WIP - Interior Test ...

Please post finished works here.
mattgorner

WIP - Interior Test ...

Post by mattgorner »

This is just a test (so it's no where near finished) exploring Kray's many settings and the linear workflow / tone mapping options.

I feel like I'm starting to get somewhere with render speed vs quality (not Jonhy Quick quality clearly, but not bad for me!) :D

I'm going to do a quick video to show the tone mapping options, including the Tonemap Blending plugin. I was thinking of going into the render settings a little, but I don't feel qualified enough, but it could help those who have no idea where to start, as like many new users, I have found it hard to find more in depth tutorials, although there are many posts that simply say "change X to Y", "increase Z" etc. but we need more tutorials that explain why doing 'X' helps with quality or speed.

Cheers
Matt
Attachments
Interior_Test.png
mattgorner

Re: WIP - Interior Test ...

Post by mattgorner »

A few more GI tweaks, render time down by over a minute, although not as nice as the last test.
Attachments
Interior_Test2.png
khan973_forum

Post by khan973_forum »

Not bad! but your images doesn't have enough contrast, and maybe photons?
Have you increased the physy sky's power?
Have you put an area behind the window with power multiplier and a fe more photons?

You have a wide window, so much more light should get in
mattgorner

Post by mattgorner »

khan973 wrote:Not bad! but your images doesn't have enough contrast, and maybe photons?
Have you increased the physy sky's power?
Have you put an area behind the window with power multiplier and a fe more photons?

You have a wide window, so much more light should get in
The lighting isn't done yet! ;)

Those renders above have only Physical Sky and an area fill light in the interior.

Whilst messing about, I played with the sun strength, but it blew out the light coming from the window, so it's been left at the default settings.

Photons in those are currently at 500,000, and could be increased.

At the moment there is no light in the window, other than what's coming in from the sun.
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

The sunlight looks ok but the sky is like an evening sky, increase it 2-4 times more.
mattgorner

Post by mattgorner »

Silverlw wrote:The sunlight looks ok but the sky is like an evening sky, increase it 2-4 times more.
I agree. The sky ain't right yet. Currently it's at 3pm in the afternoon in the summer, but it looks too rich for me.

BTW: Anyone else find the Turbity setting VERY sensitive? Lower values are meant to give a bluer, clearer sky, where larger values more polluted and yellow. The default is 2, which I find too saturated, anything 1.6 and below gives me an almost black sky, 1.7 is pretty much white, whereas 1.72 is better.

It's either a really senstive setting, or something is up with it. Anyone know what the range of the setting is?

I'm wondering whether a 'non-physical' sky control to de-saturate it might be useful, like SunSky has for LightWave.
jure

Post by jure »

MattGorner wrote:
Silverlw wrote:The sunlight looks ok but the sky is like an evening sky, increase it 2-4 times more.
I agree. The sky ain't right yet. Currently it's at 3pm in the afternoon in the summer, but it looks too rich for me.

BTW: Anyone else find the Turbity setting VERY sensitive? Lower values are meant to give a bluer, clearer sky, where larger values more polluted and yellow. The default is 2, which I find too saturated, anything 1.6 and below gives me an almost black sky, 1.7 is pretty much white, whereas 1.72 is better.

It's either a really senstive setting, or something is up with it. Anyone know what the range of the setting is?

I'm wondering whether a 'non-physical' sky control to de-saturate it might be useful, like SunSky has for LightWave.
Useful settings are 2-8 I think.
- Jure
mattgorner

Post by mattgorner »

Latest WIP test ...

Added a window light, it's currently behind the glass, wondering whether it's better practice to have it inside like I've read on the forum.

Has some minor splotches that can easily be fixed. Straight Kray render, no post adjustment.
Attachments
Interior_Test3.png
jure

Post by jure »

MattGorner wrote:Latest WIP test ...

Added a window light, it's currently behind the glass, wondering whether it's better practice to have it inside like I've read on the forum.

Has some minor splotches that can easily be fixed.
You can put it inside or outside, it doesn't make much difference. However if you put it inside make sure that there are no objects real close to it cause you may get artifacts (noise, splotches).
- Jure
khan973_forum

Post by khan973_forum »

Much better!
I've gotten better results with Area outside (50cm - 1m) and slightly smaller than the windows size.
khan973_forum

Post by khan973_forum »

How did you do the chromatic aberration effect?
matt gorner

Post by matt gorner »

khan973 wrote:How did you do the chromatic aberration effect?
It's the wonderful post process filter in Kray (http://www.kraytracing.com/wiki/Advance ... ostprocess)

I used:
postprocess ca,0.02,1,1.5,100

postprocess ca,0.02,1,1.5,100 = Strength, how much aberration is visible

postprocess ca,0.02,1,1.5,100 = Pixel Aspect Ratio

postprocess ca,0.02,1,1.5,100 = Distance Influence, how much the aberration strength is increased as it goes out from the centre of the image

postprocess ca,0.02,1,1.5,100 = Samples, how many samples to use to control quality (less = faster, more = better quality)

You can also do it post process in Photoshop CS2 and up using the 'Filter > Distort > Lens Correction' filter, but the one in Kray looks much better IMO.
khan973_forum

Post by khan973_forum »

Thanks, I was doing it in Photoshop, usually, I try to keep my render out from too many effects, but its good to have this option right in Kray
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

khan973 wrote:Thanks, I was doing it in Photoshop, usually, I try to keep my render out from too many effects, but its good to have this option right in Kray
IMHO this option is very good. no matter from Kray or from PS. give more realistic if You can use it.