Maybe a bug: DP fresnel transmission (and solution)

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
S0nny

Maybe a bug: DP fresnel transmission (and solution)

Post by S0nny »

I guys, when I was experimenting with Kray demo the other day, I was having some problems that I couldn't figure out. Then I finally found the solution, here's what happens:

If you use DP fresnel node and connect transmission 1 or 2 to diffuse or transparency (that's the invert of reflection) the kray render goes crazy.
In attach you can see the rendering and the node setup. I simply solved using the invert node, but since lw engine doesn't have this problem it tooks long for me to solve this 'bug'.

Look also at the render time, same settings is like stuck, with the fixed node does render in seconds.
Attachments
Node setup without bug
Node setup without bug
Node setup with bug
Node setup with bug
Problem solved, also render fast
Problem solved, also render fast
Render stuck and strange artifacts
Render stuck and strange artifacts
Janusz Biela

Re: Maybe a bug: DP fresnel transmission (and solution)

Post by Janusz Biela »

Do not waste time, here is solution for you:
- auto diffuse
- auto inverse
- special reflection limit
- Fresnel
- clamps to keep values in range 0-100% and protect artefacts

What you have to do is change colour and reflection value (Fresnel) according to your needs.
This "starter" for all surfaces. It should be in all surfaces.

Slowly I prepare my self to start special topic only for Nodes...but always I have to do something in home. But it get closer :wink:

Edit: Diffuse level is in Subtract and has value 100% (1.0) but this is reduced when Fresnel has value over 1.0 (no reflection).
This Subtract level has auto levelling and it should NOT be touch!
So if reflection in Fresnel is 1.0 (no reflection) surface has 100% diffuse.
If color is gray (128,128,128) and reflection 0% still Diffuse is 100% but Kray automatically calculate photons bounced from this surface (by luma information) and reduce diffuse to 50% from this color.
If color is black (0,0,0) and 0% reflection from Fresnel - diffuse from Node is 100% but Kray reduce power of photons to ZERO (photons doesn`t reflect from this color)
But you do not need it - important is Kray control diffuse when color is changed.
It is similar to Albedo system from Maxwell (of course not exactly - is just simulation - so need much less calculation but effect is almost the same in render: Looks good!)
Attachments
ScreenShot042.jpg
plastic.rar
(8.12 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
S0nny

Post by S0nny »

Thanks Janusz, I tested this node from the other post. It works well!
The fact is, since all my works and materlas are saved for the 'classic' lw engine, I was trying to run different object and scenes to see what materials I really need to re-setup or if I can keep something. You know, under a dead line in a hurry is a problem to setup again all this stuff, so my experiments for now are about compatibility check. Next step buy the license :D

btw, I tried to contact Grzegorz via the form in Contact page, because I was having problem with vies and vat, but I didn't receive any answer. It' all right? I can wait anyway.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

S0nny wrote:Thanks Janusz, I tested this node from the other post. It works well!
The fact is, since all my works and materlas are saved for the 'classic' lw engine, I was trying to run different object and scenes to see what materials I really need to re-setup or if I can keep something. You know, under a dead line in a hurry is a problem to setup again all this stuff, so my experiments for now are about compatibility check. Next step buy the license :D

btw, I tried to contact Grzegorz via the form in Contact page, because I was having problem with vies and vat, but I didn't receive any answer. It' all right? I can wait anyway.
Native LW engine render is very old and basic ...I heard they will soon update it with many new features. Do not compare LW and Kray because distance in Photon Transport is huge and many thinks starts looks very good in Kray only - for example Nodes surfaces - they are build perfect for Kray (it is connected strongly with very accurate photon map from Kray engine and Phat Tracing photons in Photon Mapping)
Another way: surfaces in Kray looks way better then from LW because better and more accurate GI.

Grzegorz is perhaps on vacation...he disconnect from work totally when he rest (reset brain)

PS
The biggest innovation in my system Nodes is Multiplying layers and injection system. Will explain it in main time.
S0nny

Post by S0nny »

Janusz Biela wrote:
PS
The biggest innovation in my system Nodes is Multiplying layers and injection system. Will explain it in main time.
I'm really curious about this injection system ;-)
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Yes. Soon I start - You will see how power full is system and how easy from two/three textures make ultra realistic surface.