KRAY 2.56 is out

General disscusion about Kray
mdharrington

Re: KRAY 2.56 is out

Post by mdharrington »

Janusz Biela wrote:I say that because still I do not see good renders from this software in Lightwave. Images of balls and boxes in HDRi environment are not scenes to show something. Still I wait for really good interiors and exteriors. I have doubts also about popularity of this software. Please remember this is Path Tracing engine render which need really power. Also in Octane are a lot of trick which avoid real global illumination: for example limited bounce light for Path Tracing, OCC, Direct Light GI only, etc.
There are really good renders from Octan (still I talk about normal scenes - not basic HDRi studio scene where engine has almost nothing to calculate) but most of them looks artificially because of these limits. Of course you can turn ON full Path Tracing in Octane with full bounce light (to get really good global Illumination) but I have doubt is any GFX card which can render it fast :wink:

My personal opinion (no offence please) Instead of buying two expensive GFX card and warming room from them + paying huge electric bill, better is update hardware with Dual Xeon and still use LW or Kray engine having no limits with memory and keep fast pipeline.
I agree, I have not seen a lot of great renders out of octane yet.
I think most of it relates to the skill of the users...perhaps not up to your level quite :D

The only thing I was referencing was the speed of development compared to kray...version 3 was rumored to come out for lightwave last year...we are almost 6 months into 2014...been hearing about kray 3 for almost 2 years. Octane is developing fast (had a slow start) version 2 should be out in a month or 2.

Pretty soon CUDA renders will have no memory limits as Nvidia is developing a shared memory structure as well.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Thanks for info.
K3 coding going according to the plan (I got info). Please consider that to connect render engine with Lightwave is really challenge. Of course we can give up right now K3 plugin and use K3 standalone (which was ready many months ago , almost immediately) but you are willing to give up subpatches, LW instances, Nodes, animation system? K2 and K3 are Render Engines which ale complete Lightwave. You do not need any export (Maxwell) or Limits (Octane) You have almost 100% compatibility - and this mean: pipeline speed. Kray is ONLY one render Engine fully supported all features from Lightwave 3D (almost 100%) and I have doubts it will be another one. In next years will appear many render engines for Lightwave but Kray always will be elite because will support fully all features from LW :wink:
jnom

Post by jnom »

mdharrington wrote: I agree, I have not seen a lot of great renders out of octane yet.
How about this
http://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/2012/01 ... e-corners/

Its old version octane renderer but its good renders. Ofcourse Bertrand Benoit is known in vray circles but there's many Bertrand Benoit at Evermotion. If they become octane users, which has more than 100000 users already, its going to be as common to see beautiful renders from octane posted at Evermotion just as its common to see top quality vray renders.
To me quality of still renders from kray, vray, octane are not that far.
What sets them apart are the feature set and in animation. Kray 2.0 didn't have micropoly disp, exr support, compositing workflow, fur, etc. That's where it has to catch up.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

No user will change V-ray to Octane ...you can be sure (only a few disappointed by theirs own quality and searching something which doesn`t exist: "magic button render")
I know these renders. Very nice. But I do not know any tech specification for that: time, resolution, post process. Can be anything. I know strategy render engines companies: showing nice renders without RAW or without time render or with pre calculated GI or with horrible expensive hardware.
For me what is more important: normal user take "these" engine renders to home ...and start be disappointed because whatever you use - IS NOT EASY! Even in Octane.

...The skill and artistic point is the most important and this doesn`t exist in software....
In PovRay or Podium people make really nice renders and these Engines are far a way from V-ray or Octane.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

btw, if you will send me this scene: http://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/2012/01 ... e-corners/ (of course is small probability because you are perhaps no owner of that) I will do it in Kray :wink: Also is big probability the owner will not send me it also if I will ask...
nico

Post by nico »

Octane, vray, maxwell....we have best sw for render but for us without kray not food!!!! So long life to kray and happy render!!!

