kray 3.0 preview

General disscusion about Kray
jure

Re: kray 3.0 preview

Post by jure »

jonathlee wrote:Then using Nvidia Cards would feel the extra advantage with CUDA cores?

If so then we can invest graphic cards with more CUDA cores to speed up both the rendering.
Kray3 will support OpenCL so Nvidia is not the only option for gfx cards. We have yet to see how much calculation we will be able to offload to gfx card in production.
- Jure
gristle

Post by gristle »

Sounds like a good update. I've been watching the Octane plugin development with some interest, but Kray 3 just got alot more interesting with the OpenCL/Hybrid info. Just need to fast forward a few months :)
jonathlee

Post by jonathlee »

Wondering if there's any leak on Kray 3.0 ui preview :twisted:
jure

Post by jure »

jonathlee wrote:Wondering if there's any leak on Kray 3.0 ui preview :twisted:
There can't be because there is none yet. :)
- Jure
brownie

Post by brownie »

We could have some kind of poll or contest to gather opinions and suggestions from us, historic users of Kray.
I'be noticed some interesting news on our homepage... :)
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

jonathlee wrote:Wondering if there's any leak on Kray 3.0 ui preview :twisted:

I design this in my head still (soon I will start put all ideas on the paper and with Jure we will choice what is the best) ...so do not worry will be very useful and easy for beginners also :wink:
jonathlee

Post by jonathlee »

Then how bout the Material Settings? Using Lightwave Nodes?

All material set within Lightwave or Kray 3.0?
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Janusz, one thing would be nice, to be able for beginners to have sliders to control speed / quality
ans some options to turn on / off (interior, exterior, heavy scene, vegetation...) but also "preview" and so on
That way the software chooses the best settings based on all those parameters.
This would be the "easy render" Tab

one guy did a tool like that for Vray Damien Bataille
http://deex.info/wordpress2/tools/deex-vray-fast/
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

khan973 wrote:Janusz, one thing would be nice, to be able for beginners to have sliders to control speed / quality
ans some options to turn on / off (interior, exterior, heavy scene, vegetation...) but also "preview" and so on
That way the software chooses the best settings based on all those parameters.
This would be the "easy render" Tab

one guy did a tool like that for Vray Damien Bataille
http://deex.info/wordpress2/tools/deex-vray-fast/
Yes will be two buttons in render tab:
Full Quality render and fast preview
I want more basic then this from link :)
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Yeah, more basic is definnitely great.
THat's why I was suggesting

1. a slider between speed and quality

2. options you can activate to help better choose the settings (based on your tremendous experience)
- interior / exterior
- light scene / medium scene / heavy scene
- Camera motion Slow / medium / fast
- vegetation

Or maybe and that would be better, Kray 3 can scan the scene and see how many polys / what are the objects surfaces (blurred, complexe shading), moving objects or not, moving camera (+ velocity) and if there are instances and then it just gives the best compromise between the actual scene composition and quality / speed.
That way we only need one slider, a cache saving option and interior exterior selection.

3. hire Matt Gorner to do the interface and Ben Vost for the Manual.

I know, I might be dreaming but to me the tool has to be smart and intuitive. An "expert" mode can let all the parameters, but all the infos are here to check the scene, the objects, the surfaces and in my opinion, the renderer can be smart enough to put the best parameters according to how the scene and objects are built.
khan973

Post by khan973 »

In terms of passes, will we have more possibilities, more passes?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

khan973 wrote:Yeah, more basic is definnitely great.
THat's why I was suggesting

1. a slider between speed and quality
I think no: practically the best way is HighQ and LowQ render button (full quality or ultra fast for light prev) , so only two buttons. I think also about medium for fast setup surfaces with good AA, but this is maximum. So You are right: will be better three options :)
khan973 wrote:2. options you can activate to help better choose the settings (based on your tremendous experience)
- interior / exterior
- light scene / medium scene / heavy scene
- Camera motion Slow / medium / fast
- vegetation
I prefer only first: Interior/exterior.
light scene / medium scene / heavy scene: Kray is very fast with shooting photons so to shoot 2 millions photons in small scene will waste 5-20 sec more only and is better even when You shoot more photons (is more accurate photon map)
Camera motion Slow / medium / fast: this is doesn`t matter I think.
I want selector for animation tab -
- standard animation (no moving objects and lights) + selector small/big scene (this is important for cache GI. Huge scene will render without GI save, only with SAVE PHOTON MAP)
- advanced animation (there options for all kind of scenes with moving objects/lights...so time interpolation)

