Seen by radiosity but unseen by rays

General disscusion about Kray
bgoreta1

Seen by radiosity but unseen by rays

Post by bgoreta1 »

How can I make an object be seen by radiosity calculations ( luminous polys ) but then make them unvisible to rays in the final render stage ?
khan973

Re: Seen by radiosity but unseen by rays

Post by khan973 »

In the footer, type that command:
lwo2unseenbyrays_affectsgi 0;

And check your unseen by rays and unseen by camera if needed on your object
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

This is what I use non-stop in interiors :D Lumi Poly in windows as Rapid light.
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Johny_quick wrote:This is what I use non-stop in interiors :D Lumi Poly in windows as Rapid light.
Ah so that lumi polys won't be seen in reflection, etc but still emit light?
How much luminousity do you put in lumipoly in windows? I haven't tried lumipolys because they give too light shadows.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

geo_n wrote:
Johny_quick wrote:This is what I use non-stop in interiors :D Lumi Poly in windows as Rapid light.
How much luminousity do you put in lumipoly in windows? I haven't tried lumipolys because they give too light shadows.
If You have too light shadows this mean bad tonemaping.
try: 600% blue before windows inside room, thats all.
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Johny_quick wrote:
geo_n wrote:
If You have too light shadows this mean bad tonemaping.
try: 600% blue before windows inside room, thats all.
ah I tried lumipolys when there was no lwf in kray so no tonemapping either. :D
Whats a good tonemapping value for lumi lights at 600%?
kray panel power .6
toneblend gamma and exponential what ratio?

I'm getting ok results with gamma 1.6, exp 1.6 blend 70%
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

My best with one update: Exponential parametr biger then 3.5....
http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/downlo ... &mode=view
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Had to dig this up. Trying to test out lumi polys. This should be on by default and not a tailer command. So that when people click unseen its automatic :mrgreen:
jure

Post by jure »

geo_n wrote:Had to dig this up. Trying to test out lumi polys. This should be on by default and not a tailer command. So that when people click unseen its automatic :mrgreen:
It's not on by default because that behaviour is not compatible with LW.
- Jure
brownie

Post by brownie »

Some of the recent implemented functions really need to have their own button, but I'm sure it's on the top of the todo list.
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

jure wrote:
geo_n wrote:Had to dig this up. Trying to test out lumi polys. This should be on by default and not a tailer command. So that when people click unseen its automatic :mrgreen:
It's not on by default because that behaviour is not compatible with LW.
Compatible in what way? Doesn't it mimic in lw where you have a lumi poly (or any object,mesh) in the scene and only want it to emit light so you turn off unseen by camera so its invisible? Or does it also remove the object from reflections like an actual arealight? That I think lw can't do to polys/objects without completely being unseen by rays.
In anycase what kind of bug would it cause if the command is turned on automatic if we click unseen by camera for that poly?
jure

Post by jure »

geo_n wrote: Compatible in what way? Doesn't it mimic in lw where you have a lumi poly (or any object,mesh) in the scene and only want it to emit light so you turn off unseen by camera so its invisible? Or does it also remove the object from reflections like an actual arealight? That I think lw can't do to polys/objects without completely being unseen by rays.
In anycase what kind of bug would it cause if the command is turned on automatic if we click unseen by camera for that poly?
Compatible to LW behaviour how it renders "unseen by camera" and "unseen by reflection" flags.

In LightWave when you use "unseen by camera" the object is only removed from direct rays visibility. It will still show in reflections/refractions. So if you want to get rid of the object completely then you need to turn on "unseen by rays" too. But that creates a problem because "unseen by rays" object will not be seen by any rays - even global illumination one.

This command overrides this problem by making objects visible to global illumination but still invisible to other rays.

Making this behavior default is very easy but it's not compatible to LW behavior and it may confuse some users, so we left it off by default. Perhaps we will add a button to the GUI to turn on this command instead.
- Jure
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

Ah I suspected that would be the case. So I guess a button for that would be the ideal way to do it. :mrgreen:
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

So I just tried using lumi polys. What a difference in quality and rendertime.
And also I think theres a serious problem with arealights in kray. I'm betting light leaks and extreme render time almost double that didn't exist in ob8 to rc4. I rerendered an old scene and rendertimes double. I will try lumipoly on that scene.
jure

Post by jure »

geo_n wrote:So I just tried using lumi polys. What a difference in quality and rendertime.
And also I think theres a serious problem with arealights in kray. I'm betting light leaks and extreme render time almost double that didn't exist in ob8 to rc4. I rerendered an old scene and rendertimes double. I will try lumipoly on that scene.
OK, please send me the scene if you find something...
- Jure