lights only specular

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
Fabian-Eshloraque

lights only specular

Post by Fabian-Eshloraque »

Hi,

Our lighting artist ran into an issue with lights and kray. She want to add specular only to buildings - so "affect diffuse" in light properties OFF. (I know not to use specular, but we just use it on some shaders to give the last missing lighting on edges)
affectdiffuse_off.jpg
affectdiffuse_off.jpg (61.87 KiB) Viewed 4460 times
Gives her a nice specular effect in native lightwave render.
specular_LW.jpg
But with kray render it does not recognise the affect diffuse off setting and renders also lighted diffuse.
specular_Kray.jpg
Any settings or tips on this matter?

Grtzz,

Fabian
Janusz Biela

Re: lights only specular

Post by Janusz Biela »

The flags which you select doesn`t work in K2.
Fabian-Eshloraque

So maybe next version then...? No big fan of specular stuff, but it's what the lighters use to fake extra light coming from the sides.

Thx for the answer,

Fabian
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Fabian-Eshloraque wrote:So maybe next version then...? No big fan of specular stuff, but it's what the lighters use to fake extra light coming from the sides.

Thx for the answer,

Fabian
I think better will be add this like buffer but will ask G. ...this is just matter of few line codes to do that and support it from LW. Anyway G. told me, sometimes is no SDK or limited informations about some LW functions so he can not support them fully in Kray or he must guess or making special code to simulate.
Fabian-Eshloraque

The compers use the direct and indirect to simulate the effect. I understand your concerns about LW. Thats a bit the downside of making an external renderengine. (I see it also with Arnold, Octane, Maya, etc) I checked with our compers and they like the idea of having it as a pass. Gives them some more options to finish an image.

The only downside I anticipate is that there will be a difference between lightwave VPR and kray VPR in the future. We always match kray renders with the VPR to let the lighters on the shot do their work.

But anayway:

Here's the ASCI of the scene, might be interesting to get it from there: (downside is you have to save everytime you change the setting before kray could capture it)

Diffuse on: no text added in asci of scene
Diffuse off: "AffectDiffuse 0" added to asci of scene

Grtz
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

The meaning of Kray VPR is to be completely disconnected from LW VPR in pipe line use. It means everything you will do by Kray VPR. This is almost complete now (only details are left)...so in futer using Kray you can forget LW VPR.

Buffers are better choice then support features in some cases.
Fabian-Eshloraque

Cool, makes sense. Same pipeline like we do in maya with arnold and vray.