Non Flicker Settings?

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
Richard Culver

Non Flicker Settings?

Post by Richard Culver »

Hi,

Completely new to Kray. I have read the manual and I think I have a fairly good handle on what is going on. But there are some things not really clear to me.

I have used the preset Animation on a scene with camera movement on an interior lit with only light from the background. So it is a very dark scene which I like. But I also want to move a character so this is why I chose a setting for animation not just a setting for only the camera. But even just animating the camera I am getting a lot of movement and flicker in the shaded areas. I really don't know where to start with this as far as the settings go. I like how it looks as a still - as far as a basic test goes - but it has to also work for animation. Any ideas about what settings will reduce the flicker and movement artifacts in shadows? Is it really possible to get flicker free rendering on deformed characters?

The only setting I changed was the frame setting from 5 to 1 but this did not remove any flicker.

LW Scene file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15928817/Kray.zip

Any help would be appreciated in getting me going in the right direction.
jnom

Re: Non Flicker Settings?

Post by jnom »

I suggest you bake the background first even with low setting then render only that. Then render the animated elements separately using higher settings or brute force, no baking. Then render out the shadow for the moving elements. Compose everything together.
Trying to render out everything in one pass especially interior spaces with moving elements won't work. Exterior is ok though.
Richard Culver

Post by Richard Culver »

OK fair enough.

Now just taking the character part by itself. When you say brute force, can you share some ideas about what settings that will work well with a deformed mesh? I mean I have read the manual but there are a ton of settings that would seem to address with issue. Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks for the reply.
jnom

Post by jnom »

My previous tests with interior spaces in kray with deforming geometry was using uncached irridiance, like bruteforce afaik.
The other tests that were ok was using GI Mode - time interpolation. Values would differ from scene to scene. There would be splotches but you can reduce them using motionblur in post. There's a preset now Animated GI, the baseline values are good but settings too high I think. Try to optimize per scene.
Richard Culver

Post by Richard Culver »

The Animated GI setting is not good enough. I find it actually to be too low.

Any tutorials that address this issue?
jnom

Post by jnom »

Can you post a render of the scene you're trying to animate? You only use the preset animated gi for the deforming objects not the whole scene. The whole seen still needs to be broken down into elements and rendered in different gi mode.