double sided problems

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
mcvltd

double sided problems

Post by mcvltd »

Just been having a go with kray free and after reading the manual I was getting some really good results on a quick test scene that I knocked up in lightwave :D . So I deceided to try it out on one of my past projects (which was modelled in rhino - so loads of polys and normals all over the place). Unfortunately kray wasn't seeing any of my double sided materials, even with the 'double sided' tag checked. Is there any way around this, or do I have to be more carefull with my normals?
mcvltd

Post by mcvltd »

ooh, just noticed that I've got kray 1.041 not 1.612 - can I get my hands on kray 1.612 to test?
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

You can download latest Kray demo from Kraytracing.com. It is 1.612 and you can controll version number in the renderwindow. About the doublesided tag, Kray will not understand that. You can't controll doublesided flag per surface but you can instead add cam_singleside 0; in kray's tailer wich will make all polygons doublesided. the best though would be to flip all polys in correct way.
mcvltd

Post by mcvltd »

Thanks Silverlw, I'll take a closer look at the render window options. :D

Can you explain the 'cam_singleside 0; in kray's tailer' a little more please. I'm not familiar with this at all.
jure

Post by jure »

Enter cam_singleside 0; at the bottom of the misc tab in kray panel.
But as Silver allready said, it's best that you flip polys...

- Jure
mcvltd

Post by mcvltd »

Thanks Jure, all is clear now. I'll try double sided first, then I'll sort out all the normals and do a comparison. :D
ingo

Post by ingo »

The easiest way is to make the polys doublesided in modeller for that special object with the "weird" normals.
jure

Post by jure »

ingo wrote:The easiest way is to make the polys doublesided in modeller for that special object with the "weird" normals.
Yes, but this might lead to rendering errors sometimes, so try to avoid having two polygons one over another.
- Jure