kray and vRoom "node-compatibility problem"

General disscusion about Kray
zukov

kray and vRoom "node-compatibility problem"

Post by zukov »

I'm testing kray and vRoom v1.2
lightwave v 9.31 and default setting on kray

kray v1.7 it works well (a bit slow.. but completed )
kray v2.1 it does not work ( can't recognize at all , the result is same as screen shot I've cliped on this post)

v2.1 may be advanced version and taking into account that kraytracing is working on node compatibility ,
it is somewhat weird .

vroom is one of the most important plug in for construction CG
eurisko say they support kray....

and additional problem happened ! it does not support lw built-in node , just brick3D .

is there should be some adjustment for node compatibility ?
I cliped brick render fail screen shot .. every raytrace option on... no other texture but brick procedural node .
kray v1.7 work even though it is "material node(vRoom)"
but v 2.1 does not work even just a texture node under the same circumstances

so I assume vRoom compatibility problem is caused by kray for some reason
Attachments
kray_test_brick_render_fail.JPG
jure

Re: kray and vRoom "node-compatibility problem"

Post by jure »

zukov wrote:I'm testing kray and vRoom v1.2
lightwave v 9.31 and default setting on kray

kray v1.7 it works well (a bit slow.. but completed )
kray v2.1 it does not work ( can't recognize at all , the result is same as screen shot I've cliped on this post)

v2.1 may be advanced version and taking into account that kraytracing is working on node compatibility ,
it is somewhat weird .

vroom is one of the most important plug in for construction CG
eurisko say they support kray....

and additional problem happened ! it does not support lw built-in node , just brick3D .

is there should be some adjustment for node compatibility ?
I cliped brick render fail screen shot .. every raytrace option on... no other texture but brick procedural node .
kray v1.7 work even though it is "material node(vRoom)"
but v 2.1 does not work even just a texture node under the same circumstances

so I assume vRoom compatibility problem is caused by kray for some reason
Bricks works fine here (LW9.6, Kray 2.1). I do not have vroom so I cannot test that.
Attachments
bricks.png
- Jure
Alexos

Post by Alexos »

Hmm, nope, VRoom works as expected here - see image.
test_vroom.jpg
However, Jure... it is HORRIBLY slow. The "computing global PM" part takes ages to complete - the attached image rendered in about 14 minutes with K-ray while it took only about 40 seconds with LW native. I really need some optimization advice here - I'm also attaching the kray settings I've used, if you'd be so kind as to take a look at those...

ADP.
Attachments
kray_settings.KGcfg
(1015 Bytes) Downloaded 244 times
jure

Post by jure »

Hi,
your settings look fine. I would need to get the plugin to check what's causing the slowdown. Will write to author.
- Jure
zukov

Post by zukov »

hello jure.

then only on lightwave v 9.6 node rendering is possible ?

I request some fix for v9.31 for kray - node

and can I recieve old versions between kray v 1.7 and kray v 2.1 ?

it is serious problem , not only material node but also all the node is not recognized

as you know lightwave v 9.6 is different from v 9.5 , v 9.3 ...
and there exist many plug-in does not work with v 9.6 and they are critical in my works

so I say ....I ask you, if I can test old versions for the solution of this problem .
v 1.8 , v 1.9 , v 2.0 , I BEG YOU.
jure

Post by jure »

zukov wrote:hello jure.

as you know lightwave v 9.6 is different from v 9.5 , v 9.3 ...
and there exist many plug-in does not work with v 9.6 and they are critical in my works
As far as I know all plugins from LW 9.x series can be used in LW9.6 also. What plugins are you talking about exactly?
- Jure
zukov

Post by zukov »

thanks for reading my complain .

for example , built-in "bvh loader" in v 9.6 is different from that of v 9.3
in v 9.3 bvh created by "pvs"(kind of motion capture system I have ) is loaded exactly.
but in v 9.6 same bvh is loaded with the torso twisted !! as if broken figure.
well, I can load it to v 9.3 and transfer it to v 9.6 .... but quite bothering.

and when it come to "unreal(japanese catoon drawing -one of my main plug-in)" cel painting crash in v 9.6
( I'm making animation , a bit far away from major kray customer so...odds and ends in my plug-in folder..)
only if kray 2 support node in v 9.3 everything would be completely perfect in v 9.3 pipeline...
without complicated composition , almost everything is complete in a single render
If you are too busy to fix this node problem , I have to stay in kray v 1.7 for bulk of my scene.

