Kray output multilayer exr?

General disscusion about Kray
intuition

Kray output multilayer exr?

Post by intuition »

I was trying to get Kray set up for use in a production pipeline. One of the main things I need it to do is be ablet to write out different passes to an exr file.

Also, I would like Kray to have a similar feature to Vray in that I can use the framebuffer to view the image in 2.2 gamma space but write out the exr in 1.0 space so it opens correctly in nuke.

8)

Any help or thoughts appreciated. :)

KC
florian

Re: Kray output multilayer exr?

Post by florian »

Hi KC,
layers are currently beeing worked on but I don't think we will see multilayer EXRs in kray 2.0. But maybe you can somehow automate the process of assembling one EXR from multiple HDR files.
See also:
http://www.kraytracing.com/wiki/Kray_pl ... ay_Buffers

As for viewing images with the correct gamma:
Kray can now send F9 renders to the LW imageviewer. This is done when no output file is specified in the Kray GUI. If you set up an outputfile first and choose any 8 Bit format and then delte the path, Kray will tonemap the image before sending it to the image viewer. When saving a HDR, Kray always uses a gamma of 1.
See also:
http://www.kraytracing.com/wiki/Kray_pl ... low_plugin

Cheers, Florian
jure

Post by jure »

Intuition wrote:
Also, I would like Kray to have a similar feature to Vray in that I can use the framebuffer to view the image in 2.2 gamma space but write out the exr in 1.0 space so it opens correctly in nuke.
Sorry but layered exr won't make it into 2.0 final like Florian said. In future all is possible though.

As to your second question - kray already does that. It will display gamma 2.2 in frame buffer but save it out as 1.0...
- Jure
intuition

Post by intuition »

Do you know if open EXR by Michael Wolf would work with Kray as a way to get the buffers out?

:shock: 8)
jure

Post by jure »

Intuition wrote:Do you know if open EXR by Michael Wolf would work with Kray as a way to get the buffers out?

:shock: 8)
Hmm no I don't think so.
- Jure
intuition

Post by intuition »

I meant exr Trader of course. I went over to his forum and asked him if he thought it could be made to do so. I realize you guys would have to put somthing there (coded) for him to grab out of Kray first but wanted to see what his take on setting it up would be.
florian

Post by florian »

Intuition wrote:I meant exr Trader of course. I went over to his forum and asked him if he thought it could be made to do so. I realize you guys would have to put somthing there (coded) for him to grab out of Kray first but wanted to see what his take on setting it up would be.
That would be very cool.

Cheers, Florian
jure

Post by jure »

Intuition wrote:I meant exr Trader of course. I went over to his forum and asked him if he thought it could be made to do so. I realize you guys would have to put somthing there (coded) for him to grab out of Kray first but wanted to see what his take on setting it up would be.
I think that would be possible yes. We will think about it after we release 2.0.
- Jure
florian

Post by florian »

Intuition wrote:I was trying to get Kray set up for use in a production pipeline. One of the main things I need it to do is be ablet to write out different passes to an exr file.
KC
Hey KC,
we where just discussing Krays buffer implementation within the beta team. Maybe you could give us some insight on what you guys would need Kray to save in the different buffers.

My idea was:
- Raw RGB as the base. Its easy to adjust colors that way because the layer contains no shading at all.
- reflection, refraction, diffuse (can be broken down into direct and indirect shading), SSS and luminance shading on top of that . comp them with ADD (easy math)
- shadow buffer (also ADD)

ObjectID, SurfaceID, SurfaceNormal, Alpha an Z-Buffer are already there.

But I am by no means a compositing pro so I might be totaly wrong about this :roll:

Cheers, Florian
jure

Post by jure »

We will be releasing RC3 tomorrow. Some new buffers are added. Please check them and provide us with info how to make them better and useful to you.
- Jure
RogerNyheim

Post by RogerNyheim »

and tomorrow is today :-)

where is it? :-)

aaargh, I need more Kray!!!! I'm addicted!!!!
jure

Post by jure »

Check again :)
- Jure
intuition

Post by intuition »

Michael Wolf --- Theoretically yes... but that would require a Kray SDK that exposes those buffers.
Unfortunatel the support for external renderers in LW 9.6 doesn't allow them to pass on buffer (I don't know if it by-passes image filters as well).

Does Kray include any nodal support to manipulate the buffers?
That was Mike's response to the possibility of getting exr trader to work with Kray.. It looks like a tricky situation in that the buffers from LW may not be passed between renderers.

I'll look at the buffers today. :) Thanks.
geo_n

Post by geo_n »

this is very old list but still useful.
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150SP1/ ... ements.htm
But I think main problem is lw itself. Its more tedious to get hold out matt pass, etc, without saving another scene file.

Forgot about janus and also shadermeister. I think those two are must have to make life easier :D
jure

Post by jure »

Has anyone tested the RC3 buffers? Did you find any bugs or have some other improvement ideas?
- Jure