First tests of skyportals.

General disscusion about Kray
walfridson

Post by walfridson »

Better looking and faster rendertimes, pretty sweet :)
skype walfridson
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

my next tests. Renders are faster - quality is much better.
Attachments
Hotel_room00000.jpg
Hotel_room00000.jpg (16.78 KiB) Viewed 7163 times
Hotel_room_Skyportal.jpg
Hotel_room_Skyportal.jpg (128.58 KiB) Viewed 7261 times
mlon

Post by mlon »

nice looking lighting and shading, natural.
the room image is pretty sweet except for some aa probs.

mlon
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

Johny_quick wrote:my next tests. Renders are faster - quality is much better.
Better results and quicker render times...that's fantastic! P.s. JQ I like how you can see the pattern on the sheets in the Hotel_room00000.jpg image, very nicely done.
Larry V

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is
the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.
except

Post by except »

What is the advantage of using phton maps to light maps, that don't need light portals?

I know it might be advantageous for animations since it doesn't need to be recalculted for out-of-frame areas, but other than that?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Juggernaut wrote:
Johny_quick wrote:my next tests. Renders are faster - quality is much better.
Better results and quicker render times...that's fantastic! P.s. JQ I like how you can see the pattern on the sheets in the Hotel_room00000.jpg image, very nicely done.
This is no special, only fallow gradient color + very high bump.....
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

except wrote:What is the advantage of using phton maps to light maps, that don't need light portals?

I know it might be advantageous for animations since it doesn't need to be recalculted for out-of-frame areas, but other than that?
less noisy irradiance cache, so you need less FG rays and blurring and less high N to counter that noise.
I think they both have their advantage and disadvantages in specific cases. I use PM for HDR lit scenes (maybe you remember that modo 8 spheres scene and my entry in the cgtalk modo Boxy202 challenge) and I also use it on lumilight only scenes. With skyportals daylight interiors can be added to the mix.
intuition

Post by intuition »

Cool, my little GiBox is still getting some good tests.

BTW, I must say that the caustic from the skyportal only is impressive to say the least.

Oh when can we have micropoly displacements?

So is this downloadable now for registered users or is ot coming out soon?
savinoff

Post by savinoff »

I was wondering, is there a difference, speed or quality wise, between the skyportals and having luminous polygons in the windows? As I understand where the skyportal guides photons from BG into particular windows so nothing is wasted on the outside, the lum polies are shooting photos from correct places to start with so nothing should be wasted either. I understand that it's probably easier to setup (just one shaders on the windows instead of additional geo) plus you can have textured BG etc.. But other than that, is there any speed and/or quality benefits from using skyportals in the interior windows situation?
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

It's true you dont waste photons if you add luminous polys in windows or arealights but an area/luminous poly will just cast the same kind ow light in all directions which will look very artificial. Since light have inverse square falloff the area closest to those "lamps" will be burnt out. With a skyportal the bluish sky should go down to the floor and the green grass lit by sun will cast green light at the ceiling for example. Ofcourse a god artist can make very god aproximations and fake it anyways but adding a skyportal is easier.
ana028

Post by ana028 »

Silver, Is planned yet the day of the next beta release ??? :wink:
I want to test.... :oops:
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

Intuition wrote:Cool, my little GiBox is still getting some good tests.

BTW, I must say that the caustic from the skyportal only is impressive to say the least.

Oh when can we have micropoly displacements?

So is this downloadable now for registered users or is ot coming out soon?
Hi Intuition, yes I did load your scene the moment I got skyportal beta ;)

At the moment we are testing portals heavily on several scenes and as soon as we determined that it has no serious flaws it can go open beta I guess. It is how it worked all the time.

btw I want micropoly displacements too ;)
Attachments
IB67causticsSunsky2.png
IB67causticsSunsky2.png (204.82 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
ana028

Post by ana028 »

Hi, any news about the next release, when I saw these tests I thought that the release was nearly.
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

G is now continuing work on nodes so maybe after that we will see another update.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Silverlw wrote:G is now continuing work on nodes so maybe after that we will see another update.
Yes .
People need skyportals ... and tutorials for this (btw. skyportals are very easy :) )