I like the feeling kray 2.1 makes(a bit picture like) ... it is different from v 1.7(a bit photo like)... .
kray v 2.1 makes more cartoon like feeling than kray v 1.7
so with kray v 2.1 , I reduced postprocessing time significantly , it was amazing !!
unexpectedly my pipeline is improved . ( is there unknown change in developing orientation ? )
I was delighted !! but ..... this compatibility problem made me disappointed .

may I ask some question ?
IS it possible ? to use the plug-in ( packed with kray v2.1 ) with kray v 1.7 ?
physical sky, tone mapping composition, and others.
jure

Post by jure »

Alexos wrote:Hmm, nope, VRoom works as expected here - see image.
test_vroom.jpg
However, Jure... it is HORRIBLY slow. The "computing global PM" part takes ages to complete - the attached image rendered in about 14 minutes with K-ray while it took only about 40 seconds with LW native. I really need some optimization advice here - I'm also attaching the kray settings I've used, if you'd be so kind as to take a look at those...

ADP.

Okay so Luke (the vRoom guy) was nice enough to let me test vRoom with Kray. It seems to work fine here except that photons take very long time to shoot like you mentioned. Try using "Emit" mode in photons panel - it should be much faster.
- Jure
jure

Post by jure »

zukov wrote:thanks for reading my complain .

for example , built-in "bvh loader" in v 9.6 is different from that of v 9.3
in v 9.3 bvh created by "pvs"(kind of motion capture system I have ) is loaded exactly.
but in v 9.6 same bvh is loaded with the torso twisted !! as if broken figure.
well, I can load it to v 9.3 and transfer it to v 9.6 .... but quite bothering.

and when it come to "unreal(japanese catoon drawing -one of my main plug-in)" cel painting crash in v 9.6
( I'm making animation , a bit far away from major kray customer so...odds and ends in my plug-in folder..)
only if kray 2 support node in v 9.3 everything would be completely perfect in v 9.3 pipeline...
without complicated composition , almost everything is complete in a single render
If you are too busy to fix this node problem , I have to stay in kray v 1.7 for bulk of my scene.

I like the feeling kray 2.1 makes(a bit picture like) ... it is different from v 1.7(a bit photo like)... .
kray v 2.1 makes more cartoon like feeling than kray v 1.7
so with kray v 2.1 , I reduced postprocessing time significantly , it was amazing !!
unexpectedly my pipeline is improved . ( is there unknown change in developing orientation ? )
I was delighted !! but ..... this compatibility problem made me disappointed .

may I ask some question ?
IS it possible ? to use the plug-in ( packed with kray v2.1 ) with kray v 1.7 ?
physical sky, tone mapping composition, and others.
I see your problem now yes. Sorry but 2.1 physky and tonemapping can not be used in 1.7 versions.
The node problem you are having must be because newtek changed things in SDK a couple of times. So obviously we cannot have perfect compatibility with all old versions. I will take a look into your problem though.
- Jure
Alexos

Post by Alexos »

jure wrote:Okay so Luke (the vRoom guy) was nice enough to let me test vRoom with Kray. It seems to work fine here except that photons take very long time to shoot like you mentioned. Try using "Emit" mode in photons panel - it should be much faster.
Yeah, Luke's a great fellow. And it worked! Down to 3 minutes now - perfectly acceptable. The final images looks exactly the same, so um... what did I just do? Is there any particular reason, or set of circumstances, why I should prefer one method to the other?

ADP.
jure

Post by jure »

Alexos wrote:
jure wrote:Okay so Luke (the vRoom guy) was nice enough to let me test vRoom with Kray. It seems to work fine here except that photons take very long time to shoot like you mentioned. Try using "Emit" mode in photons panel - it should be much faster.
Yeah, Luke's a great fellow. And it worked! Down to 3 minutes now - perfectly acceptable. The final images looks exactly the same, so um... what did I just do? Is there any particular reason, or set of circumstances, why I should prefer one method to the other?

ADP.
Receive mode will keep shooting photons until the number specified have hit the objects in scene. Aparently because vroom creates geometry on the fly Kray does not count it into this quota.
In emit mode kray will stop shooting when number of photon specified has been shot into scene.
- Jure