Exterior: Tower

Please post finished works here.
florian

Exterior: Tower

Post by florian »

Hi there,
just some little fun project for my protfolio.
Rendered with Kray. Around 2.5 minutes per frame.

Animation (QT H.264) (I need to change the end so the cameramove comes to a smooth stop).

C&C welcome!

Cheers, Florian
jure

Re: Exterior: Tower

Post by jure »

Beautiful!
- Jure
theshape

Post by theshape »

Yes, fantastic, very natural - congrats :) !! It's so clear, did You do any post on this ?
ethyline fumes - a smell of the iron angels :twisted:
florian

Post by florian »

theshape wrote:Yes, fantastic, very natural - congrats :) !! It's so clear, did You do any post on this ?
Thanks. I did some post on it: some glow, vignetting and motionblur.

Cheers, Florian
nico

Post by nico »

hi florian, very compliment for your work. :shock:
it's very realistic
simply model but realistic surface.
the window glass is perfect one side surface or cube with airpolygons? can you post the parameter?
florian

Post by florian »

nico wrote:hi florian, very compliment for your work. :shock:
it's very realistic
simply model but realistic surface.
the window glass is perfect one side surface or cube with airpolygons? can you post the parameter?
Hi,
thanks for your kind words. I used a single sided glas here but the surface works with both. I don't think Kray needs airpolys.
The glas surface is rather simple:

Diffuse 0%

Reflection: Gradient on incidence
0: 94%
30: 25%
90: 15%

Transparency: Gradient on incidence
0: 10%
30: 60%
90: 85%

Cheers, Florian
nico

Post by nico »

thank you...i set my glass so!!! :D
nico

Post by nico »

excuse me but when the camera is front the glass this is not realistic why?
when is tangent the glass is perfect!!! :oops:
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

2.5 minutes per frame on that size resolution...you're killing me! I don't understand Kray well enough then to get renders down that well. Would you mind describing your settings a bit? Great job Florian.
Larry V

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is
the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.
florian

Post by florian »

Larry_g1s wrote:2.5 minutes per frame on that size resolution...you're killing me! I don't understand Kray well enough then to get renders down that well. Would you mind describing your settings a bit? Great job Florian.
Hi Larry,
I used cached LM with 1.5 million photons, N 1500, prechache distance 50% and blur 200%.
FG was 0.0001, 400 - 2000, spacial tol. 0.1, B/D 300, Blur 2 and Path 1 with 25%
AA Grid 3, Mitchell, Edge Absolut 1, relative 0.05, Upsample 1
Quality: blurring threshold 0.0001 Ray 100-1024

Lighting is a spotlight for a sun with a power multiplier of 2 and sunsky for the backdrop.
The Scene has araound 600K polys.
Thats about it. I rendered the cache first and then send it to the farm. 2.5 minutes is on an 8 Core machine.

Cheers, Florian
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

Thanks Florian. How did you cache the first. I don't understand KRAY's caching as with LW's. WIth LW's you set up the file then hit bake radiostiy, which then makes the file. But with Kray it doesn't work like that, so I'm a bit more confused on how to properly bake/cache the radiosty. Are you using BNR to network render Kray scenes on a farm?
Larry V

jure

Post by jure »

Larry_g1s wrote:Thanks Florian. How did you cache the first. I don't understand KRAY's caching as with LW's. WIth LW's you set up the file then hit bake radiostiy, which then makes the file. But with Kray it doesn't work like that, so I'm a bit more confused on how to properly bake/cache the radiosty. Are you using BNR to network render Kray scenes on a farm?
There are two ways to use shared GI file. The simplest way is the one where you just choose "update" for shared GI mode. In this mode Kray will add missing samples to the shared GI file after each frame is completed and so will gradualy build GI solution along the lenght of the animation.

The second way can be sometimes faster because you can use it with network rendering. It consists of two steps. First step is to calculate GI for every n-th frame in shared gi mode "update". What you will choose for frame step n depends on the scene and how fast the camera is movin. If camera is fast you will need lower frame step, if camera is slow you can use higher since most of the samples are already computed in previous frame... For this step you can turn off AA and also reduce refl/refraction blurring rays to minimum since they don't contribute much to GI. You should render this on single computer because this assures consistent GI solution between frames.
Second step is rendering final animation. For this step you can leave shared GI mode at "update" or choose "load". Both should work fine. Turn up the antialiasing and reflection blurring rays as much as you need for good quality. You can render this step across the network computers. The good thing about this method is also that you can try various AA or blur rays settings without having to recalculate GI. You can also tweak your textures and materials to some degree (untill it affects GI too much). You shouldn't change your lights though.
- Jure
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

Thanks Jure. The 2nd method is the way Erwin had mentioned to me, I was just looking to see if there was another way. I think I like the second one the best, thanks again.
Larry V

florian

Post by florian »

I used the 2nd method and rendered with BNR.

Cheers, Florian
3dworks

Post by 3dworks »

hey florian, nice animation, short, pregnant and up to the point!!!
btw. this tower will be a safe place in case of bigger earthquakes ;)

where do i put the shared GI file exactly if rendering with BNR?

cheers

markus