Texture Baking Help

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
Marky

Texture Baking Help

Post by Marky »

Hey people, I have just bought Kray and am enjoying it so far. I am mainly using it for mapping shadow maps etc into a real time engine so baking is very useful for me as well as the quick renders.

I am having a problem in creating accurate radiosity bakes and was wondering if there is a way. Instead of trying to explain what I am looking for I will explain the only way I know how and why its not working to see if that makes sense.

Becuase I am creating a shadow map (say 1024x1024) to go in a 2nd texture layer in lightwave "multiplied" over then I cannot bake actual colour mapped render as my texure is below it. If I bake the render with just rough default colour settings (ie from the actual image) then I do get a nice accurate render however once that map is "mulitplied" over the original colour it is somewhat darker than what it should be. My workaround so far is to bake the shadow/lightmaps to a default setting of a grey colour (which will still keep the light colour and sky colour) and then it can be put in a 2nd layer nicely and it looks good but not accurate. The reason is because say originally my floor was red then u would have light bouncing off the walls with a slight red tint, however if change the model to grey then I loose that effect hence not accurate,

Is there a way in kray or anyway at all that can achieve this result?

Thanks for any help

M
jure

Post by jure »

Sorry, but I don't realy understand what you mean even after reading it for the 3rd time. Could you post example renders?
- Jure
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

Welcome and nice to have you onboard Marky!
I have also read it a couple of times ;)
Are you saying that the multiply function isnt working properly, that there is a bug in the way it calculates and therefore get's to dark?
OR
Is the multiplied surface cancelling Sunlight and skylight?
/Silver
Marky

Post by Marky »

Had a look at it a wee bit more. It seems I overlooked surface flags 1; :D

I am still messing about alot so will see if I can fix it with the layer effects in lightwave before I post any more :D