Kray not suitable for high resolution images

General disscusion about Kray
solidwave

Kray not suitable for high resolution images

Post by solidwave »

I have purchased Kray and have got to grips with it pretty well, it seems to be capable of producing very good images quickly...... at low resolution. I have spent the last few weeks producing a set of visuals for a client I was extremely pleased with the results, 4 days before the deadline I started to render them up at the resolution required to produce A4 prints and disaster struck. Every Image rendered in good time however as soon as it says "frame rendering done Antibanding" it crashes.
I read on here that adjusting the octree depth setting can help - to no avail. I also read that you can turn of antibanding by typing dither in the tailer cmd - to no avail
I also read that xp64 shouldn't do that and that I need more memory. In a panic to meet the deadline I purchased a new pc on 64bit with stacks of ram- to no avail.
Weeks of work seems to be for nothing, Kray is completly useless to me and I am furious that I have wasted so much time on it.
If anyone can ofer any help I would much appreciate it as it seem that Kray has been a complete waste of time and money and I am going to have revert back to good old fprime and extend the deasline by about a week!
erwin zwart

Re: Kray not suitable for high resolution images

Post by erwin zwart »

solidwave wrote:I have purchased Kray and have got to grips with it pretty well, it seems to be capable of producing very good images quickly...... at low resolution. I have spent the last few weeks producing a set of visuals for a client I was extremely pleased with the results, 4 days before the deadline I started to render them up at the resolution required to produce A4 prints and disaster struck. Every Image rendered in good time however as soon as it says "frame rendering done Antibanding" it crashes.
I read on here that adjusting the octree depth setting can help - to no avail. I also read that you can turn of antibanding by typing dither in the tailer cmd - to no avail
I also read that xp64 shouldn't do that and that I need more memory. In a panic to meet the deadline I purchased a new pc on 64bit with stacks of ram- to no avail.
Weeks of work seems to be for nothing, Kray is completly useless to me and I am furious that I have wasted so much time on it.
If anyone can ofer any help I would much appreciate it as it seem that Kray has been a complete waste of time and money and I am going to have revert back to good old fprime and extend the deasline by about a week!
why didn't you post earlier? I can help. When is that deadline? Your scene renders fine in kray, but not in hires, right? Virtualrender should solve that. Email me a link to scene and I render it.
solidwave

Post by solidwave »

Hi Erwin thanks for the offer, Unfortunately I have signed all sorts of confidentiality agreements on this job so I am not able to disclose anything.
I have just purchased virtual render in another desperate attempt to save the situation, it seems to work on my old slower PC however not on my new 64 bit PC. It seems crazy that this is the only way to render an image that needs to be printed at A4. Of all the priorities on Kray development this should surely be the top one.
erwin zwart

Post by erwin zwart »

solidwave wrote:Hi Erwin thanks for the offer, Unfortunately I have signed all sorts of confidentiality agreements on this job so I am not able to disclose anything.
I have just purchased virtual render in another desperate attempt to save the situation, it seems to work on my old slower PC however not on my new 64 bit PC. It seems crazy that this is the only way to render an image that needs to be printed at A4. Of all the priorities on Kray development this should surely be the top one.
Wait a minute, your scene renders fine lores pictures in kray 32bit , right?
Then virtualrender 32bit should render a hires on LW32 with kray32bit too.
All 32bit versions work fine on your new 64bit machine.
If you need kray64 on lW64 for the lores pic then you need virtualrender 64bit.
For more immediate feedback get on Skype, look for erwinzwart
Pheidian

Post by Pheidian »

One quick solution is to render it in limited region render in 3 slices (horizontally sliced). This I've done pretty much for LARGE images, of course you have to put them together in PS or similar, but that's worth it...

Tried this?
Pheidian

Post by Pheidian »

Oh one thing, antibanding crash is related to the frame aspect ratio, so your image is for example 1000x700, but if it's 1001x701 it might cause the crash, this has information on bug hunting forums also, check that too if the crashes continue...

Or did you just use 400% or similar in camera settings to up the resolution from those lowres images? If so, check previous. :)
ana028

Post by ana028 »

Hi, I make some highres test with Kray, I can tell to you that for printed images A4 (210x297)mm you can get a good print result with 4000x3000. For highers res I recommended that you used the virtual render.
solidwave

Post by solidwave »

Pheidian wrote:Oh one thing, antibanding crash is related to the frame aspect ratio, so your image is for example 1000x700, but if it's 1001x701 it might cause the crash, this has information on bug hunting forums also, check that too if the crashes continue...

Or did you just use 400% or similar in camera settings to up the resolution from those lowres images? If so, check previous. :)
frame aspect does seem to affect it as some work others don't however I cannot work out what I should use, for example 2560x 1280 worked on one scene but not on another, I tweaked the aspect on the one that did not work and bingo! but it seems that for the higher res images it crashed witout fail just after antibanding.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Do a bunch of borderless limited regions. It'll work fine.
solidwave

Post by solidwave »

I have tried rendering limited regions and it crashes everytime no mater how small, straight after antibanding as usual
NiGMa

Post by NiGMa »

I render 3600x2160 for A4 on kray for the last year, it works good except on some heavy scenes it crashes on our 32bit machines, i have no problem on my 4gb win64 kray 32bit pc rendering any of those same scenes at that size. =)
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Did you do BORDERLESS limited region? Because if it crashes anyway, it's not related to the resolution.
darickster

Post by darickster »

wasnt this the bug that had the all pixels even solution? make sure your output res is even and it wont crash (at least that what worked here when this happens).

cheers
solidwave

Post by solidwave »

I generally use the mulptiplier on my image resolutions therefore I test at say 1280x 1024 and then my final images are at 400% therefore 5120x4096, so I don't ever have odd numbers in my resolution settings.

Interestingly my 32bit just crashes out of lightwave after antibanding - memory is never near the limit I have 3gb switch set and usually memeory is running at about 1.8 - 2.2Gb

On my 64bit system I get unhandled exception after antibanding. I assume it is the same problem but one causes a crash and the other an error message.

Regarding borderless Limited region, I am only aware of the one setting for limited regions and that is in the menu below render globals, is there another way of doing it?
except

Post by except »

solidwave wrote:Regarding borderless Limited region, I am only aware of the one setting for limited regions and that is in the menu below render globals, is there another way of doing it?
In that setting you have a choice between two types, border and borderless. It will revert to border when you click on the limited region tool (and jump to borderless when you click on it again). check you have it set for borderless.