LightWave vs Arnold vs Octane...

General disscusion about Kray
erikals

LightWave vs Arnold vs Octane...

Post by erikals »

...versus Kray?
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php ... 1363454498

don't own Kray, but it be interesting to see the Kray rendertime for this LW scene...
anyone feel like giving it a go? could be interesting...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php ... ost1309359
Janusz Biela

Re: LightWave vs Arnold vs Octane...

Post by Janusz Biela »

Thank You for info! By curiosity will check this scene. Also please notice: 1 GI bounce...this is useless in my opinion - by this You are very close Raytracing , which means bad transport of light. They should put minimum 5 bounce lights then You would see real time render (read: huge). Thanks !
erikals

Post by erikals »

hi Janusz, thanks,

any test render though...?
jnom

Post by jnom »

Gpu is fast and exponential power so might be that 2 gfx cards will be faster than using one pc in kray. But kray is fast enough with one computer anyway.
Vray will totally obliterate it with distributed render, which hopefully kray 3.0 should have as priority. Not network render btw. Distributed render rocks.
jnom

Post by jnom »

I'll just repost what I said in another thread here.
For me octane strength is not with archiviz, interiors, productviz. Its faster to do those things in biased renderers like vray, kray, lw.
The real power of octane is the gpu unbiased bruteforce which can deal with animation better. Since there's no tricks or cheats, there's less error in the render from frame to frame. I hope kray 3.0 brings with it gpu based bruteforce rendering like fprime was for cpu. It doesn't necessarily have to be an unbiased renderer. Just take advantage of gpu to speed up bruteforce or uncached mode.

So kray must show that it can compete in bruteforce animation. :mrgreen: