Archviz Training DVD - from Evermotion

General disscusion about Kray
djwaterman

Re: Archviz Training DVD - from Evermotion

Post by djwaterman »

If Kray comes out with displacement and it's animated GI is rock solid, people would really have to take it seriously, and an in depth introduction into working with Kray would be something new users would be searching for.
archijam

Post by archijam »

waterman - have to agree.

the days of "I practised for 2 years to find my own settings" are (hopefully) over. it's understandable for those who went through that process in the past to feel that way, but its counterproductive for the community.

with packages like c4d you can have your first decent render in MINUTES out of the box.

this is just smart. it sell licenses, guaranteed.

it often comes down to good, compatible presets, whether render settings, materials, or environment.

in the end business owners understand what a new software can mean for costs in transfer and learning. the test time alone can be many more times more expensive than the software itself. training is one of these shortcuts (second IMO to good presets...)

I know janusz that this is not what you meant - i agree entirely with you that the top 10% is all passion. but a decent level of output should be the standard, not the exception.

and +1 for displacements : D
Alexos

Post by Alexos »

+2. I've been advocating for good presets for years now - Lightwave's are average and, for the most part, five or so years old - and it applies to everything, K-ray included. "Low-medium-etc" is not enough - ideally we should have stuff such as "exterior shot, full daylight, small building, preview" and so on and so forth, because most people don't want (or don't have time) to experiment and learn - they want out-of-the-box solutions that work. I mean it should be pretty straightforward: you want to sell licenses, you (I'm mainly talking about Newtek here, not Kray) should make life easier for the customer, not give them an entire folder full of "solid colors" surface presets that NOBODY will ever use or textures that aren't seamless or just don't work anymore (fractalreflections anyone?)

The pioneering, do-it-yourself times are over. The community efforts, see Presetcentral, don't work very well anymore - not going to dwell into the reasons why. Take VRoom as an example: they sell the product and presets separately, and the presets price make it so that basically everyone will buy them too. I believe that's the way to go.

ADP.
jure

Post by jure »

Those are all very good points and we will take them into cosideration. However we would like to deliver engine that would work out of the box with as many scenes as possible and thus eliminating need for presets.
- Jure
Mario

Post by Mario »

Seems you guys want an "MAKE ME AN ARTIST" button.
What happend to the good old days and sleepless nights?
Alexos

Post by Alexos »

jure wrote:Those are all very good points and we will take them into cosideration. However we would like to deliver engine that would work out of the box with as many scenes as possible and thus eliminating need for presets.
Wow. Well, now I'm curious! An unbiased K-ray? Gimme!

ADP.
jnom

Post by jnom »

Unbiased kray would be slow unless it supports gpu rendering.
Right now I think its best to focus kray to be able to do animation like vray and not try to go the maxwell,fryrender or octane route. And there's already a free unbiased renderer, lux, anyway. The new blender renderer seems to be unbiased as well being developed by ex developer of octane renderer, Lol.
jure

Post by jure »

Alexos wrote:
jure wrote:Those are all very good points and we will take them into cosideration. However we would like to deliver engine that would work out of the box with as many scenes as possible and thus eliminating need for presets.
Wow. Well, now I'm curious! An unbiased K-ray? Gimme!

ADP.
I wasn't suggesting unbiased rendering. What I meant is we will optimize the engine so it will be able to adapt to all kind of scenarios.
- Jure