Kray Demo?

General disscusion about Kray
juice

Kray Demo?

Post by juice »

... I need a Kray-Demo or maybe a dealer who can give me the opportunity to test it here in Berlin/Gerrmany somewhere... is this possible?
... I have to decide about a renderpipeline with the possiblity to render GI and good AA and it have to handle tons of textures . I need a seious test, I hope Kraytracing.com can help me :-)
juice

Post by juice »

...is Kray good for character animation renderings? I like to know how good AA and the handling with flicker-problems are? Even if Kray can handle big textures, and if there is a shader to output for 2DMotionBlurPass... actually I saw only Architectual stuff... any help?
acidarrow

Post by acidarrow »

There is no demo right now and there won't be until the release which is getting closer. At least that's the plan right now.

There are a lot of architectural stuff done with kray because arch viz really requires a lot of bounces and high quality GI which is something Kray excels at.

I haven't tried any character animation with kray so I'll let someone else reply to that, but unless there is bug related to CA (there were some a while ago) I think it should work fine.

The AA has a lot of different methods and detection settings and pixel filters. Usually people tend to use somewhat blurry pixel filters to reduce flicker without having to use very high AA settings.

The Kray buffer output doesn't output a motion vector pass yet, but you can use a LW plugin and re-render the scene with no lights/GI/textures. It's a two part process but it's doable.

About texture and memory usage, it used to have problems, but it's improving a lot in this area (at least that's my impression), but you're going to need a decent amount of ram.
juice

Post by juice »

thank you for the informations AcidArrow,
...is lightwave 9.5beta supported?
and is there a tutorial to see the workflow of the Network-Rendering?
juice

Post by juice »

... hello again, from now on I am a KrayUser :-)
just ordered my copy, hope that I dont have to wait too much on my download... I hope to get fast and great results, we are setting up a new show for a big ChildrenTV station, and maybe Kray can help us much, I hope to get many help here in this forum :-)
acidarrow

Post by acidarrow »

Lightwave 9.5 beta is generally supported, but sometimes compatibility may break if newtek changes things with a new build so kray has to be updated again.

As for network rendering, currently you need to get Virtual Render too to make it work properly... I'll let someone else more experienced with network rendering to explain the process.
juice

Post by juice »

thank you AcidArrow,

... actually I am doing first renderings with kray, I am verry impressed from the quality so far,
the only problem sometimes I see white points (pixels) in my animations on random frames...

I have heard from a new virtualRender-beta... is there a way to work with if I purchase 1.5 ?
acidarrow

Post by acidarrow »

The white/black pixels is probably a bug that is already fixed. The fix is in the next version which will be out soon.

I can't help you with the virtual render thing, hopefully someone who does will reply here soon.
acidarrow

Post by acidarrow »

Aaaand OB8 is out :) Hurrah! Please check if the black/white pixels still appear.
juice

Post by juice »

... first thing I do tomorrow at work :-)
juice

Post by juice »

..., the new beta is working great here, it seems the developer from Kray can hear what I am thinking, my next question that we was discuding here, if there is a way to use lscript with kray is done before I was able to ask here ;-)
florian

Post by florian »

Moin Juice,
greta to have another german Kray user here!
...is lightwave 9.5beta supported?
Kray does work with 9.5 but the new lights are not supported yet and most nodes don't work properly. I guess that sspecially the nodes that use a preprocess pass will be harder to implement.
If you need IES lights you can use the IES node by Denis. It works fine.
I have heard from a new virtualRender-beta... is there a way to work with if I purchase 1.5 ?
Do you already own VirtualRender? If you do it should work with kray over a newtwork. But VR is developed by another developer so you might need to ask him.
the only problem sometimes I see white points (pixels) in my animations on random frames...
It would be cool if you could check the latest OB to see if this is gone now.

And check out the

Kray Wiki for lots of tipps and tricks.

Grüße, Florian
juice

Post by juice »

... thanks for help Florian,
... the last days I did many test-renderings, just to find some settings for an upcomming work, and I am verry happy now to have Kray+Virualrender :-)