Frequent crashing with Lightwave 9.6 for Mac

General disscusion about Kray
jrandom

Frequent crashing with Lightwave 9.6 for Mac

Post by jrandom »

I just purchased KRay and have noticed it crashes Lightwave quite frequently. I'm running Lightwave 9.6 on Mac OS X (10.6.4). It usually happens after 3-4 still frame renders, regardless of settings.
brownie

Re: Frequent crashing with Lightwave 9.6 for Mac

Post by brownie »

I have the same config, and Kray is stable here, except if:

-You change a lot of things in your scene between each render without saving.

-If you run out of memory.

Otherwise it should be a config/prefs issue.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

How much RAM you have?
jrandom

Post by jrandom »

I have 4GB RAM, plenty of disk space, and I save very frequently because I'm a former Windows user and am used to frequently-crashing computers. I hit the hotkey for saving like a nervous tic, no matter what program I'm in. :)
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

jrandom wrote:I have 4GB RAM, plenty of disk space, and I save very frequently because I'm a former Windows user and am used to frequently-crashing computers. I hit the hotkey for saving like a nervous tic, no matter what program I'm in. :)
Do You have another computer? Please check on second. From my expirence problems was always from: windows system, bad GFX drivers , something wrong with LW (help reinstall), very rar from Kray (if was problem - everyboy has it). I suggest second computer. If scenes are heavy - 4 Giga Ram is too small...
jrandom

Post by jrandom »

Lessee... Mac OS X 10.6.4, Lightwave 9.6 itself appears stable. I'm averaging about 30-40 frames between crashes for rendering an animation (rendering stills gets me maybe 3-7 renders before a crash). It's a fairly lightweight scene, Octree set to Normal. I'm using the Medium settings with the Quality tab changed from Medium to Custom so I could up the Blurring Accuracy to 50%. I'm rendering at 960x540 to individual .hdr files (so I can restart a crashed render where it left off) using Time Interpolation GI (frame=5, extinction=30%, precached map and irradiance cache both checked).

I can reinstall Lightwave if I absolutely have to, but are there any other steps I can take first?
jrandom

Post by jrandom »

Looks like I get to play the "I am a moron" card. :)

So I reinstall Lightwave (and reorganize the location of my third-party plug-ins and preferences folder, so this is a good thing anyway) and when I go to install KRay again I notice that there's both a kray and kray-tiger plugin... tiger would be for OS X 10.4, right? And I'm running 10.6... so... if I had installed both plugins the first time around that could cause serious problems, right?

Argh. Agh. Meh.

Anyhow, no crashes with a fresh Lightwave and KRay install sans kray-tiger. Hopefully it'll stay nice and stable now.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

jrandom wrote:Looks like I get to play the "I am a moron" card. :)

So I reinstall Lightwave (and reorganize the location of my third-party plug-ins and preferences folder, so this is a good thing anyway) and when I go to install KRay again I notice that there's both a kray and kray-tiger plugin... tiger would be for OS X 10.4, right? And I'm running 10.6... so... if I had installed both plugins the first time around that could cause serious problems, right?

Argh. Agh. Meh.

Anyhow, no crashes with a fresh Lightwave and KRay install sans kray-tiger. Hopefully it'll stay nice and stable now.

About crashes: I had 2 or 3 times problem from Lightwave,but after reinstalation problem solved...anyway...4 Giga Ram is a bit less, when I jumped from 4 to 8 giga i saw biiiiiig difference. Thats my point. If You still recive problems just export scene and send to as, Grzegorz will check where is problem (maybe is rar bug which you catch, this is moment for him find problem in code...)