Kray 2.4 released

General disscusion about Kray
jure

Kray 2.4 released

Post by jure »

A small update here today. Shadow density support added and some bugs have been fixed. LW 10.1 support is still flaky since there are some SDK issues.

Go to download area to get Kray 2.4 update.

Enjoy!
- Jure
jdomingo

Re: Kray 2.4 released

Post by jdomingo »

thanks Jure and G and Kray team. more power. keep it coming....
btw, what is about the shadow density? how and where is that useful with?
jure

Post by jure »

This is mainly for compositing so you can get clean shadow pass out of Kray. I think jnom and geo_n can tell you more about how to use it...
- Jure
jnom

Post by jnom »

Thanks for the update Jure.
Testing the shadow density now. I notice its hard to get smooth shadow pass in kray unless you do full pass AA. Rendertime is pretty high.

jdomingo - one very critical use is in animation. To save rendertime and headache with gi, its best to bake out the bg elements with a static cache. Render the animated elements separately with brute force,etc and also the shadow pass that you will composite together with the bg elements.
We separate the shadow pass so that when adjusting the animated elements you don't affect the shadows at all. It would be great to have kray support exr so that you can edit the separate elements easier.
jure

Post by jure »

jnom wrote:Thanks for the update Jure.
Testing the shadow density now. I notice its hard to get smooth shadow pass in kray unless you do full pass AA. Rendertime is pretty high.
What do you mean you can't get smooth shadow pass? Can you show example?
- Jure
funk

Post by funk »

Hi guys. I decided to test the new demo but kray does not show up under lw10.1 win32. Win64 works fine (you had the same bug when you initially released the 2.3 demo too, but it was fixed after I reported it: http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum ... pic#p14484 )

Basically the problems are:

1. There is no longer a way to select Kray in the lightwave Render Globals > Render tab. I can see all the kray plugins in master plugins (ctrl+Q), so part of the plugin is working.
2. When loading a kray scene I get an error "No plug-in type ExtRenderHandler found with name KrayRenderer. Would you like to load it from disk>"

Only win32 has the problem (it looks like you accidentally have 2 kray.p for lw7.5 instead of one for 9.5+ in the zip)
Win7 64/Core i7-975 3.33GHz/12GB RAM/GTX 670 2GB/2x1920x1200/Wacom Intuos4 M
I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live - Jesus Christ
jure

Post by jure »

funk wrote:Hi guys. I decided to test the new demo but kray does not show up under lw10.1 win32. Win64 works fine (you had the same bug when you initially released the 2.3 demo too, but it was fixed after I reported it: http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum ... pic#p14484 )

1. There is no longer a way to select Kray in the lightwave Render Globals > Render tab. I can see all the kray plugins in master plugins (ctrl+Q), so part of the plugin is working.
2. When loading a kray scene I get an error "No plug-in type ExtRenderHandler found with name KrayRenderer. Would you like to load it from disk>"

Only win32 has the problem (it looks like you accidentally have 2 kray.p for lw7.5 instead of one for 9.5+ in the zip)
oh bummer! Thanks for reporting. Will fix it ASAP.
- Jure
jnom

Post by jnom »

jure wrote:
This is example. Kray render is noisy and splotchy
Attachments
kray.png
lw.png
jure

Post by jure »

funk wrote:Hi guys. I decided to test the new demo but kray does not show up under lw10.1 win32. Win64 works fine (you had the same bug when you initially released the 2.3 demo too, but it was fixed after I reported it: http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum ... pic#p14484 )

I have updated both versions. Please check now, it should work.
- Jure
jure

Post by jure »

jnom wrote:
jure wrote:
This is example. Kray render is noisy and splotchy
You can control quality of area lights in Kray Quality tab. Increase min/max recursion setting.
- Jure
jnom

Post by jnom »

jure wrote:
You can control quality of area lights in Kray Quality tab. Increase min/max recursion setting.
Yes but this slows down render time a lot. the value from 3-4 makes big jump in quality and render time. And even at 4 there's a lot of grain/noise that can only be cleaned with full AA grid 3,4.
jnom

Post by jnom »

jure wrote: oh bummer! Thanks for reporting. Will fix it ASAP.
Is this error only for the demo? Do I have to redownload 2.4 in my account?
jure

Post by jure »

jnom wrote:
jure wrote: oh bummer! Thanks for reporting. Will fix it ASAP.
Is this error only for the demo? Do I have to redownload 2.4 in my account?
Yes, redownload and it should be fine.
- Jure
nico

Post by nico »

excuse kray 2.4 work on LW11? :?:
:D
jure

Post by jure »

nico wrote:excuse kray 2.4 work on LW11? :?:
:D