Question about AA for animation

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
Fabian-Eshloraque

Question about AA for animation

Post by Fabian-Eshloraque »

Hi Guys,

I'm rendering an animation on 1920 on 850 of a shop interior. I'm rendering now at all settings medium, but FG 200 to 2000 (2 pass for baking, 1 pass for rendering) with AA set to high settings FSAA (4)

It renders great, no noise or AA issue's (except in the distand very fine detail, but we gonna clean that up in comp) I only use Inv distance 1 + refl blur is set to steps of 4 - 8 - 16 - 32 etc so I have NO noise (I saw that on several posts) My scene has about 40 lights, glas windows, refracted blurred windows, mirrors, transparant curtains, transparant clothes, the full deal. (so Visible area lights is enabled, exports are done in RGBA openEXR by "also output to lw" and I use all the buffer passes exported by HDRI from kray)

Small note about the HDRI/openEXr discussion, cause I saw several posts about it: An openEXR is in fact a layered HDRI image system. (as explained on the openEXR webpage form ILM) So no difference between HDRI and openEXR EXCEPT that the openEXR contains metadata for compositing software to detect the tonemapping. (thus why a HDRI sequence in afterFX needs to be tonemapped by the exposure function) You can even export camera position data in the openEXR matrix and let fusion/nuke use that data. (maybe good for kray 3 to support this in the future)

My render times are about 2 hours/frame on the renderfarm/workstation. (no caustics... next time maybe)

But does anybody nows good settings for AA, cause the FSAA is great but renders too long? Just keep in mind that it is for animation sequences...

Grtz,

Fabian
Janusz Biela

Re: Question about AA for animation

Post by Janusz Biela »

Please send me this scene is if possible: janusz.biela@gmail.com via http://www.wetransfer.com

The time render is far away from this what should be.
http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum ... =viewtopic here is scene which is really heavy (glass, blur, reflection) and it is quite fast.

Anyway FG 2000 is killing setting because raising up FG you raise up time of everything! ...AA, blur, FG...all this parts will be long.
For animation of course the best format is LDR because rest you will do in post process - important is just to keep good balance in RAW render: good AA, light, blur. Doing animation with HDR or EXR (almost the same) is quite crazy mission.
Fabian-Eshloraque

Re: Question about AA for animation

Post by Fabian-Eshloraque »

Sending to you.

Grtz,

Fabian