KRAY is behaving totally insane!

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
jaxtone

KRAY is behaving totally insane!

Post by jaxtone »

Today about two hours before a delivery Kray acts like a soft cow!

The render process for a single image that took about 15 seconds suddenly takes hours and the only thing that happends is that some rendered stripes appears after 10 minutes. From time to time I have noticed that Kray is instable and creates insane render times on images in scenes that haven´t been changed from earlier renders that took a minimum of time.

Comments?
Attachments
render fail.jpg
jure

Re: KRAY is behaving totally insane!

Post by jure »

It's hard to say. But this is usually down to user error. Without seeing your scene settings it's hard to say.
- Jure
jaxtone

Post by jaxtone »

Believe me when I say that I have been fighting this scene for two weeks without getting any further because everytime I change settings in Kray new trouble occures!

At this stage I am very close to totally give up on Kray, not becuase it should be bad in any way but just because I am no fan of to much technical "mumbo jumbo". I just wanted to get a fast preview of a rendered scene because I didn´t think that Lightwave could manage doing this the way I wanted. But to me it´s not reasonable that I first need a knowlegde that is so deep that I risk loosing my deadline.

So tell me this!

Is Kray only workable if you first learn all technical information in the white papers of it?
(I just want an easy setup for render some screen shots from different angles where the GI in Kray is at it´s best.)

What I would like to see is pedagogical instruction videos or just tutorial videos that guide me from point A to B, is there anything like it?
jure wrote:It's hard to say. But this is usually down to user error. Without seeing your scene settings it's hard to say.
jure

Post by jure »

jaxtone wrote:Believe me when I say that I have been fighting this scene for two weeks without getting any further because everytime I change settings in Kray new trouble occures!

At this stage I am very close to totally give up on Kray, not becuase it should be bad in any way but just because I am no fan of to much technical "mumbo jumbo". I just wanted to get a fast preview of a rendered scene because I didn´t think that Lightwave could manage doing this the way I wanted. But to me it´s not reasonable that I first need a knowlegde that is so deep that I risk loosing my deadline.

So tell me this!

Is Kray only workable if you first learn all technical information in the white papers of it?
(I just want an easy setup for render some screen shots from different angles where the GI in Kray is at it´s best.)
Not at all. If you don't want to learn then just use predefined presets. But this way you will never be able to unleash the full potential of Kray.
jaxtone wrote: What I would like to see is pedagogical instruction videos or just tutorial videos that guide me from point A to B, is there anything like it?
Yes we are preparing video tutorials but they are not available yet.
- Jure
jure

Post by jure »

I have noticed in your screenshot "Right Amb" light. What is that there for? To me it looks like you are trying to setup your scene like you would for Lighwave with no GI. This is completely wrong. For rendering with Kray you must forget about faking global illumination with lights and think about how light works in real life and let Kray do the rest of the work.
- Jure
florian

Post by florian »

Hi Jaxtone,
please provide some more info on you scene so we can help you.

Something like:
Kray settings
LW settings from Render Globals
Polycount
Lights
Kray instancing

Or post the scene.
Otherwise it will be very hard if not impossible to help you.

Have you tried to use one of Krays preset settings for your scene?

Cheers, Florian
jaxtone

Post by jaxtone »

... this time will hopefully come in the future! But at this moment I don´t wanna start with weeks in an intensive "white paper reading session" to reach your level. I just need a fast setup to render out something that´s better than LW´s native render engine. (Unfortunally Kray haven´t convinced me yet, and that´s most probably a combination of Kray´s extremely advanced setup and my lack of knowledge.)
jure wrote:If you don't want to learn then just use predefined presets. But this way you will never be able to unleash the full potential of Kray.

I haven´t got a clue... but if I may I would gladely send you the scene. At this stage of failures It would be am advantage to see what Kray are supposed to do, not what I have tried to accomplished without any result at all.
jure wrote:I have noticed in your screenshot "Right Amb" light. What is that there for? To me it looks like you are trying to setup your scene like you would for Lighwave with no GI. This is completely wrong. For rendering with Kray you must forget about faking global illumination with lights and think about how light works in real life and let Kray do the rest of the work.
jaxtone

Post by jaxtone »

I have compressed the scene but its 29 mb and I do not know how I can send it to you at this forum?
Florian wrote:Hi Jaxtone,
please provide some more info on you scene so we can help you.

Something like:
Kray settings
LW settings from Render Globals
Polycount
Lights
Kray instancing

Or post the scene.
Otherwise it will be very hard if not impossible to help you.

Have you tried to use one of Krays preset settings for your scene?

Cheers, Florian
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

and in case of emergency join the skype public chat for possible interactive help
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

jaxtone wrote:I have compressed the scene but its 29 mb and I do not know how I can send it to you at this forum?
can you put it on your webspace or dropbox and provide a link here? Or send it through Skype (if you use that).
mattgorner

Post by mattgorner »

jaxtone wrote:What I would like to see is pedagogical instruction videos or just tutorial videos that guide me from point A to B, is there anything like it?
I'm going to be doing a basic one tonight hopefully!
matt gorner

Post by matt gorner »

Hmmmmmm, interesting. Just loaded the interior test scene I've been doing on my home machine (Windows 7 64 Bit) on my work machine (Windows XP 32 Bit).

And it's taking AGES. This scene takes 3-4 mins at home, yet it's been going longer than that and apparently will take around 47 minutes!

Something is amiss here.
Attachments
Odd.png
matt gorner

Post by matt gorner »

Just completely removed Kray, saved the scene, reloaded, added Kray (and other plugins) and punched in all the same settings, and now it's back.

How odd.
fabian-pok

Post by fabian-pok »

Hey,

I have the same problem and since I have no time to waste I downgraded to build 4. Problems solved.

Greetzzzz,

Fabian
mattgorner

Post by mattgorner »

Are you guys using Physical Sky on the scenes you're having issues with?

I just found a nasty bug in it, it's losing any decimals on Turbidity / Exposure on save and reload. I've fixed the script and sent it back to the dev team. I wonder if there are other settings that might have this 'displayed as real numbers in the UI, loaded from scene file as Integers' bug.

On noticeable when you have numbers with decimal points in them.

I'm off to check!

Edit: Yep, a few others in the PhySky plugin needed sorting. The other plugins seem to be okay.