khan973 wrote:Or maybe and that would be better, Kray 3 can scan the scene and see how many polys / what are the objects surfaces (blurred, complexe shading), moving objects or not, moving camera (+ velocity) and if there are instances and then it just gives the best compromise between the actual scene composition and quality / speed.
That way we only need one slider, a cache saving option and interior exterior selection.

Auto mode I would like exchange with extend button (this will be second layer of GUI and all options for advanced users will be there) I think Auto mode will never works correct. For big scenes important is to fill scene with photons. We use only save Photon Map with option Load. Important is to shoot for example 5 millions or more (this take time but this is only once) than after that You can render whole animation without worry's (this is matter only of power CPU. I prefer this method with saving Photon Map (no GI map!)
Of course animation tab in GUI will be Full Auto. So after press the render button You will receive information what happen (to be sure ) : is save Photon Map or GI map with BAKE...if photon map save option is use then You can use this file (will be request where save and how use) for another computer (with this You do not need network system for small amount of computers)
Thank You for interest ! :)
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

khan973 wrote:In terms of passes, will we have more possibilities, more passes?
With new engine maybe will be no passes. All samples will be calculate in one pass.
khan973

Post by khan973 »

Thank you for all your answers, I want Kray 3 to be badass!
For the passes, I wasn't refering to samples but to passes that are stacked in the buffer (reflection pass, AO pass, refraction pass).
This is what I'm missing the most right now. When using nuke, I need to get extra passes and I use DP_Filter.
LW's F9 has also many passes (althought many of them are shitty) so I'd love to be able to get all the passes I can imagine right in Kray 3.

Would there be a way to communicate with DP_Filter or to create our own passes ?
A nodal buffer system would be to notch :evil:

Anyway, what's new on that note? because the render as it is (except for vegetation speed and AA speed) is fine for my needs but materials, displacement (+ microdisplacement) and passes aren't good enough for extensive work.

Last but not least question:
would there be a way to get many machines calculate the same image?
I have Virtual render anyway, but just asking.

Thanks for your dedication and longlasting energy to share your knowledge.
You should get NT's attention to have a profile on their website as a power user...
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

khan973 wrote:Thank you for all your answers, I want Kray 3 to be badass!
For the passes, I wasn't refering to samples but to passes that are stacked in the buffer (reflection pass, AO pass, refraction pass).
This is what I'm missing the most right now. When using nuke, I need to get extra passes and I use DP_Filter.
LW's F9 has also many passes (althought many of them are shitty) so I'd love to be able to get all the passes I can imagine right in Kray 3.
I understood passes in GI, sorry :)
This is possible to do (for example openEXR will be also) What kind of extra passes You used by DP_Filter?
Would there be a way to communicate with DP_Filter or to create our own passes ?
A nodal buffer system would be to notch :evil:
Grzegorz told me about own Nodal system in Kray...so there will be everything.
Anyway, what's new on that note? because the render as it is (except for vegetation speed and AA speed) is fine for my needs but materials, displacement (+ microdisplacement) and passes aren't good enough for extensive work.
With new engine will be faster GI ...so also AA and blur phase will be faster because is less calculations (more accurate) with Final Gather. Also will be update of AA engine + Motion Blur (many thinks are interpolated now from LW , why Area Light, MB and many another parts of Lightwave are render longer then should be )
Last but not least question:
would there be a way to get many machines calculate the same image?
I have Virtual render anyway, but just asking.
No information yet about this. This is not easy to do.
Generally I wait for official information from G. so I can not confirm everything. :)