We don't need to excuse....we work with kray and it's ok.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Anyway here is my short story for people who lost sometimes:

I start use Lightwave since version 4.0 (Amiga Golden Age) but before I used Real 1.4 (one floppy disc) so over 20 years ago I render with speed over 3000 times slower then now....I am not gifted or big artist (there on the World are really gifted people)
I stick with LW because ...I tried all another software and always I backed to LW.
I do not know LW fully (I am not film producer so I do not need dig that deep in LW)
but after many years I released: the real power is in mind and then I start use my gift - incredible deep photo memory and huge imagination :wink:
This I use fully for very limited and difficult Kray Engine. Also I am happy for Grzegorz, he start create on Amiga first code lines 10 years ago for fun and now Kray (even with these limits) can compete with the best engine renders. He is real genius with huge knowledge and mind and I believe K3 will be really great software without any shame :wink:
the3dcie

Post by the3dcie »

Janusz Biela wrote:No user will change V-ray to Octane ...you can be sure (only a few disappointed by theirs own quality and searching something which doesn`t exist: "magic button render")
I know these renders. Very nice. But I do not know any tech specification for that: time, resolution, post process. Can be anything. I know strategy render engines companies: showing nice renders without RAW or without time render or with pre calculated GI or with horrible expensive hardware.
For me what is more important: normal user take "these" engine renders to home ...and start be disappointed because whatever you use - IS NOT EASY! Even in Octane.

...The skill and artistic point is the most important and this doesn`t exist in software....
In PovRay or Podium people make really nice renders and these Engines are far a way from V-ray or Octane.
You're so right about this !
I wouldn't mind be in your brain sometimes so that i would be a Kray master as well ! :D

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)
Keraressi Abdelkarim

Post by Keraressi Abdelkarim »

Jnom pls u talk about bertrand benoit once again im not janusz biela .cause jansuz he is the best .i can say im student of janusz and i can do any render u see it from bertrand benoit with my basic surfaces editor just in some materiel but about lighting and render realistinc easy with kray and + bertrand have dual xeon or more.. i know they have 40 thread dual x8 xeon ex.... but with i7 i can acheive theris quality and the same time. I wonder when janusz buy new hardware dual xeon u will understand what it mean 3d render and how much kray render stuning engine. Soon i will poste scn from bertrand benoit i remodel it and i put my render there. Enjoy i have poor computer old i7 950 3,06 ghz and 16g ram. :mrgreen:

pls give me any render u see it stuning from bertrand and i will remake it with kray .i promise u
jnom

Post by jnom »

Janusz Biela wrote: ...The skill and artistic point is the most important and this doesn`t exist in software....
Yep that was my point. The renderers now are pretty close and its up to the artist to raise the quality.
But the renderers must support certain features to have broader appeal and bigger, healthier userbase. If a renderer doesn't have micropoly disp, exr, hair, robust animation, etc, then the people that often need these features will use renderers that do. Vray is not really better than kray in terms of render engine but even with vray being so old and having outdated core, its featureset is robust with support for many things other renderers don't have. That's why octane is trying so fast to add these similar features like exr, microdisplacement, hair, motionblur, etc.
Its a battle of features not a battle of render speed, quality anymore. Most renderers are mature enough that they all have good render speed, quality today that its not the biggest factor for users. Octane is slower in some cases compared to biased engine but the features are very useful that's what draws people to it.
nico

Post by nico »

today i've installed lw 11.6.3 + kray 2.56 and work fine! :wink:
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Thx for info. I should not be problem. but if something wrong will appear please post it :wink:
3dworks

Post by 3dworks »

is it safe to have installed kray 3 beta and 2.5.6 together in LW 11.6.2?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Yes. You can use both in the same time. They are completely independent.
3dworks

Re: KRAY 2.56 is outq

Post by 3dworks »

thanks, good to know... however, as with previous version (and as reported), i'm getting just crashes when rendering with LW 11.6.2 on mac here... better wait for V3 then. :shock: