is there a way to fix that in 2.5? To have them still assigned to the right object when imported?
jure

Post by jure »

khan973 wrote:I had to chop my scene in pieces, not convenient as each time I import instances from scene I have to reassign them on hudreds objects :(
I think Lightwave don't handle enough objects. Well at least with 12GB RAM I still feel like it's not easy to work in Layout with so much objects.
Plus it leads to instances disappearing at the render.

But the instance importing issue (relation to object ID) is the main problem for me right now. It takes too long to reassign and crashes often.

Is there a way to fix that in 2.5? To have them still assigned to the right object when imported?
I don't know how that can be fixed. We can't just assign them to name because that will cause all sort of other problems. And i see no way for plugin to check what is going on with ID's when loading from scene...
- Jure
khan973

Post by khan973 »

I'll check if Lw instances do the same. If not, it means there is a workaround.
Maybe you can chack with NT.
But if it does work and that 2.5 supports LW11 instances, it will be just fine then.

On my project, the biggest time I spend is reassigning and cheching ALL instances for dozens of scenes with thousands objects.
It keeps me busy for hours.