Tonemapping for a noob

Post your tutorials and help questions in this forum
desarts

Tonemapping for a noob

Post by desarts »

Hi everybody.

I'm trying out tonemapping on the kray_tutorial_2.0 scene. It seems to have lots of power.

1 question remains.. Do i realy have rerender the whole image to test new tonemapping settings?

Make note that i'm a total noob in kray so forgive me if the answer is pretty straightforward .

Thx in advance for your help! :)
jnom

Re: Tonemapping for a noob

Post by jnom »

Well that is old way but most archiviz purist do it this way.
Other way is to do tonemapping after rendering to exr or hdr. There are many tonemapping software on then net but if you have photoshop or aftereffects you can do tonemapping there.
Personally I render to 32bit float linear then just do tonemapping in aftereffects so I don't waste 10-15min on test renders.
desarts

Post by desarts »

So there is no way in LW with kray to do it on the fly with the Kray tonemapper?
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

desarts wrote:So there is no way in LW with kray to do it on the fly with the Kray tonemapper?
It is only one way to do with Kray: Kray+tonemaping from Kray.
I think render to HDR is waste of time . Just use LWF Gamma + Exponential BLENDING. Search on the forum my last setup of tonemaping also.
jnom

Post by jnom »

Sorry johny slightly disagree about wasting time. Burning in tonemap in image is one way. The other way doing in post is done by majority of studios around the world doing film, tv, even some archi people. So we must have exr in kray soon.