Feature film with kray

Please post finished works here.
Fabian-Eshloraque

Feature film with kray

Post by Fabian-Eshloraque »

Hi Kray people,

We just did a feature film for kids with Kray. All the set extensions and some animated parts were all done with Kray.

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-zeG6je2Oo

You can see the set extensions from 1:14. there are another 12 vfx shots in this trailer, bluekey removals, microphone removals, flat matte paints, added flags, cleanups, etc. I will try to post a VFX breakdown soon.

Best!

Fabian
thomas

Re: Feature film with kray

Post by thomas »

Hey Fabian,

Excellent work! Can't wait to see that VFX breakdown. And cool to see some Belgian studio work done with Kray, and not the boring ubiquitous MAX + Vray.
Fabian-Eshloraque

Hi Thomas,

Belgium used to be all Lightwave, but it changed to Maya. All the old Lightwave guys from years ago are now more into supervising, directing etc. Young artists are into maya, but with openEXR, alembic and others, its very easy to use whatever software in your pipeline. I just find lightwave/kray easy to work with. (quote Janusz...)

We use other render software in the studio, like Arnold - Renderman - Vray. We always choose the render engine depending on these parameters:

1. Massive outside stuff, only specular shit: Arnold
2. Fur, animation, look based style: Renderman (Reyes)
3. Cars/metallic shots, team of junior artists: Vray
4. Thight budget - deadline, architectural scenes: Kray

For us it would be great if Kray would be in Maya. Nothing against newtek - but its all tricaster now. Better team-up with BlackMagicDesign is my opinion. Sadly...

Grtz
artattak

Post by artattak »

WOW !!
Fabian-Eshloraque

Here's the breakdown of some shots.

https://vimeo.com/147127933

Little extra information: shooting was on arri (colorspace arri log c) compositing in fusion, tracking in syntheyes.

I did a small baking of the shots and then dropped them on the farm with path tracing on. Rendertimes were between 12 minutes until 1 hour a frame depending on how many geometry that was in the shot.

Have a nice weekend!
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

...and this is proof: to make something extra you do not need very expensive software because everything is about post processing in Fusion or After Effects and very good skill.
I like rendering and post processing but reason why I do not concentrate with both is: specialization. If you want be good in something you must choose one and keep it until you become professional. After that moment you must work much stronger because today being professional is not enough...
Good job!