slow render times ...need help

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
larry_g1s

slow render times ...need help

Post by larry_g1s »

I've got an interior scene that seems to me to be rendering very slow for Kray. And I've got to do an animation for the project. The render times are around 13+ min at a 720 x 400 resolution on a 3.3GHz six-core machine. I've tried using luminous polys to light it (you can see those in the attached image) as well as (not at the same time) the large lights scene via the top view. I've got area lights at each of the windows which have been on when I use lumi polys and the large area lights. My settings are pretty basic (see below). Any quick help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
gym_test_01.jpg
kray_settings.jpg
screen shot.jpg
Larry V

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is
the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.
nico

Re: slow render times ...need help

Post by nico »

you need of lumi panel - no area light!!!

delete caustic

can share the scene witout object? :?:
jure

Post by jure »

Have you tried to light it with only lumi polys? Lot's of area lights can make render time quite slow. Also check with Kray override if reflection is maybe the cause of the problem.

Also if your going to animate it you need to set "passes" in FG tab to 1.
- Jure
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

HUGE improvement in render times!!! Dropped to just over a minute! Thanks so much fellas. It's definitely blotchy compared to the previous renders, but I'll search the forums on how to clean that up. I'm trying to model more in modo, but dang I'm still enjoying Kray. Big thanks again guys.
nico wrote:you need of lumi panel - no area light!!!

delete caustic

can share the scene witout object? :?:
What do you mean by delete caustic?
jure wrote:Have you tried to light it with only lumi polys? Lot's of area lights can make render time quite slow. Also check with Kray override if reflection is maybe the cause of the problem.

Also if your going to animate it you need to set "passes" in FG tab to 1.
On the FG tab I see Path Passes and just Passess (under the Min Rays) Which one are you referring to?
Larry V

nico

Post by nico »

Larry in PHOTONS PANEL Caustic preset insert LOW (NO MEDIUM) Caustic photons 0

> GLOBAL PHOTONS 2000000
if you need + lighting = power 2.0

IN FINAL GATHER PANEL FG Thereshould min 200 max 800
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

Thanks Nico.
Larry V

jure

Post by jure »

nico wrote:Larry in PHOTONS PANEL Caustic preset insert LOW (NO MEDIUM) Caustic photons 0

> GLOBAL PHOTONS 2000000
if you need + lighting = power 2.0

IN FINAL GATHER PANEL FG Thereshould min 200 max 800
Caustics are not enabled so this won't make any difference.
- Jure
nico

Post by nico »

jure wrote:Caustics are not enabled so this won't make any difference.
oh i've see now general tab attachment :oops:
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

I got the project done last week...thanks so much fellas. It's nothing big, but maybe I'll post it when I get an ok.

But just out of curiosity, what are the benefits of LW lights if Lumi Polys are soooo much faster? What's the pros and cons of each?
Larry V

Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

larry_g1s wrote:
But just out of curiosity, what are the benefits of LW lights if Lumi Polys are soooo much faster? What's the pros and cons of each?
....As I said before LW lights are just "emulate" in Kray and second LW lights are physical sources of light (We do not need interpolation for them, only we can control noise level). Luminescence is faster, because is no control of noise (this is interpolated source of light) only we can control "contact shadow" by engine setup in Kray. I think first sources of light in Kray was luminescence because this is much easier to do. Will be nice to have special shader in Kray (same as V-ray lights) which increase speed of render of LW Lights....
I prefer luminescence ... is no limits for sources of light , easy to control, scene are "soft" in renders, no noise, we can hide item to make trick with rapid lights (small fake bulb lamp as RAYTRACING and hidden Lumi Ball as rapid light, etc...) :wink:
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

Janusz Biela wrote:
larry_g1s wrote:
....As I said before LW lights are just "emulate" in Kray and second LW lights are physical sources of light (We do not need interpolation for them, only we can control noise level). Luminescence is faster, because is no control of noise (this is interpolated source of light) only we can control "contact shadow" by engine setup in Kray. I think first sources of light in Kray was luminescence because this is much easier to do. Will be nice to have special shader in Kray (same as V-ray lights) which increase speed of render of LW Lights....
I prefer luminescence ... is no limits for sources of light , easy to control, scene are "soft" in renders, no noise, we can hide item to make trick with rapid lights (small fake bulb lamp as RAYTRACING and hidden Lumi Ball as rapid light, etc...) :wink:
Very nice. Thanks.
Larry V