hand-made network render for anim?

General disscusion about Kray
_mats_

hand-made network render for anim?

Post by _mats_ »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is a way that one can use more than 1 computer to render animations in Kray, I know network render is not supported yet though

I am thinking of a way where one CPU renders even frames and other CPU renders odd frames while reading from the same shared GI file?

I tried it and it didnt work for me, any ideas?

Matt -
jure

Post by jure »

What you need to do is render every N-th frame (for example every 10th frame) of animation on single computer in "BOTH" GI mode. You don't need AA for this step since you won't be rendering final animation yet. This way you'll get GI file with all data needed.
You then send this file to all your computers and start a render on each of them assigning separate frame range. Use "Load" mode and choose saved GI file and add antialiasing. This way you'll get quick renders since all GI data is already saved.
- Jure
RogerNyheim

Post by RogerNyheim »

jure wrote:What you need to do is render every N-th frame (for example every 10th frame) of animation on single computer in "BOTH" GI mode. You don't need AA for this step since you won't be rendering final animation yet. This way you'll get GI file with all data needed.
You then send this file to all your computers and start a render on each of them assigning separate frame range. Use "Load" mode and choose saved GI file and add antialiasing. This way you'll get quick renders since all GI data is already saved.
but U prob. need more than one LW license to get this thing working?, we have only 2, if I need 4 LW licenses to render mys scenes I rather buy 8 computers and put them into my farm....
florian

Post by florian »

RogerNyheim wrote:
jure wrote:What you need to do is render every N-th frame (for example every 10th frame) of animation on single computer in "BOTH" GI mode. You don't need AA for this step since you won't be rendering final animation yet. This way you'll get GI file with all data needed.
but U prob. need more than one LW license to get this thing working?, we have only 2, if I need 4 LW licenses to render mys scenes I rather buy 8 computers and put them into my farm....
Once you started layout you can unplug the dongle and take it to another computer so you really only need one licence.

Florian
pixym

Post by pixym »

Jure,

Is "N" the number of computers that will be used for the final rendering?
Eddy MARILLAT
PIXYM
jure

Post by jure »

No, what I mean with "N" is arbitrary step number. This number will be high if your camera is moving slow (because camera moves very little) or high if camera moves around quickly.
- Jure
pixym

Post by pixym »

Thx for the fast reply Jure ;-)
Eddy MARILLAT
PIXYM
NiGMa

Post by NiGMa »

Florian wrote: Once you started layout you can unplug the dongle and take it to another computer so you really only need one licence.

Florian
Anyone know if this is ok by the license agreement?
jure

Post by jure »

NiGMa wrote:
Florian wrote: Once you started layout you can unplug the dongle and take it to another computer so you really only need one licence.

Florian
Is it okay that they still haven't updated screamernet for use with 3rd party plugins? ;)
- Jure
florian

Post by florian »

NiGMa wrote:

Florian
I guess its OK if you use this trick to render on other machines and not to let 10 people work off one dongle.

BTW: how is the Kray rendering license for 8(?) computers enforced?

Florian